Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Tint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 09:24 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Windshield Tint?

I have a 2017 F-150. I'm debating whether to tint the entire windshield a light tint (45% or greater) or just do a windshield tint Strip. I got 30% on my front windows and 20% over my back 20% privacy glass so far. I'm trying to stay close to legal. Seems to me a fully tinted windshield is a dead giveaway to get pulled over plus makes the rest of the windows seem darker. I'm just trying to add a finishing touch to the rest of the tint job with something on the windshield. Does the tint strip help cut down on heat and light other than sun? How low do you all mount the tint strip? I'm thinking to the bottom of the F-150 emblem/top of mirror mount but will put it several inches below the AS1 line on the side due to the curvature of the windshield. I could also do a 70% on the windshield plus a tint strip over it. But yet I hear about insurance issues and all kinds of stuff if you tint the entire windshield. Plus, risk spending all that money on windshield tint and get a cracked windshield. Then I hear the tint strips also attract the attention of law enforcement. Just don't want to have to tear stuff off later.
Thanks-
Old 11-16-2017, 09:28 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

The strip at the top is not only stupid, but annoying. The contrast to your eyes is.. well just avoid it lol

I had 70% on my Fusion with 5% rear & 20% front sides & 50% on my Explorer with 5% over rears (1.5% end result tint over tint) with 20% on front sides... Both vehicles had black leather interior, no moon roofs.

Needless to say I loved the 70% but wanted a shade darker.. put 50% on the Explorer. I personally think the perfect balance is 60% for the windshield.

I'm debating on what to do with the F150 but I'm pretty sure I'm going to lean to 70% for one reason only - it rains a lot here in Oregon. Hard to see the roadways.

If I was back in Cali (where I had fusion/explorer) or Texas or Colorado - anywhere much more dry - I'd do 50% as long as I had the panoramic roof. If no moon roof I'd do 70% regardless of location.

Hope that helps!!
Old 11-16-2017, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by adammjarvis
The strip at the top is not only stupid, but annoying. The contrast to your eyes is.. well just avoid it lol

I had 70% on my Fusion with 5% rear & 20% front sides & 50% on my Explorer with 5% over rears (1.5% end result tint over tint) with 20% on front sides... Both vehicles had black leather interior, no moon roofs.

Needless to say I loved the 70% but wanted a shade darker.. put 50% on the Explorer. I personally think the perfect balance is 60% for the windshield.

I'm debating on what to do with the F150 but I'm pretty sure I'm going to lean to 70% for one reason only - it rains a lot here in Oregon. Hard to see the roadways.

If I was back in Cali (where I had fusion/explorer) or Texas or Colorado - anywhere much more dry - I'd do 50% as long as I had the panoramic roof. If no moon roof I'd do 70% regardless of location.

Hope that helps!!
I don't have the panoramic roof, but I did go lighter on the side windows than you. I got 30% on the front and 20% over the back which gets it to 5%. And yeah I'm on the fence about the strip. If I do it, I'm not doing it super low. I saw it on a new F150 down to the bottom of the F150 emblem and it looked decent and not overly low. And finished the tint job. Trouble is 50% is the lightest you can get in normal tint without going to expensive ceramic.

Thanks-
Old 11-17-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

you need to check your laws before you do anything. side and rear windows are allowed up to 35% (so your 20% is already illegal) and only the top 5 inches of a front window are allowed to be tinted.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:02 PM

Well I went with the strip. The shop I went with cuts by hand, so it's a curved brow. I was told it's really hard to cut it straight by hand which involves cutting a curve in the tint so it lays flat. I did my brow down to the bottom of the Ford symbol and blacked out area and ends up being 3-4" below the AS1 lines on the edges. But dosent look real low on the windshield. I wouldn't want any lower with my sight line. If a shop has a computerized cutter, you could get a curved strip that lays flat to the AS1 line. If I was to do the flat style (curved) stopped at the As1 line, there wouldn't be much of a strip at all...probably 2 or three random pieces of tint.

