Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

APIM Module replacement?

Old 08-26-2016, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default APIM Module replacement?

Hey guys,

Ive got a 2016 F150, build date in March 2016. Purchased in May and has a little over 5k on it now. Within the first 1k miles, I started having a weird issue with the audio. At times, it will be completely unresponsive to the touch screen inputs and hard button inputs. It will reset after I've shut the truck off and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Hard & soft resets have no effect.

So I took it in today to get it checked out. The dealership is telling me that the APIM module needs replacement. If I understand correctly, this is basically the brains of the Sync system.

A few questions:
Is this common?
Where is it located?
How difficult is the repair?
And, do you believe this is actually the problem?

Thanks, mtdawg
Old 08-26-2016, 02:46 PM
Ford Truck Lover

Received 748 Likes on 457 Posts

Known issue. My wife's 2013 Ford Fusion has a TSB for extended warranty covering the APIM.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:06 PM

Well, I was just looking at a thread where a bunch of people are having the same issue. This doesn't seem to be the resolution for the audio issue. As far as I can tell, people have been having this problem since Sync 3 rolled out and there still isn't a resolution from Ford. Makes me wonder if replacing the APIM will actually solve the audio problem.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:54 AM

I also have a 2016 F150 that I bought in Feb. 2016 and I started having problems in October (~8 months old; ~20,000 miles). The voice playback started stuttering, the GPS shown a "No GPS" symbol, the GPS arrow starting wondering off in random directions, and buttons were unresponsive. It also won't stay connected to my iPhone 6s+ via Bluetooth. Sometimes the rear-view camera would stay on for a few minutes even though I was driving forward at 60-70 mph. Since October, I've been to 2 different dealerships a total of 5 times (truck is currently there now). They are going to replace the APIM for the second time...I don't have much faith in this actually working but I hope this works.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:09 PM

Default This is happening with my Edge as well

I've been trying to find more information out about this. They replaced my APIM but now they can't get it to update, they said it could be days or longer before we get a response from Engineers to diagnose if additional parts are required, or if there is some other piece that needs to be downloaded before it will accept the sync program installation.

Did anyone else experience this with the APIM swap? It worked alright before just went black screen when really cold outside sometimes but if I remote started the car it was fine. I thought it was going to be an easy fix.... Got to love computers!
Old 05-15-2017, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by AGGIE70MAN
I also have a 2016 F150 that I bought in Feb. 2016 and I started having problems in October (~8 months old; ~20,000 miles). The voice playback started stuttering, the GPS shown a "No GPS" symbol, the GPS arrow starting wondering off in random directions, and buttons were unresponsive. It also won't stay connected to my iPhone 6s+ via Bluetooth. Sometimes the rear-view camera would stay on for a few minutes even though I was driving forward at 60-70 mph. Since October, I've been to 2 different dealerships a total of 5 times (truck is currently there now). They are going to replace the APIM for the second time...I don't have much faith in this actually working but I hope this works.
Same thing is happening to me now!!! 2016 F150 in the shop at Latham Ford. They said they can't call in the warranty part because while testing while the truck is sitting around they see no issues but while driving they see all the issues. I called Ford Customer Care but the lady was as useful as a wet piece of toilet paper. Did the second APIM replacement fix your issue? How the F* do you get the dealership/repair service center to replace it under warranty when they say they can't?!?! wtf is going on here!??!

Old 05-26-2017, 03:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine went in this morning because the bluetooth would not longer turn on in the truck. APIM module on order.

Marty
Old 05-26-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I were you I would have the audio control module looked at. That was my problem. Took them over a month to figure it out even though I told them to check into the ACM
Old 05-26-2017, 04:41 PM

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Just had mine replaced last week build date Feb 16. They had to overnight the part. It's been good ever since. There was a service bulletin on this. They also gave me the 2.2 update !
Old 01-17-2018, 03:40 PM

Default APIM Replacement 2016 F-150 SYNC3

Mfg. 6/16. Has Sync Software Ver 2.3. System was set to Auto Update and had just recently updated to 2.3 when I noticed the symptoms. The symptoms I experienced, was that the Voice Recognition was not working. Everything thing else seemed to be working fine, but if I initiated the Voice Recognition button, I got a display "Voice Recognition not ready". Also, I had not Audio Prompt or notifications from the Navigation system. It would find my route and track, but would not speak the directions. A Master Reset of the SYNC3 system did not resolve it. That only wiped out all my settings and saved stuff. Dealer replaced the APIM and all appears to be working again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: APIM Module replacement?