Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to: 2015+ Column to Console shift Conversion Guide

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 12:31 PM
Tommy

Received 4,265 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Default How to: 2015+ Column to Console shift Conversion Guide

Since my successful conversion from Column to Console shift I have received numerous PM’s asking what was involved, and a breakdown of parts required for the conversion. I’m starting this thread so that all information & questions/answers will be in one place for anyone planning to try this in the future. I will gladly answer any questions & help in any way that I can.

This conversion has also been successfully completed by @2k12 FX2 and @bobay76 so they may be able to share their experience also.

I will start by saying that this is a labor intensive process that requires removal and replacement of your existing wiring… that being said -
I am not responsible for any damages caused to your vehicle by following this guide.

It is important that you research vehicles of the same year and model that are equipped the same as yours (I.E. XLT or Lariat, 4X4 or 4X2, Electronic locking diff, Electronic parking brake, etc.) since you want to insure the wiring harness you purchase is compatible to your trucks features.

I searched the internet for used trucks (especially Sport versions since most are console shift) then using a piece of software flsdiver created called As Built hacker (you can download it from his thread - https://www.f150forum.com/f118/asbui...ftware-370364/ )

I compared the possible matches to my own VIN# using the ETIS COMPARE tab until I found a truck that was equipped identical to my own. Once I found the donor truck that I felt comfortable with I ordered the Main harness & Console harness using its VIN#

Parts list

I highly recommend that you purchase a copy of your trucks Factory Repair (Service) Manual. It includes detailed information on how these trucks are assembled

Main Wiring Harness: FL3Z-14401-U (correct FOR MY TRUCK)
Console Wiring Harness : FL3Z-14A318-F (correct for 2015 yr model)
Steering Wheel Shroud : FL3Z-3530-BD
Center Console: (Unknown Part #) Can be found on eBay for 300-600 dollars
Console Shift Lever: FL3Z-7210-GC (Part# may be different depending on what color stitching you want)
Control Cable: FL3Z-7E395-C
Lower Panel: GL3Z-1504567-CA

If your truck has an existing center console Without the shifter, there are square holes in the console where the shifter mounts, you will need to buy 4 bolts and 4 nut clips to bolt the shifter in place

the part numbers I have used for those are:

Bolt : W711685S900
Nut : W717086S439
(These are not the correct nuts that go in the console but once they spread open they will work)

After you have all of the parts for this project you will start by disconnecting the battery & removing the center console and dash. It is recommended that you mark EVERY connection you remove so that you know what connects to what when you reinstall.

Ridgebacks has a thread on pulling the dash that gives a step by step how-to.

It can be found here: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/laria...ll-xlt-374174/

After removing the dash, take your existing wiring harness off of the Reinforcement beam and install the new harness – transferring your connection IDs as you go. Remove the Column shift cable from the truck as well as the shifter from the column. Reinstall the dash and reconnect all connections.

If using a center console that wasn’t console shift equipped, replace the wiring harness with the new one. Install the console shift cable thru the existing hole in the floor. Mount the console in place; connect the shift cable to shifter. Install the shifter, lower panel, and reconnect/Adjust the cable to the transmission.

Final step – Enjoy the Fruits of your Labor!
The following 5 users liked this post by Firerunner:
2k12 FX2 (06-11-2017), 4X4Pony (11-29-2017), babygolden (09-16-2020), Powerlifter405 (06-15-2021), white_dc (02-16-2018)
Old 06-10-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

This is a great tool to have to make the job a little easier.
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
Firerunner (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 12:58 PM
Tommy

2k12 FX2, I'm not the best at doing write-ups which is why I've put it off for so long, did I miss anything?
Old 06-10-2017, 01:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Firerunner
Since my successful conversion from Column to Console shift I have received numerous PM’s asking what was involved, and a breakdown of parts required for the conversion. I’m starting this thread so that all information & questions/answers will be in one place for anyone planning to try this in the future. I will gladly answer any questions & help in any way that I can.

This conversion has also been successfully completed by @2k12 FX2 and @bobay76 so they may be able to share their experience also.

I will start by saying that this is a labor intensive process that requires removal and replacement of your existing wiring… that being said -
I am not responsible for any damages caused to your vehicle by following this guide.

It is important that you research vehicles of the same year and model that are equipped the same as yours (I.E. XLT or Lariat, 4X4 or 4X2, Electronic locking diff, Electronic parking brake, etc.) since you want to insure the wiring harness you purchase is compatible to your trucks features.

