Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mud flaps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 10:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mud flaps?

I'm not real crazy about putting mud flaps on my 2018 F-150 but I sometimes have to drive down messy roads for some work I do. Some are messy enough that I need to use 4WD. I spent well over an hour cleaning my undercarriage tonight and I'll bet there was 150 pounds or more of mud up in there. I use my lawn sprinkler when this happens and just let it run under there for a while. One of the ones that sweeps back and forth. I'd like to avoid as much as I can in the future. Third time I've had tons of mud on my truck and I haven't even had it two months. HA! The WeatherTech look nice. I just want to keep the bulk of it out from under the truck. The wheel wells are hard enough to wash out.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:03 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I have the weather tech's. I love them. They weren't very difficult to put on, and makes a big difference in keeping my truck clean.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:11 AM

Received 605 Likes on 400 Posts

Mud flaps keep mud off the sides of your truck, not the undercarriage.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 02:33 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Does front mud flaps help keep the inside of the doors just below the hinges any cleaner? This is my big gripe.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:54 AM

Received 497 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by KC10Chief
I'm not real crazy about putting mud flaps on my 2018 F-150 but I sometimes have to drive down messy roads for some work I do. Some are messy enough that I need to use 4WD. I spent well over an hour cleaning my undercarriage tonight and I'll bet there was 150 pounds or more of mud up in there. I use my lawn sprinkler when this happens and just let it run under there for a while. One of the ones that sweeps back and forth. I'd like to avoid as much as I can in the future. Third time I've had tons of mud on my truck and I haven't even had it two months. HA! The WeatherTech look nice. I just want to keep the bulk of it out from under the truck. The wheel wells are hard enough to wash out.
Originally Posted by RN2013
Does front mud flaps help keep the inside of the doors just below the hinges any cleaner? This is my big gripe.
The lawn sprinkler idea is a great one! Especially here in the land of salt. They are getting crazy again. Just wait for a day where there is a bit of a thaw and irrigate the undercarriage!
Mud flaps help but don't stop spray and dirt on the sides front and rear. The biggest thing is stopping stones and debris being kicked up. For the rear, wheel well liners are the best mod to do.
BTW I installed Husky mud flaps and well liners to good effect.
Tecnoguy2 (04-23-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 10:48 AM

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked ace
The lawn sprinkler idea is a great one! Especially here in the land of salt. They are getting crazy again. Just wait for a day where there is a bit of a thaw and irrigate the undercarriage!
Mud flaps help but don't stop spray and dirt on the sides front and rear. The biggest thing is stopping stones and debris being kicked up. For the rear, wheel well liners are the best mod to do.
BTW I installed Husky mud flaps and well liners to good effect.
the front mud flaps will also help in stopping mud from collecting on your running boards so that when you exit the vehicle, you’re not stepping in mud, slipping off the running board or getting that crap all over your pant legs. Put a set on my work truck and it has made a world of difference in that regard.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:00 PM

Received 3,523 Likes on 1,689 Posts

I unknowingly drove through some wet concrete (construction zone) one night with my new F150. I didn't notice it when I parked the truck for the night.

The next morning, I saw the dried concrete residue all in the wheel wells and underneath the truck and on the tires. My mud flaps (Weathertech) kept the mess from getting on my paint. They work.
The following 2 users liked this post by SPOAT:
68injunhed (02-12-2019), Fx4gary (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2019, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies! The lawn sprinkler works real well but you have to move it around a lot. Not a big deal. I find that dirt packs on under the running boards and in the door seal like somebody else mentioned. The lawn sprinkler does a good job of removing all of this too but if I can avoid packing most of it on in the first place, that would be great. I have WeatherTech floor mats. I'll check out their mud flaps too. I'd definitely like something that's bolt on and no drilling.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 PM
G20

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just put the Weather Tech No-Drill flaps on my truck. The roads are awful where I live right now. Sand, snow, slush everywhere.

I notice the flaps keep all that junk from building up where the door meets the fender. They seem to do a great job so far.

The sprinkler is a great idea. Coincidentally I just saw one of these at Home Depot last week. I'm thinking of picking one up. It would be like a sprinkler on steroids.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-11...1211/300701617
Kevin O'Neill (10-13-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 06:41 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

WeatherTech on my 16 FX4 and love em

Quick Reply: Mud flaps?