Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 EB Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 2013 EB Question

I've been on the sidelines for a while now, monitoring this forum, trying to determine the right time to pull the trigger on a new truck. My concerns have less to do with year over year model year changes, and more to do with various threads on reported EB problems, which is the engine I'm ultimately after. I've been trying to keep up with all of the posts (namely on the sticky thread) that discuss the 55-60 shudder issue, loss of power at times, alleged problems witht the IC, etc. I've seen posts where Ford has tried TSBs, and I believe has recently come out with some sort of IC retrofit kit. I also know that all EBs don't exhibit these problematic characteristics, which makes me wonder if these problems are related to certain climate conditions in certain parts of the country, or something totally different (like random bad batches of vehicles, etc).

I guess the point of this post is this. Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any really convincing information that suggests either the root cause of this problem (and maybe it's several similar related problems) has been idetified, nor have I seen a good proven fix (or fixes). Does anyone know if there is anything fundamentally different with the '13 EB engine design where informed buyers who have been following these posts have a sense of confidence that '13 is the right year to buy? Nothing I have seen suggests any sort of change, and if so, leaves me puzzled that so many people are ready to head out and take the plunge with a '13 EB. Much of what I read still seems experimental in terms of fixes, but it's easy to miss some of the good information on this site if you don't check it every day.

Thoughts, comments?
Old 07-20-2012, 02:19 AM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jweidert
I've been on the sidelines for a while now, monitoring this forum, trying to determine the right time to pull the trigger on a new truck. My concerns have less to do with year over year model year changes, and more to do with various threads on reported EB problems, which is the engine I'm ultimately after. I've been trying to keep up with all of the posts (namely on the sticky thread) that discuss the 55-60 shudder issue, loss of power at times, alleged problems witht the IC, etc. I've seen posts where Ford has tried TSBs, and I believe has recently come out with some sort of IC retrofit kit. I also know that all EBs don't exhibit these problematic characteristics, which makes me wonder if these problems are related to certain climate conditions in certain parts of the country, or something totally different (like random bad batches of vehicles, etc).

I guess the point of this post is this. Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any really convincing information that suggests either the root cause of this problem (and maybe it's several similar related problems) has been idetified, nor have I seen a good proven fix (or fixes). Does anyone know if there is anything fundamentally different with the '13 EB engine design where informed buyers who have been following these posts have a sense of confidence that '13 is the right year to buy? Nothing I have seen suggests any sort of change, and if so, leaves me puzzled that so many people are ready to head out and take the plunge with a '13 EB. Much of what I read still seems experimental in terms of fixes, but it's easy to miss some of the good information on this site if you don't check it every day.

Thoughts, comments?

Most folks (the clear majority) here are very happy with their EB equipped trucks.

I do not know a single person in my circle of friends, neighbors, co-workers, or the owners I chat with when in for oil service at my dealer, who have EB trucks and are unhappy with their choice.

All components, engines and other, are evaluated/upgraded throughout any model year, as necessary.

I am trading for a new '13 later in the year.

Just like my '09 has been problem free with the 6-spd A/T and/or and any other component; I am sure I will also have a problem free EB experience.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:43 AM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

All of the EB here is a fairly small representation of all of the Ecoboost trucks in the US. As already mentioned, most EB owners are probably very pleased with their trucks. I would venture to say that a fair amount of people don't know what they're talking about with their complaints or what they think their issues are with their trucks. Some are having legitimate issue but I don't think it is a fair representation of all Ecoboost F150's. I don't believe what you read here reflects the real world. If you believed everything you read here, Ford would be building the worse truck in America rather than the best.

"Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it."
Old 07-20-2012, 07:32 AM

Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts

The 2013 Ecoboosts I've drove seem better than my 2011.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:49 AM

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm interested in a '13 EcoBoost as well. The reading I did off this forum made me want one. Some of the reading I've done on this forum made me do more research. I still want one. The issues I read about sounded pretty bad, and I really hope they can get them straightened out. However, it seems like those issues are in the great minority, and every engine type from all manufacturers has had problems. So I'm still very interested in a '13 Limited, which is only available with the EcoBoost.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:21 AM

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurboFx4
The 2013 Ecoboosts I've drove seem better than my 2011.
Do you work for Ford? How did you drive a 2013?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by lazer

Do you work for Ford? How did you drive a 2013?
Ya. We can drive them around the plant.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:46 AM

Ya. We can drive them around the plant.
OK. I'm going to order a 2013 ecoboost. Can you give details on why the 13 is better then the 11?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by lazer

OK. I'm going to order a 2013 ecoboost. Can you give details on why the 13 is better then the 11?
What exactly do u want to know?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:55 AM

What exactly do u want to know?
I've never driven an ecoboost. I have the 5.4 in a 2010. Since you have the 11 ecoboost and have driven the 13 what makes the 13 better than the 11?

Quick Reply: 2013 EB Question