Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

4.9 timing plate increments

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 04:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 4.9 timing plate increments

My truck started running terrible yesterday. I recently replaced the thermostat, coolant temp sensor and flushed the radiator. I'm trying to knock things off my list of what it could be. Anyways, I figured I'd check the timing, as maybe some of the water and coolant got on something that effects the timing. I found the correct mark on the crankshaft pulley, the smaller line and not the big notch, as I've read in other posts. And I used the plate on the passenger side. I removed the spout and checked it. I can see the mark, but I'm not sure what the increments are on that plate to tell what it is set to. There is one larger notch in the plate, is that TDC or the stock 10 degrees? To the right of that larger mark on the plate there are about 5 or 6 smaller notches. And to the left of it there are a lot of smaller notches. My timing is about 8 notches to the left, but I don't know what degree mark it is. I dont see a label. Can anybody help me out with this one?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Grabber Green Consultant

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well im trying to picture it in my mind, hell i just checked my timing a few weeks ago. i believe you want to set it at 12 TDC. but if my mmory serves me right you want it in the middle of the V on the timing marks. id have to go out and look at mine now haha
Old 10-04-2009, 04:18 PM

when you say middle of the v, all the little increments are small v cuts, and there is one thats about twice as large. Do you mean it should be in that large spot? Mine is way off from that
Old 10-04-2009, 04:22 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Clean the timing scale, the degrees are there. I don't remember offhand which V is which.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Grabber Green Consultant

your timing mark on the balancer should be i the middle of the large V in this picture. i have mine bumped up to 12 TDC for a bit more power...the middle of the V is 10 TDC which is the stock setting

hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
hotrodjoe (10-21-2013)
Old 10-04-2009, 05:17 PM

Great thanks for the picture, that helped a lot! That's the best way to explain some things. haha So 12 degrees would be just to the left (as in the left according to that picture) of that mark by about one or two notches? I've heard 12 to 14 makes for a good setting so I'd like to have mine about there. Again thanks a lot
Old 10-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Grabber Green Consultant

Originally Posted by BigGreyBox
Great thanks for the picture, that helped a lot! That's the best way to explain some things. haha So 12 degrees would be just to the left (as in the left according to that picture) of that mark by about one or two notches? I've heard 12 to 14 makes for a good setting so I'd like to have mine about there. Again thanks a lot
hey no problem. yah the farther left you go the higher it is (I.E. 12, 14 and so on)

12 is the MAX you want on a stock 4.9L anything after that it will start pinging and not running right at all. i would honestly set it at 10 or 12. 10 is right in between the big V and 12 is the very end of the big V on the left. i have mine set at 12 and i am perfectly happy with it
Old 10-04-2009, 05:32 PM

haha yea mine is like 8 notches to the left, which would put it at like... 20? Somehow mine runs ok though beside the fact that I have veryyy little power in 5th gear, I don't know if that would be why. But maybe my version of "running fine" is pretty far off from yours, I just relate running good to the best this truck has run, and I haven't played with the timing since I've owned it.

Oh also, I fixed the rough idle/running problem. Turns out the new temperature sensor I put in was bad, I never would have thought that 16 dollar part would make the truck run that terrible.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Grabber Green Consultant

haha yeah 12 degrees is WAY better then 20 lol. yeah ive had that problem too, bought a new intake air temp sensor twice before getting a good one from Napa.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

Middle of the Big V is 0 or TDC....

Quick Reply: 4.9 timing plate increments