Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IWE issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default IWE issues

I started a different thread about how much trouble I’ve had with my IWE. My IWE grinds usually when I leave the drive way and does it for a little bit. It has done it at interstate speeds but mostly just at take off. Now I have a question. A poster in the thread mentioned that his friends wheel feel off, so this got me thinking. What is this damaging when it’s grinding? What kind of repairs can I expect in the future? Thank you all.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:01 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

His wheel fell off because of a grinding IWE? Makes sense it was a "friends", and not his. What thread was this in?
Anyway, you can expect to replace the IWE since it's been grinding for what seems like a while. What I'd do, is find out why it's grinding, fix that, and then replace the IWE. The first thing I'd do is replace the checkvalve, buy a cheap little vacuum pump from Harbor Freight, and make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks in the hoses or IWE seals.
Then get back on here and let us know what you find.
I mention the checkvalve because it's the easiest and cheapest part to replace, and fixed more than one guys problem, myself included.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:05 PM
Village Sociopath

This guy has a couple videos you might want to watch regarding the IWE system.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FordTechMakuloco/videos
Old 02-17-2019, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by johnday
His wheel fell off because of a grinding IWE? Makes sense it was a "friends", and not his. What thread was this in?
Anyway, you can expect to replace the IWE since it's been grinding for what seems like a while. What I'd do, is find out why it's grinding, fix that, and then replace the IWE. The first thing I'd do is replace the checkvalve, buy a cheap little vacuum pump from Harbor Freight, and make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks in the hoses or IWE seals.
Then get back on here and let us know what you find.
I mention the checkvalve because it's the easiest and cheapest part to replace, and fixed more than one guys problem, myself included.
i started a thread titled “at what point do you say enough and trade in”. The truck is still under warranty and the dealer is suppose to replace the check valve on Wednesday. It’s been grinding for a little while.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:31 PM
Village Sociopath

Originally Posted by 05lariat4x4

i started a thread titled “at what point do you say enough and trade in”. The truck is still under warranty and the dealer is suppose to replace the check valve on Wednesday. It’s been grinding for a little while.
I think I'll go read that, thanks.
Since you're taking it in, hopefully it's a dealer that is aware of a TSB regarding this system. Is it on an '05, or a later model truck?
If it's a later model, '15+, I'll see if I still have a copy of that TSB.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:36 PM
Village Sociopath

If it's a later model, if you pull the connector on the solenoid, the IWE's would stay locked in. Won't hurt anything as long as you don't shift into 4X4 on high traction surface. If you have 4A, just throw it in. What happens in either case, vacuum is vented off, and the IWE's close in, preventing anymore grinding and damage.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by johnday
If it's a later model, if you pull the connector on the solenoid, the IWE's would stay locked in. Won't hurt anything as long as you don't shift into 4X4 on high traction surface. If you have 4A, just throw it in. What happens in either case, vacuum is vented off, and the IWE's close in, preventing anymore grinding and damage.
it’s a ‘17 xlt so no auto. If I pull this connector will I be able to use 4wd? Or have to plug back in? Is it electrical or vacuum connector? If I pull this connector it’s safe to drive on the interstate? Thank you
Old 02-17-2019, 08:30 PM

Do you happen to have a picture of what I’m suppose to disconnect so I don’t disconnect the wrong thing? Thank you.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:37 PM
Village Sociopath

Sure, here's a photo. See that hose crossing over the brake reservoir? Follow it down, and it connects right there at the solenoid. Just disconnect the electrical connector right there.
No, you won't hurt a thing as long as you don't put it in 4X4 on high traction surfaces. Just drive as you usually do.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:01 PM

Received 1,040 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by 05lariat4x4

it’s a ‘17 xlt so no auto. If I pull this connector will I be able to use 4wd? Or have to plug back in? Is it electrical or vacuum connector? If I pull this connector it’s safe to drive on the interstate? Thank you
Yes, you will be able to use 4WD like before. All rules still apply. The only thing that won't happen is the venting of the vacuum since it is already vented when you switch to 4WD. Switching back to 2WD, it won't be able to disconnect the IWEs because there is no power to the solenoid. It will then disconnect the TC to complete the shift to 2WD.
The following users liked this post:
johnday in BFE (02-17-2019)

Quick Reply: IWE issues