Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Lets Talk towing

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets Talk towing

I am sure there are 10,000 towing threads on here so whats one more, I don't want to search through them all. I have a 2008 F150 Lariet, it will have super chips tuner set to tow mode, SI/DO MBRP Exaust and the Gotts intake mod. Question is I have a need to tow a Dodge/Chysler minivan (1996) across Country from TN-Washing State. I am going to do my best to avoid the pass in Co. Estimated weight of Van 3K maybe 4K Loaded, truck will be loaded also with some household goods, tools, a few guns, probably my Son, of course myself and maybe a dog. So call it 1000lbs. Trailer weight probably 1000lb maybe heavier. This is not my first time towing anything but it will be first with this truck

Question arising from this. Is there anything I should add to the truck before making this trip? I should add I have a brake controller, and factory Tranny cooler. Should I consider deeper tranny, oil pans, and maybe rear diff cover? Should I add an after market oil cooler, in line type, to the oil or an additional to the tranny? Do you thing I will be ok as is?
Old 05-21-2014, 07:06 PM

If this works out ok I may have another rig to tow, even further, from coast to coast actually. A Chevy Tahoe from VA to WA
Old 05-21-2014, 07:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A brake controller will be nice to have but not necessary. If you dont already have a tranny cooler then that is a must. Make sure you have the proper ball and hitch set up. Also get the truck up to date on all the maintenance. Other than that you should be fine👍.
The following users liked this post:
Fred08 (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 08:00 PM

this is what I figured just remember my last towing trip with a gasser, it was older and a Chevy so that says it all, but towing a jeep on an aluminum trailer that truck had a hard time
Old 05-21-2014, 08:09 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by f150 triton
A brake controller will be nice to have but not necessary. If you dont already have a tranny cooler then that is a must. Make sure you have the proper ball and hitch set up. Also get the truck up to date on all the maintenance. Other than that you should be fine👍.
A brake controller is a total necessity with the weight he will have behind him. Some states he will go through it is likely mandated. I would get a better handle on the weight if the trailer and van to be certain. A WDH may be in order as well.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:15 PM
Canuck with a truck

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I'd strongly recommend getting a brake controller unless the trailer has surge brakes. The more brakes to slow you down going down a steep hill is a good thing. Trailer brakes have saved me from getting in a accident. I was coming down a steep hill on a 2 lane county highway and by the bottom i was hitting 70 mph pulling 4k lbs and the car in front of me decided to do a last minute turn on to a side road. So I slammed on the brakes and was able to stop before rear ending the car in front of me. I believe if i did'nt have trailer brakes i would have hit the car in front of me.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:51 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

1+ on brake controller. I have towed a 1974 F100 a couple of times and the trailer brakes make all the difference. It also says in the manual that the truck brakes are rated for the truck and not the full rating of the tow capacity.
Attached Thumbnails Lets Talk towing-image-3257563492.jpg  
Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Forgot to mention I have a factory trans cooler and the trans temp runs 10-20 hotter when towing. If you don't have one I would get one towing or not just to keep trans temp at a minimum to extend fluid life.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirttracker18

A brake controller is a total necessity with the weight he will have behind him. Some states he will go through it is likely mandated. I would get a better handle on the weight if the trailer and van to be certain. A WDH may be in order as well.
I have towed many cars on trailers with a ranger with the 4.0 and had no brake controller and did just fine. How do you think way less capable trucks of 10 years ago towed the same things we tow today.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:27 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I have to voice my support for the brake controller. I know a lot of people have got away without brakes on larger trailers, but that doesn't make it smart or safe. Using your own figures the trailer will be somewhere around 4500 lbs., behind a fairly heavily loaded truck. Two things can go wrong.1) Truck brakes get hot on a downgrade and fade out and you have a runaway. 2) Trailer pushes the truck into a jack knife during a hard stop. Please install a brake controller. That's a long trip with a lot of curves and grades along the way.

Quick Reply: Lets Talk towing