Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Heated Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 03:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Adding Heated Mirrors

I have a 2017 Ford F150 XLT i checked the passenger door and it looks like its an 8 pin connector that only has 6 wires leading to it Drivers side door has 8 pin with 8 wires. My Question is will heated mirrors work on my truck. no rear defrost either

Last edited by ericmelo84; 11-14-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:17 PM

Received 578 Likes on 391 Posts

The heated mirrors turn on with the rear window defrost. I used a set similar (to the link) in my FJ Cruiser to get heated mirrors. You pop the mirrors out then take them apart place this on the back of the glass and reassemble the mirror. If you are unsure of doing this, drop by a glass shop they should be able to install them for ya.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Q...5kRr:rk:2:pf:0

Last edited by Mlarv; 11-14-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mlarv
The heated mirrors turn with the rear window defrost. I used a set similar in my FJ Cruiser to get heated mirrors. You pop the mirrors out then take them apart place this on the back of the glass and reassemble the mirror. If you are unsure of doing this, drop by a glass shop they should be able to install them for ya.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Q...5kRr:rk:2:pf:0
Could I not just replace the OEM door switch to have the defrost button and not have to dismantle the mirrors
Old 11-14-2018, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by ericmelo84
Could I not just replace the OEM door switch to have the defrost button and not have to dismantle the mirrors
The defrost switch is in the center stack under the front window defrost switch I think. I am out of town right now so I am not posative about the exact location, but I know it is in the center stack.

The mirror would have to have the heat pad already installed on them, which I really doubt they do, so you would have to take them apart to install the mat or buy heated mirrors along with the new center switch unit to get them to work. I used this solution because the cost was cheap and it worked like a charm.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:33 PM

The defrost switch is in the center stack under the front window defrost switch I think. I am out of town right now so I am not posative about the exact location, but I know it is in the center stack.

The mirror would have to have the heat pad already installed on them, which I really doubt they do, so you would have to take them apart to install the mat or buy heated mirrors along with the new center switch unit to get them to work. I used this solution because the cost was cheap and it worked like a charm.
Maybe it's how I'm writing my posts. I want to replace my non heated mirrors with heated ones. So I'm guessing if I added heated mirrors and the OEM door switch part number sw-7441 the heated mirrors should work. But like I said I don't have rear defrost that's why I'm asking would my idea work. I don't really want to Frankenstein a 2017
Old 11-14-2018, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,142 Likes on 2,841 Posts

Maybe it's how I'm writing my posts. I want to replace my non heated mirrors with heated ones. So I'm guessing if I added heated mirrors and the OEM door switch part number sw-7441 the heated mirrors should work. But like I said I don't have rear defrost that's why I'm asking would my idea work. I don't really want to Frankenstein a 2017
no it probably wont, the mirrors are controlled by the rear defrost. no rear defrost=no heated mirrors. that switch won't work,
Old 11-14-2018, 04:42 PM

Ok the switch to turn on the factory heat on my truck is with the rear defrost, I just looked at the Ford site and I see there is a door switch option also. So I stand corrected. I am not sure if all the wiring is there. I was just giving you a cheaper option by buying the heating mats, and installing them yourself. It is not Frankenstein the truck, you can hide the wires and place the switch in a convenient place.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:45 PM

Ok the switch to turn on the factory heat on my truck is with the rear defrost, I just looked at the Ford site and I see there is a door switch option also. So I stand corrected. I am not sure if all the wiring is there. I was just giving you a cheaper option by buying the heating mats, and installing them yourself.
That's why I said my driver door has 8 pin connector with 8 wires passenger door has 8pin connector with 6 wires. I understand the cheaper option just I dunno if I trust myself enough to rip the mirror apart. I don't even know where to start
Old 11-14-2018, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,142 Likes on 2,841 Posts

That's why I said my driver door has 8 pin connector with 8 wires passenger door has 8pin connector with 6 wires. I understand the cheaper option just I dunno if I trust myself enough to rip the mirror apart. I don't even know where to start
if you have the wires there it might work, how many pins are on the mirror side?
Old 11-14-2018, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
if you have the wires there it might work, how many pins are on the mirror side?
Hard to tell from the sellers pictures but part numbers are
RH Mirror FL3Z-17682-CB looks like 6pin
LH Mirror FL3z-17683-CB looks like 8pin

Quick Reply: Adding Heated Mirrors