Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Front Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Front Shocks

Quick question about front shock bottom mounting bolt. Is the lower control arm threaded where the bottom shock mount bolt goes through it? I picked up some shocks and thought the fronts would be a quick job, with removing the tire being the most time consuming part of the job. Unfortunately, I can't get the bolt to move. Do you drive the bolt out or get a wobbly extension and a impact wrench on it?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Planehauler
Quick question about front shock bottom mounting bolt. Is the lower control arm threaded where the bottom shock mount bolt goes through it? I picked up some shocks and thought the fronts would be a quick job, with removing the tire being the most time consuming part of the job. Unfortunately, I can't get the bolt to move. Do you drive the bolt out or get a wobbly extension and a impact wrench on it?

hey man. the bolt on the lower control arm that holds the shocks in place does not thread through the control arm. all you gotta do is tap the end of the bolt and it should come out. thats what i did with mine. a couple taps and it slid right out, i had to tap it back in when i installed the new shocks as well. its a tight spot in there for that long bolt.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:36 PM

Ok thank you. The nut came right off, but I can't get the bolt to move. I've tapped it lightly with a hammer, put a 13 mm socket and a breaker bar on it to try to turn it out, and soaked it with PB Breaker. Still no movement. Guess I will get a bigger hammer and tap a little harder.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Planehauler
Ok thank you. The nut came right off, but I can't get the bolt to move. I've tapped it lightly with a hammer, put a 13 mm socket and a breaker bar on it to try to turn it out, and soaked it with PB Breaker. Still no movement. Guess I will get a bigger hammer and tap a little harder.
lol just give it a good tap but dont **** the threads up. it should come right out man.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:08 AM
Cockpit Magician

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure you have a six pack of beer handy just in case....
Old 03-21-2012, 01:11 AM

How many beers did it take you to get the bolts out of yours? Maybe I better put 2 on ice since I won't be driving in either case! bahahaha
Old 03-21-2012, 11:00 PM

Welp, got he first one out. The drivers side is even more stubborn if that's possible. I'm letting it rest overnight before trying it again. Will probably see if the local Ford Dealership has any replacements in stock in case I have to get rough with it.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Cockpit Magician

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It was about two beers per side for me. I was surprised to see the bolts were entirely threaded. Yeah just pound on them til you get em out. What shocks did you decide to go with?
Old 03-22-2012, 01:16 AM

I went with the Bilstein 4600. That turned into an ordeal for me too. I couldn't get the post extended far enough to get the nut started. Had the tire back on, the other side jacked up 8 inches to get more weight on it. No go. Finally called em and they told me the washers were upside down. DOH!!

Quick Reply: Front Shocks