Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding auto climate to XLT.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 10:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Adding auto climate to XLT.

I’ve read through several old threads that I can use a Lariat radio bezel to get auto climate (but not dual) on my XLT. The notes in the old threads say that heated seats will no longer work as they are activated a different way. Have any of the mod/wiring experts on here came up with a way to make the heat work again as this would be a deal breaker for me.

How about adding cooling? The blower modules are relatively cheap on eBay. If I could get heat/ac seats to work on my XLT with auto temp
control, that would be pretty awesome.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:44 PM

Received 430 Likes on 329 Posts

I bet it's a matter of putting in a seperate switch to the stock XLT relay for the heated seat module such that you can't use the AC panel button for heated seats - that runs though software.

but you can put a stand alone button in to the relay and kick them on that way.

I'm curious as to how you'd get the mixer door control to work let alone the fan module. I bet if you were to take all the interior AC pieces of the lariat it would be that much easier. IE the mixer chaber, doors - door motors, blowers etc. IE I'd find a donor wrecked truck for parts I think.

Good luck and I am curious as to how this might work. Auto Climate is one feature I sort of wanted but didn't really need.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:07 PM

Received 391 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Napalm
I bet it's a matter of putting in a seperate switch to the stock XLT relay for the heated seat module such that you can't use the AC panel button for heated seats - that runs though software.

but you can put a stand alone button in to the relay and kick them on that way.

I'm curious as to how you'd get the mixer door control to work let alone the fan module. I bet if you were to take all the interior AC pieces of the lariat it would be that much easier. IE the mixer chaber, doors - door motors, blowers etc. IE I'd find a donor wrecked truck for parts I think.

Good luck and I am curious as to how this might work. Auto Climate is one feature I sort of wanted but didn't really need.
The heated cooled seats are controlled by the DSM under the seat, it gets its signal via the networking in the truck.
The only thing that really works in the Climate control is the auto temperature. You would have to replace everything behind the dash to get true climate control.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:12 PM

Received 600 Likes on 441 Posts

You need a new dash harness, solar sensors, temp discharge sensors and ducts from a Lariat. In addition to the FCIM
Old 10-04-2018, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by TexasFording
You need a new dash harness, solar sensors, temp discharge sensors and ducts from a Lariat. In addition to the FCIM
curious what the additional sensors in the lariat do? There must be some type of temp sensor in the XLT because the AC or heated seats turn on automatically when you remote start depending on temp. Reading the manual on auto the system will pick which discharge points to use along with fan speed and temp. If one were to only add the bezel then auto would only change the temp? Or would it change discharge points and fan speeds as well? I’m trying to see how close I can get to the lariat setup without the ducting.

Has anyone tried more than just the bezel?
Old 10-05-2018, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by bdresch

curious what the additional sensors in the lariat do? There must be some type of temp sensor in the XLT because the AC or heated seats turn on automatically when you remote start depending on temp. Reading the manual on auto the system will pick which discharge points to use along with fan speed and temp. If one were to only add the bezel then auto would only change the temp? Or would it change discharge points and fan speeds as well? I’m trying to see how close I can get to the lariat setup without the ducting.

Has anyone tried more than just the bezel?
the auto temp will work if you change the bezel. It will control the fan and keep the temp at whatever you set it for. But it will not use the different discharge points since you don’t have the blend doors or anything else. All the sensors report the temperature for the driver and passenger floor ducts and the ducts in the dash, how much the blend door is open/closed. Besides what Airborne Ape listed for parts, it has a completely different housing behind the dash. I had it working in my XL, nothing exciting. If it was the complete system I would probably like it a bit more. If you set it at 72’ that’s what it makes the truck, makes no difference if it’s 25 on the floor. The temperature sensor for the remote start is right next to the steering wheel on the dash, small little grill in the dash.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:49 AM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordy49913

the auto temp will work if you change the bezel. It will control the fan and keep the temp at whatever you set it for. But it will not use the different discharge points since you don’t have the blend doors or anything else. All the sensors report the temperature for the driver and passenger floor ducts and the ducts in the dash, how much the blend door is open/closed. Besides what Airborne Ape listed for parts, it has a completely different housing behind the dash. I had it working in my XL, nothing exciting. If it was the complete system I would probably like it a bit more. If you set it at 72’ that’s what it makes the truck, makes no difference if it’s 25 on the floor. The temperature sensor for the remote start is right next to the steering wheel on the dash, small little grill in the dash.
I'm confused as to what is meant by the XLT not having a blend door and discharge points...

The blend door is fed by the hot and cold ducts, and mixes hot/cold to achieve whatever temp is desired for disharge. All vehicle have a blend door if they have A/C installed. Those that don't still have a blend door between the hot duct and a bypass duct.

My XLT has three discharge points. Windshield, passenger and floor. I can have any of the three on under any condition except max cool, which pushes it all to the passengers for obvious reasons.

I also have a recirculate button, so there is an external vent as well.

Am I correct in thinking that what is meant by XLT's not having discharge points is that the do not have air control doors for the discharge ducts to permit dual air control?

And if so, what is required to JUST get automatic air going? I've got zero issues changing discharge points as I feel necessary, but it would be nice if I didn't have to change the fan and temp everytime I get in the vehicle, or when clouds pass over, or as I'm going from day to night on a long drive. I've never had dual air, it would probably be nice, but what I really miss is temperature regulation.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 430 Likes on 329 Posts

the auto climate system ford uses also included the dual independent zone system - so the blend box is larger with a spliter in the middle such that if DR wants 73 and the PAss wants 78 - the divider shuts so there are 2 blends - and then each side feeds their ducts. It's extra sensors to support this feature - and extra motors. I think there's even 2 different blowers there too such that it can vary the flow LH or RH accordingly. (say DR wants max cold, but pax wants 74)

It's been a while since I saw a schematic but it's a bit more complicated and as mentioned above there's some extra sensors in the air ducts and I think in the cabin for feedback and control.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm
the auto climate system ford uses also included the dual independent zone system - so the blend box is larger with a spliter in the middle such that if DR wants 73 and the PAss wants 78 - the divider shuts so there are 2 blends - and then each side feeds their ducts. It's extra sensors to support this feature - and extra motors. I think there's even 2 different blowers there too such that it can vary the flow LH or RH accordingly. (say DR wants max cold, but pax wants 74)

It's been a while since I saw a schematic but it's a bit more complicated and as mentioned above there's some extra sensors in the air ducts and I think in the cabin for feedback and control.
if someone had the schematics for the XLT and Lariat I’d be interested. Wiring is no big deal for me, I do a lot of machine control wiring at work. If I could get what I have to work auto but not dual, it would be awesome. I think making the XLT seat heaters work with the Lariat switch can’t be that hard with some relays.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by bdresch

if someone had the schematics for the XLT and Lariat I’d be interested. Wiring is no big deal for me, I do a lot of machine control wiring at work. If I could get what I have to work auto but not dual, it would be awesome. I think making the XLT seat heaters work with the Lariat switch can’t be that hard with some relays.
https://www.motorcraftservice.com, sign up for 22 dollars for a 3 day pass, get all the wiring diagrams you want.

Quick Reply: Adding auto climate to XLT.