Just my .02.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:06 PM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

Hell I did 20 on my f250. It was DARK. Like borderline too dark. 35% is the perfect amount.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:11 AM
I like to eat.

Received 470 Likes on 325 Posts

My front windshield has Suntek CXP 55% tint. If this glass ever needs replaced, I’d go darker, probably 35%.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by AricsFX
Hell I did 20 on my f250. It was DARK. Like borderline too dark. 35% is the perfect amount.
On the Windshield?? I saw 20% on a windshield and it was like ridiculous. I got 30% on my front sides and I don't think id want any darker for nighttime driving. Perfect for me. Rears are 20% which with Privacy Glass brings them down to like 5%. Just enough to see out the back at night some but no more headlights entering the cab from the rear. On the windshield, the 5% strip is nice but takes a bit of getting used to. The sides technically droop below the AS1 lines but is high enough on the windshield, it looks very legal. I may go no tint on the rest of the windshield due to it being illegal and the liability. I may put something like 70% on the windshield for heat and the sun, but your taking a risk with tinting that dark. Personally, I would go 45-50% if I could, but not any more. The guy at the tint shop showed me a truck with 50% on the windshield. No trouble looking out, in fact, made the view out clearer. However, on the outside even though the tint guy said it dosent look like it's tinted, it looked very obvious to me the windshield was tinted. You can tell looking at the front pillars and the suicide handles in the front plus not being able to see the driver. Should be very obvious to a trained police officer. So, ill go 70% if I do it. I'm wondering now I did the top strip if they can just bring the edge of the 70% tint up to the edge of the top strip without redoing everything.

Last edited by asdaven; 11-23-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:10 AM

Has anybody done 50% on the windshield and like 20%-35% on the doors on their F-150 and do you have any pics? I don't want to spring for the higher price lighter ceramic tints on the windshield, but 50% is the lightest you can go in the premium dyed tints. Anybody had any problems running a 50% Windshield? Around here, people run whatever they want on the sides and don't really have a problem. But some people have been busted for windshields, but they were running like 35%. I don't know if 50% would cause an issue.

Either going to keep the curved windshield 5% brow I have now or I'm gonna remove it, apply 50% on the entire windshield then apply a new 5% brow over the 50% that's contoured (straight) and won't droop down on the sides. The only way to run a legal brow on our trucks is that way, otherwise if you go curved and want to goto the bottom of the middle factory visor, it's gonna be like 3-3.5" below the AS1 line on the sides but at the AS1 line in the center.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:20 AM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by asdaven

On the Windshield?? I saw 20% on a windshield and it was like ridiculous. I got 30% on my front sides and I don't think id want any darker for nighttime driving. Perfect for me. Rears are 20% which with Privacy Glass brings them down to like 5%. Just enough to see out the back at night some but no more headlights entering the cab from the rear. On the windshield, the 5% strip is nice but takes a bit of getting used to. The sides technically droop below the AS1 lines but is high enough on the windshield, it looks very legal. I may go no tint on the rest of the windshield due to it being illegal and the liability. I may put something like 70% on the windshield for heat and the sun, but your taking a risk with tinting that dark. Personally, I would go 45-50% if I could, but not any more. The guy at the tint shop showed me a truck with 50% on the windshield. No trouble looking out, in fact, made the view out clearer. However, on the outside even though the tint guy said it dosent look like it's tinted, it looked very obvious to me the windshield was tinted. You can tell looking at the front pillars and the suicide handles in the front plus not being able to see the driver. Should be very obvious to a trained police officer. So, ill go 70% if I do it. I'm wondering now I did the top strip if they can just bring the edge of the 70% tint up to the edge of the top strip without redoing everything.

Yes, on the windshield. 5 on the front windows and 5 over the privacy 20 on the back.
Attached Thumbnails Windshield Tint?-db7b1623-1ed6-414e-8107-cd00d7eac658.jpeg