Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Serious Pull to the Right...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Cockpit Magician

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Serious Pull to the Right...

Howdy folks. I recently developed a pull the right and an annoying squeak when I'm braking in my 2002 screw with 112k miles. The truck doesn't initially pull when I apply the brakes but near the end of the braking it pulls fairly hard to the right and squeaks like crazy. I took in down to good ole Firestone for a "free brake check" and they said that I need to replace both of my upper ball joints, my idler arm, and my tie rod end. My suspension components were loose when he was yanking on them but does this sound legit? I thought it would have been my front caliper but who knows. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:26 PM
A7X

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes, but I'd check it all out myself... Thing is, most shops are gonna check it out with the intention of doing the work. If it were just the caliper they would replace all those components and send you on your way to leave with the same condition and a sticky caliper which might happen anyway all while they're still being honest... Jack it up safely and check the entire front end over and see what YOU think... Some places are out to rip you off, and most are honest, but I trust no one haha
Old 11-07-2011, 10:28 PM
A7X

Btw sounds like a tie rod issue to me, but I ain't there to check it out so git under there! Haha
Old 11-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Cockpit Magician

Thanks for the advice. I am gonna jack up the front end tomorrow and inspect a little more. I did have it up today and the right tire had a decent amount of play in it when I am pushing and pulling at the 9 and 3 position. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:57 PM
A7X

I've found it's best to leave it on the ground to check the tie rods and start the truck n have someone cycle the steering and watch for the tie rods to "pop" other than that jack it up and put a pry bar under the tire and pull up n down for the lower ball joint play, put a pry bar on top of the UCA and under the shock bucket (4x4) or coil (2wd) and bump it down... Wiggle pass tire with hands at 12 and 6 for wheel bearing play and 9 and 3 for idler arm... Then remove idler arm and check the uni ball for play it should only spin, not swivel like the Pitman ball but new that the idler is removed you can really check the Pitman good...
And there ya go! Also check out your upper and lower control arm bushings while you're under there, shock bushings, steering box sector shaft play and you've pretty much checked the entire front end!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Cockpit Magician

How much do I owe you for that advice? Do you want the check made out to A7X? haha.

I do know I have a nasty swivel in the uni ball and my bushings are shot on the UCA. I am just a little reluctant to start tearing down my suspension too much. I have done brakes and engine work but the instructions in my haynes repair manual are intiminating. Besides the alignment after all the work, do you think its a fairly painless repair?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:50 PM
A7X

Haha, Mr. A7X is fine

Yeah all that stuff ain't too bad to replace... You will need to be somewhat mechanically inclined but it's all fairly self explanatory... unbolt/bolt in

Tie rods, measure and also count turns when threading em out of the sleeves then turn em in the same amount and you'll be close enough to get to the alignment shop! Actually last time I replaced all 4 rod ends they said I didn't need an alignment!

Remember, SAFETY FIRST! ! jack stands!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:04 AM
A7X

And if all this seems intimidating, we're here to help... And if it is Really intimidating, get someone that knows what they're doing to give a helping hand, if ya don't have that resource and don't think you're ready to tackle the job, bite the bullet and take er to the shop... something going wrong on the street is not worth money saved...
Old 11-08-2011, 12:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have to do ball joints they are easy with a press which also canbe used as a puller vs a bfh and your uca's are super super easy to do
Old 11-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Cockpit Magician

The only reason I am intimidated is that this truck is my daily driver so I can't just park in my garage for a week and work on it when I have time, ya know. My neighbor has an obnoxiously jacked up Jeep that he takes rock crawling all the time so I might grab him for questions. I definitely want to learn about every aspect of my truck and know who has done the work on it, but I am just constrained by time right now.

Quick Reply: Serious Pull to the Right...