Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning the Two.7

Old 08-16-2016, 01:52 PM
F150 Forum

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts
Lightbulb Tuning the Two.7

We are continually working really hard on developing new tunes and/or tuning features. The 2.7L F150 and its tunes are no different. I just wanted to announce really quickly that for the F-150 2.7 EcoBoost we have added the capability to disable the engine's automatic start stop function in our custom tunes.

For those of you who are new to the F-150 2.7 world, we have made some pretty phenomenal tunes for your truck! For the 2.7 powertrain, tuning makes some tremendous torque gains, especially in the business end RPM range where torque is crucial for a pickup truck.

Here are a couple of dyno charts as well for you all to reference. Peak gains on 93 octane gasoline were 73whp and 48wtq. Maximum gains as you can see were quite substantial.

If you have one of our MyCal tuners already and would like an update, please shoot us your information over to tuning@livernoismotorsports.com We would love to update your tunes to the newest version so that you can benefit from this new feature.

If you've just picked up one of these diamond in the rough trucks, here is a link to the tuner on our website with additional information as well.

Get your MyCal tuner today

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631127

Feel free to give us a call if you would like to discuss our F150 tuning further, or to place an order. We are here for you if you have any questions. We're available at 313 561 5500, tuning@livernoismotorsports.com or info@livernoismotorsports.com
Old 08-16-2016, 03:40 PM

Received 557 Likes on 402 Posts

Guys, I’m getting REAL close to pulling the trigger on a LME tune for my 2.7. I have exchanged emails and called in the other day with some additional questions I had. One of the questions was whether it was mandatory to swap to the 160-degree t-stat.

I was informed that it wasn’t necessary and that the tune would be adjusted to accommodate for the stock t-stat. I realize the full potential gains will not be achieved w/ sticking w/ the stock t-stat but wondering if you have any idea what the impact to the gains would be? Are we talking a 10%, 20%, etc decrease?

If you could let me know, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2016, 04:21 PM
Mr. Pickles

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Where the gains achieved with stock air cleaner and exhaust? I really don't want to go that road if I don't have to. Also, these numbers are rwhp and rwtq?
I also see that this is for 93oct, anything for the fuel economy conscience.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did that say 346 hp at the rear wheels for a 2.7L?

the technology in these little engines is amazing if you ask me - but I want 200k miles out of mine and I want 30mpg.

Those of us that bought the 2.7 didn't do it for the drag strip - we did it for the fuel economy a little gem of an engine should allow - give me a tune that gets decent HP & torque but bumps fuel econ up & I'm all in.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:34 PM
F150 Forum

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by MNSportsman
Guys, I’m getting REAL close to pulling the trigger on a LME tune for my 2.7. I have exchanged emails and called in the other day with some additional questions I had. One of the questions was whether it was mandatory to swap to the 160-degree t-stat.

I was informed that it wasn’t necessary and that the tune would be adjusted to accommodate for the stock t-stat. I realize the full potential gains will not be achieved w/ sticking w/ the stock t-stat but wondering if you have any idea what the impact to the gains would be? Are we talking a 10%, 20%, etc decrease?

If you could let me know, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!
PULL THE TRIGGER YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!

No, nothing that we offer is required. There are certain parts that we do deem as heavily recommended, and the thermostat is one of them. We do have to detune our calibration fairly well for the stock tstat on a performance tune. This is merely because as I am sure you have noticed with any type of spirited driving the truck builds up heat QUICKLY! Honestly, for the additional few dollars you are going to get a FAR better tune and driving experience. The swap is easy even for a novice.

Originally Posted by sergbaja5t
Where the gains achieved with stock air cleaner and exhaust? I really don't want to go that road if I don't have to. Also, these numbers are rwhp and rwtq?
I also see that this is for 93oct, anything for the fuel economy conscience.
There are no other parts on this vehicle AT ALL! All of the numbers that you see us advertise are always wheel hp and/or torque numbers. We are not in the guessing industry. We realize that there are several companies that are okay with that, but we did not invest HEAVILY in 3 chassis dynos to guess lol.

Utilizing 93 octane fuel is actually going to automatically net you better economy. Higher octane fuel burns more slowly, thus making more power. This is also true for economy. Obviously, the largest mitigating factor is your right foot!

Originally Posted by Brass Monkey

the technology in these little engines is amazing if you ask me - but I want 200k miles out of mine and I want 30mpg.

Those of us that bought the 2.7 didn't do it for the drag strip - we did it for the fuel economy a little gem of an engine should allow - give me a tune that gets decent HP & torque but bumps fuel econ up & I'm all in.
There is no reason why you cannot have your 200k and 30MPG! We have had several test vehicles crush the 100k mark in the few years that I have been here. As I am sure that you can imagine it is not like we are the most delicate people on our test vehicles. Don't believe me, goto YouTube.com and search "day 2 science"...that will prove it!
Old 08-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Wink

You bought the wrong truck.

Regardless of the tune if want (extra) power you have to step on the gas. If you want max mpg's just drive it like Grandpa. I didn't know anyone bought a truck for gas mileage.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:53 PM

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

30mpg? I'm not one of these guys that will tell you to go buy a Prius, but 30mpg is unrealistic on a stock tune let alone a performance tune. You should look into de-tuning your 2.7 if that's the case.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by KYBuckeye
30mpg? I'm not one of these guys that will tell you to go buy a Prius, but 30mpg is unrealistic on a stock tune let alone a performance tune. You should look into de-tuning your 2.7 if that's the case.
Check out my thread on 2.7mpg. 30mpg is doable - ppl are doing it.

I bought the truck because I need a truck. I bought the 2.7 because I wanted good power & good mpg.

I pulled 25 mpg going 75 on a 700 mile trip this weekend. Got 29 mpg when I slowed to 65. Granted I live in Illinois where there are no hills. But I did it.

I don't buy into the macho bull ****. If I wanted a race car I'd have bought a mustang. Real people spend real money to get the best of both.

I have power when I need it & good economy when I want it
Old 08-16-2016, 07:11 PM

Last edited by Brass Monkey; 08-16-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:27 PM
F250>F150

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

So tempting. I bought 5* last June when I first got my 2.7 and I'm not a huge fan. I didn't do anything on a dyno but I'd like to consider myself an experienced driver and some people can just feel these things. At first it felt like I was getting more out of it. In reality, I was just utilizing the vehicle in a more spirited fashion and I wasn't before. When I went back to stock tune and used Sport Mode, I didn't feel much difference. So, a 93 performance tune vs. stock on 87 in Sport and I couldn't tell a difference. The shifts felt pretty good in the performance tune. That was negated by the 2-1 clunk of a downshift in 87eco and 87perf/tow.

Long story short, I haven't had the tune loaded for a while now. Could I have contacted them and gone through the hassle of them modifying it and send data logs? Sure. I didn't. I was dumb thinking if someone advertises something it should perform as advertised. I reached out to SCT to update the software on my tuner and found out I couldn't do it without a Windows based computer. I don't own one. Does Livernois updates function with a Mac?

I'm interested and I don't want to give up hope. I've been eyeing the new Raptor but that's just lust. I'll realistically end up staying with this truck for the next 5 or so years.

Don't mean to thread jack or bash a competitor, just my opinion on the ordeal. I've spent $450 in better ways though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tuning the Two.7