Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 12:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Default What do I do?

Hello everyone. I'm looking for an 04-08 model truck. I have a small budget. I'm about to graduate from high school and going to college in the fall. I have a part time job. I live on a ranch and would need the truck for ranch work which is why I wouldn't want a car. I'm interested in these models because 1: I don't want a truck with too many miles and problems and 2: I can't afford a newer model.

I recently found an 05 FX4 for $12k. It has about 95k miles. It's got leather interior and a sunroof. It also has a 4.5 inch lift and aftermarket rims and semi new toyo MTs. I will give more info this afternoon.

Should I go for it? Would I be able to get a loan for that much? Sorry if it's hard to understand. I'll be open minded and would answer any questions. Thank you!
Old 06-02-2014, 12:35 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

If KBB is below that price try NADA. Banks will loan against NADA and it tends to be several thousand higher than the other two options.

Sounds like a fair price, I paid $13,500 for my 2005 FX4 and it doesn't have leather, a lift, or a sunroof, but it only had 82K miles.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First think long and hard about what your going to be getting into. New toyo tires depending on size will be around 1,000$. I'm looking at new 35 12.5 18 and they are quoting me at almost 1.8. Also gas mileage with a lift will be 15 at best and if those are 10 ply toyo's it will be even lower. That sounds like an alright deal. Also a co signer to lower the interest on the loan, fresh out of high school you will get about 9% or higher which sucks. My first vehicle was 12%. Also insurance for a 18 or 19 year old will start out pretty high until you get your first break (3 years without an incident sometimes). Just look at everything that surrounds getting your own truck before you do.

Best of luck to you man. Congrats on graduating.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:27 PM

Thank you I'll be searching for the NADA price.

And to the tires yes I know that they cost a lot. I think thats the reason it's 12k. I am concerned about the mpgs and such. Most of them would be highway miles. Shouldn't hurt so much. It is also a private sale not a dealership. I think I can knock off a couple grand. I'm really interested in this truck. She's a beaut! And thank you!

Any other suggestions/comments/outbursts of anger? Thanks
Old 06-02-2014, 05:30 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

How come I didn't get a ****ing 6" lift, 35's, leather, and a sunroof and I paid more than you?! How ****ing dare you get a better deal than me!

</sarcasm>
Old 06-02-2014, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cutless009
How come I didn't get a ****ing 6" lift, 35's, leather, and a sunroof and I paid more than you?! How ****ing dare you get a better deal than me!

</sarcasm>
Lol I think I moved too slow for that truck. Didn't see it on my way home :/
Old 06-03-2014, 01:50 AM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ramb13
Thank you I'll be searching for the NADA price. And to the tires yes I know that they cost a lot. I think thats the reason it's 12k. I am concerned about the mpgs and such. Most of them would be highway miles. Shouldn't hurt so much. It is also a private sale not a dealership. I think I can knock off a couple grand. I'm really interested in this truck. She's a beaut! And thank you! Any other suggestions/comments/outbursts of anger? Thanks
If you're concerned about MPGs, I don't think you've got the right truck in mind.. Like mentioned about, with a lift & most likely 35s, most guys don't get well over 15 without the usual mods (tuner & such). There are about a billion explanations & stories to this on the forum that you can find. Also mentioned, insurance would be pretty high on the truck. So you're looking at pretty high rates, poor gas mileage, higher insurance, and things you already know need to be replaced.

HOWEVER: these are the best trucks ever, so, go for it
Old 06-03-2014, 08:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Last edited by barjrob1972; 10-14-2022 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Benhicks24
If you're concerned about MPGs, I don't think you've got the right truck in mind.. Like mentioned about, with a lift & most likely 35s, most guys don't get well over 15 without the usual mods (tuner & such). There are about a billion explanations & stories to this on the forum that you can find. Also mentioned, insurance would be pretty high on the truck. So you're looking at pretty high rates, poor gas mileage, higher insurance, and things you already know need to be replaced.

HOWEVER: these are the best trucks ever, so, go for it
I'm not so concerned about the mpgs but I won't be abusing it. I bet it'll get me 15 or more highway since that's about 75% of what I would drive. I do believe it has an SCT tuner because it has a badge on the front fender under the F150 badge. They are awesome trucks!
Old 06-03-2014, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by barjrob1972
High mileage vehicles come with their own problems so be prepared by having about another $1k available just-in-case. Just because the engine and tranny might be good doesn't mean everything else on the truck is. 95k miles can take it's toll on every part of the vehicle. If you're not a member of a Credit Union, I would strongly suggest you join one. They will give you your credit score and the loan value of the truck and tell you if the price is good plus usually you can get better rates. Also, spring for a Carfax report and that will give you some history of the truck. Since you're shopping, you can buy ten reports and look at several different vehicles.
Fuel mileage is going to hurt.
Not that what you're saying is dumb, but would it be wise to join a credit union? Would it hurt me in any way? I've heard many people say that credit cards or anything like that will kill you. But that's only of you abuse the money and buy things like crazy right? should I let my parents take the money out for me but I'll be paying it? Since the insurance rates will be high then it might be better if the truck ia under their name.

Thank you I'm new to all these things

Quick Reply: What do I do?