Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do engineers do these things?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 07:41 PM
Buckrub

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Why do engineers do these things?

So I changed the oil on my 5.0 for the first time myself. Thought the dealer I was going to was good but once they charged my wife29 bucks for labor on an air filter that they took out to check to sell me, Kinda made me upset so back to working on my stuff myself. Long story short as I was changing my filter i put my pan under the spout where the oil is supposed to come out. Haha the joke was on me. It came out from behind the little skid that protects the eps. Bothers the he$& out of me that they put it there for it not to work. I used to work in a big name shop and stuff like that happend all the time. Engineers bother me. You try to work on the stuff you design and see all the stupid things ya do. Luckily I put card board all over my driveway so I don't get big stains. Oh yeah one more thing. These sealed trans that have a dip stick on the side of it, well what are you guys doing for services. I'm not bringing it somewhere to have them say the dealer only can do it. There's gotta be a way
Old 09-24-2014, 08:21 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Best way is to park on a incline or ramps! Tons of threads on this same topic! Engineers just draw this **** up, they don't Build or Work on any of it!
The following users liked this post:
Floridaguy80 (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 08:23 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Rmiranda134
So I changed the oil on my 5.0 for the first time myself. Thought the dealer I was going to was good but once they charged my wife29 bucks for labor on an air filter that they took out to check to sell me, Kinda made me upset so back to working on my stuff myself. Long story short as I was changing my filter i put my pan under the spout where the oil is supposed to come out. Haha the joke was on me. It came out from behind the little skid that protects the eps. Bothers the he$& out of me that they put it there for it not to work. I used to work in a big name shop and stuff like that happend all the time. Engineers bother me. You try to work on the stuff you design and see all the stupid things ya do. Luckily I put card board all over my driveway so I don't get big stains. Oh yeah one more thing. These sealed trans that have a dip stick on the side of it, well what are you guys doing for services. I'm not bringing it somewhere to have them say the dealer only can do it. There's gotta be a way

Get a set of ramps from local parts store, Walmart, pep boys, etc... then the oil will only drain out the back.

Trans service is set to 150,000 miles (read your owners manual), I don't plan on having mine that long so it's a moot point.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:30 PM
Buckrub

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I know it says 150k but I got some bigger tires and I'm kinda **** about that stuff.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:36 PM

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

listening to stories from eco and 5.0 owners makes me feel lucky as a 6.2 owner with very easy and clean oil changes..not a drop hit the ground.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:41 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Rmiranda134
I know it says 150k but I got some bigger tires and I'm kinda **** about that stuff.
The technology advancements used in today's auto industry are why the mileage limits have risen between service intervals.

I am putting bigger tires on my truck as well but even so that would have nothing to do with it.

If you have the $$ just laying around and want to throw it at something I see no wrong reason to spend it on your truck but it's really not necessary.

The engineers build them to assemble quickly on a moving line, how they get worked on after the fact is not one of their parameters.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:54 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

The back wheels need to be about 6" higher than front for filter oil to drain down spout.

Trending Topics

Old 09-24-2014, 10:30 PM

Received 1,000 Likes on 667 Posts

These sealed trans that have a dip stick on the side of it, well what are you guys doing for services. I'm not bringing it somewhere to have them say the dealer only can do it. There's gotta be a way
Will this work on yours? It is for a 2010.
Attached Thumbnails Why do engineers do these things?-trans1.jpg   Why do engineers do these things?-trans2.jpg  
Old 09-25-2014, 01:15 AM

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by AK49FordTruck
listening to stories from eco and 5.0 owners makes me feel lucky as a 6.2 owner with very easy and clean oil changes..not a drop hit the ground.
I'm a 5.0 owner and do my own oil changes. Every drop in the oil pan, every time. No issues here.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:24 AM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

Why not go to another dealer? You fk your oil change up, your fault. dealer does it? gets fixed. not worth it, especially since you can get it changed for how much you paid for just your oil. these threads bitching about the oil drain plugs are so stupid

Quick Reply: Why do engineers do these things?