Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Front Camera to XLT

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 05:18 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Adding Front Camera to XLT

I've been wanting to add a front camera to my '16 XLT that will display on the stock Sync 3 screen. The complexity of the system and CAN bus communication means it won't be easy to do in any way (as far as I know), but here is my best idea:

1) Install aftermarket camera in front grille and route video wires out of the engine compartment.
2) Find the video wires coming from the stock backup cam and cut into them.
3) Find a wire that is powered only when truck is in reverse and tap into it for a reverse powered wire.
4) Run all these wires (front video, rear video, reverse powered) into a relay, with the relay connecting back into the cut backup cam video wires that lead back to what looks like the APIM (i.e. back to Sync 3). The relay will be set up to switch between the front and rear video signals when it detects a current (from the reverse powered wire).
5) Turn on the Reverse Delay setting for the backup cam, which keeps the camera on for a brief time after shifting out of reverse.

If I'm thinking this through correctly, after I shift out of reverse the relay will switch the signal from the backup cam to the front cam. Also, with Reverse Delay on, the Sync 3 screen will still display the camera image, which will now be the front camera. It's not a perfect system, as it means when I want to see the front camera view I have to stop, shift briefly into reverse, and then back into drive. But this is the best I can think of without the 360 cam or getting an aftermarket headunit/screen.

Anyone see any issues with this or better ways of doing it? I'd ideally like to have a button to press that will show front camera at any time, but can't figure out how to do that.

Anyone interested in pics if I do this project?
Old 08-25-2016, 06:16 PM
Worst hairday ever...

Received 253 Likes on 165 Posts

What you described would work fine. I considered a similar setup but with a toggle switch instead of the relay.

The only "reverse" signal I'm aware of is the reverse light wire coming from the BCM located behind the passenger kick panel.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:38 PM

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

I would be interested in seeing your installation with pics. Been wanting to see what it would take as well.

Originally Posted by CJW91
I've been wanting to add a front camera to my '16 XLT that will display on the stock Sync 3 screen. The complexity of the system and CAN bus communication means it won't be easy to do in any way (as far as I know), but here is my best idea:

1) Install aftermarket camera in front grille and route video wires out of the engine compartment.
2) Find the video wires coming from the stock backup cam and cut into them.
3) Find a wire that is powered only when truck is in reverse and tap into it for a reverse powered wire.
4) Run all these wires (front video, rear video, reverse powered) into a relay, with the relay connecting back into the cut backup cam video wires that lead back to what looks like the APIM (i.e. back to Sync 3). The relay will be set up to switch between the front and rear video signals when it detects a current (from the reverse powered wire).
5) Turn on the Reverse Delay setting for the backup cam, which keeps the camera on for a brief time after shifting out of reverse.

If I'm thinking this through correctly, after I shift out of reverse the relay will switch the signal from the backup cam to the front cam. Also, with Reverse Delay on, the Sync 3 screen will still display the camera image, which will now be the front camera. It's not a perfect system, as it means when I want to see the front camera view I have to stop, shift briefly into reverse, and then back into drive. But this is the best I can think of without the 360 cam or getting an aftermarket headunit/screen.

Anyone see any issues with this or better ways of doing it? I'd ideally like to have a button to press that will show front camera at any time, but can't figure out how to do that.

Anyone interested in pics if I do this project?
Old 08-26-2016, 12:09 AM

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,272 Posts

IIRC there is a separate module, camera mount and camera that need to be bought and added. Im sure after install you should be able to use FORscan to get it working. Your way is perhaps cheaper, but after I finish a few other upgrades, this is what I will be doing. I recently bought the grille that I wanted, making sure that it had the OEM camera hole...a limited grille. All of the other parts can be bought from Tasca.com. I am sill researching to camera aspect as I was buying the grille any way. Thought if I can add the front camera OEM, that I would figure it out. Interested to see what you come up with.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:23 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm also pretty much interested in adding the front camera on my 2016 Lariat.

I've ask my dealer about adding the full camera system but he says that it cannot be done by the dealership. That it is a "factory only" options. I also guess that changing the mirrors would cost way to much.

I'd be ready to settle for the front camera only.

I'm very much interested in the two described approach here. Keep posting and documenting your trials and errors...

Maybe we could add and use the OEM 360 camera button to use for the toggle and power of the front camera / back camera...

I have the 502A package, I don't know if all the wiring for the wiring is already there for the OEM camera.

Any way... Keep posting! :-)
Old 08-26-2016, 06:40 AM

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,272 Posts

You should have the majority of the main wiring already. There are 2 dashboard main harnesses...one made for the XL and XLT, and the other for the Lariat and above. If anything I'm betting you may only need a sub harness to connect the front camera...as far as the 360 switch being used as a toggle, maybe, maybe not. That switch is "seen" by the BCM. I doubt it can be rigged easily, if at all, to work as a toggle. Your best bet would be to shoot for OEM operation....this truck uses quite a few sub harnesses which are easy switched out, like the door harnesses used to add power folding mirrors etc. It's a work in progress, lol, I assure you. We will see if the front camera can be added OEM
Old 08-26-2016, 06:43 AM

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

I see Amazon is selling a front camera kit for 2015 and up F 150 specific. Says it can be added to aftermarket monitor or the the factory navigation with lockpick.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:44 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't think "Lockpick" works with Sync 3...

So may be possible for the 2015 models, but not the 2016 that have Sync3.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:14 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah my other option was to wait to see if they come up with an updated Lockpick version that works with Sync 3. It also would be great to have the full 360 system (and a part of me wishes I had gone with the Lariat and tech package) but I think this will be good enough for the few times a week I would use a front camera.

I ordered all the parts today and will get working on the install this weekend, hoping to finish it next weekend.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:22 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I wonder why are you trying to install a front camera that activates only when you put the car in reverse. I would think that makes it pretty useless. If anything try to tap the power from the side LED (they only work under 5 MPH) or have it's own switch to use whenever you really need it.
The following users liked this post:
hitch87 (11-18-2021)

Quick Reply: Adding Front Camera to XLT