I searched the internet for used trucks (especially Sport versions since most are console shift) then using a piece of software flsdiver created called As Built hacker (you can download it from his thread - https://www.f150forum.com/f118/asbui...ftware-370364/ )

I compared the possible matches to my own VIN# using the ETIS COMPARE tab until I found a truck that was equipped identical to my own. Once I found the donor truck that I felt comfortable with I ordered the Main harness & Console harness using its VIN#

Parts list

I highly recommend that you purchase a copy of your trucks Factory Repair (Service) Manual. It includes detailed information on how these trucks are assembled

Main Wiring Harness: FL3Z-14401-U (correct FOR MY TRUCK)
Console Wiring Harness : FL3Z-14A318-F (correct for 2015 yr model)
Steering Wheel Shroud : FL3Z-3530-BD
Center Console: (Unknown Part #) Can be found on eBay for 300-600 dollars
Console Shift Lever: FL3Z-7210-GC (Part# may be different depending on what color stitching you want)
Control Cable: FL3Z-7E395-C
Lower Panel: GL3Z-1504567-CA

If your truck has an existing center console Without the shifter, there are square holes in the console where the shifter mounts, you will need to buy 4 bolts and 4 nut clips to bolt the shifter in place

the part numbers I have used for those are:

Bolt : W711685S900
Nut : W717086S439
(These are not the correct nuts that go in the console but once they spread open they will work)

After you have all of the parts for this project you will start by disconnecting the battery & removing the center console and dash. It is recommended that you mark EVERY connection you remove so that you know what connects to what when you reinstall.

Ridgebacks has a thread on pulling the dash that gives a step by step how-to.

It can be found here: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/laria...ll-xlt-374174/

After removing the dash, take your existing wiring harness off of the Reinforcement beam and install the new harness – transferring your connection IDs as you go. Remove the Column shift cable from the truck as well as the shifter from the column. Reinstall the dash and reconnect all connections.

If using a center console that wasn’t console shift equipped, replace the wiring harness with the new one. Install the console shift cable thru the existing hole in the floor. Mount the console in place; connect the shift cable to shifter. Install the shifter, lower panel, and reconnect/Adjust the cable to the transmission.

Final step – Enjoy the Fruits of your Labor!

Awesome write up! Thanks!
Firerunner (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 03:07 PM

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

I think its great. Pretty straight forward. Just like you said, labor intensive.

Originally Posted by Firerunner
2k12 FX2, I'm not the best at doing write-ups which is why I've put it off for so long, did I miss anything?
Old 06-10-2017, 05:40 PM

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

thanks for taking time to help others.
Firerunner (08-06-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 02:51 PM
Tommy

This was asked in another thread about adding the console shifter...

Originally Posted by White-Out
Bumping this up to see if I can get an answer here. What was the main reasoning behind needing the new main harness?
The answer I gave: The wiring required for the console shifter is not populated in the harness connection on a column shift truck.

I should add that the console shift has more wires than the column shift making the possibility of making your own "extension" from old harness to console shifter a nightmare in my opinion
Old 06-26-2017, 10:40 PM
Tommy

I have received a few PM's asking how to tell what year the console wiring is if a shifter equipped console was purchased used. The best way I have found to "date" the console is the wiring part#.

If the wiring harness starts with FL3Z it will be a 2015 harness, 2016 harnesses will start with part# GL3Z
Old 07-23-2017, 04:54 PM
Tommy

Removed outdated post

Last edited by Firerunner; 08-06-2017 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Removed outdated post
Old 11-10-2017, 10:14 PM
Tommy

Default BREAK THROUGH for those not wanting to change main harness!!

Member @DeeMiniioon has pioneered the process of moving the column shift wiring to the console WITHOUT replacing the trucks main harness. I asked his permission to post his process here so that it may help any other members that want an alternative to replacing the original harness.

As stated in the original post: "We are NOT responsible for any damages caused to your vehicle by following these guides".

As he described this to me, he stated his truck was a Regular Cab 2016 XLT so he did not have a need for the Ambient lighting, rear power connections, etc. for his truck. Also his console wires actually reached the original truck wiring with no problems.

On the column there are two harnesses, one for the actual shifter and one with just two wires - a black/blue wire and violet which is for the illumination of the PRNDM. He just tapped them into other illuminated switch close by (they actually all have the same colored wires).

The Console shifter has 10 wires and your truck will only have 9, but that is not an issue since 2 wires from the console are grounds that can be spliced together. On the column there will be two connections - one on top that has 5 wires that will take care of tow/sport, and up/down shift. There is another connection on the bottom that has 4 wires and that one takes care of gear selector and lockout.

Starting with the top connection first which is for tow/sport,up/down shift:

Truck Wiring Color / Console Wiring Color
-Green with violet stripe / Violet
-Gray / Gray
-Brown with White stripe / Brown with white stripe
-Yellow with Purple stripe / Yellow
-Brown with Green stripe / Brown with Green stripe

Next, the bottom connection has four wires used for gear indicator and gear lockout:

Truck Wiring Color / Console Wiring Color
-Blue with Tan stripe / Black
-White with Brown stripe / White with Brown stripe
-Green / Green
-Black with Blue stripe / Blue (X2) - Both of these are ground wires that can be spliced together

Please direct any questions of this method to @DeeMiniioon, He has completed this process & has the knowledge to answer your questions.
The following 2 users liked this post by Firerunner:
babygolden (09-16-2020), Canuck714 (10-29-2020)

Quick Reply: How to: 2015+ Column to Console shift Conversion Guide