Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Fluids Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fluids Change

Hello all. I got a 2001 f150 4x4 automatic with 212000 miles. The truck runs great and I want it to continue running great. The last time the fluids (tranny diff) were replaced was around 115000 miles or ten years ago.

The rear diff is pretty straight forward. What is the best fluid for the rear and how many quarts? I'll get a new gasket and rtv for the cover and clean it out good.

I've heard the front is a pain and not really needed since 4x4 is rarely engaged. Any opinions on this? I would say 4x4 is engaged like ten miles a year.

I've rear the tech instructions on the automatic fluid change. Drain torque converter, drop pan, replace filter, clean magnet and reassemble. The torque converter draining part seems the most difficult. I've called shops and they either just change the fluid in the pan or they flush it. I refuse to let anyone flush my tranny. Is it ok just to change the pan fluidand leave torque converter? What type of fluid and how much? Opinions on this?

Anything else that should be changed? Doing a whole fluid swap this weekend.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2015, 02:02 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

You need 3 qts of 75w-140 synthetic fluid. Brand does not really matter truthfully. You will have many that swear by a particular brand, but no real difference. If you have a limited slip, get some friction modifier also, even if the fluid you use already has some, most end up having to add some after the fact for rear end chattering, and is much easier to do while changing fluid.
No idea on the front since I have a 2wd, but I personally would do the front also. The gears are still turning when driving, just the axle is not engaged. Don't remember the weight of the oil, but it is lighter than the front (75w-90??), but again, brand does not matter.

For the tranny, if you do just a pan drop and filter change, you need around 5 qts of Mercon V fluid. Again, brand does not really matter, so long as it is Merc V fluid (I have used Walmart Supertech fluid with no issue). If you do a pan drop, you can do 1-2 more drops t get more fluid drained out. I did this and added a drain plug to make that part easier.
If you have a '01, you may or may not have the torque converter drain. If you have it, I would drain it, just gets more of the fluid out. Not really that hard, just pop the access plug and turn the motor till you see the drain plug. You need about 12 qts if you do that and drop the pan.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:31 PM

Engine and rear diff are done. Going to let rtv cure overnight until I fill her up. Transmission actually looks easy after I l looked at it. I think I saw a tech article on doing the transmission, I'll have to find it.

When looking I figured I should do transfer case and front diff. Transfer case has an easy access drain and fill plug. What fluid, how much? I found the drain plug on my front diff I will have to search for the fill plug. Seems easy after shield is taken off.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:01 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

Fill plug for Front diff can be accessed from the driver side, shield doesn't need to get taken off. Can't remember if the plug is facing towards the front or the top of the diff. Pull that before you pull the drain plug in case it's seized. Takes a ratchet just like the rear.

3 quarts Mercon V transmission fluid for the transfer case.

Last edited by Tackle; 09-12-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:58 PM

Received 182 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Tackle
Fill plug for Front diff can be accessed from the driver side, shield doesn't need to get taken off. Can't remember if the plug is facing towards the front or the top of the diff. Pull that before you pull the drain plug in case it's seized. Takes a ratchet just like the rear. 3 quarts Mercon V transmission fluid for the transfer case.
ford makes transfer case fluid..
Attached Thumbnails Fluids Change-image-415459951.jpg  
Old 09-12-2015, 11:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fluids Change

Originally Posted by Fordfan2006
ford makes transfer case fluid..
And I believe they do not recommend Merc V in the transfer case. On the back of the jug it should say that. That's why they came out with the transfer case fluid
Old 09-13-2015, 11:21 AM

All fluids replaced. 30 quarts or so.

Front diff was like a milky gray color. Transfer case was burnt black. Rear diff was black and smelled awful. Tranny was a maroon color, not bad but not good.

I have a 2001 and I heard they stopped putting drain plug in after 99. I figured why not take a look. After two small turns on the crankshaft the drain plug on the torque converter appeared! I got lucky. The magnet in bottom of pan was like double in size from all the small metal particles. Whoever came up with the idea to put a magnet on the drain plugs and oil pan is a smart man.

I've owned my truck for 11 years now. I looked at the door jamb and it said H9. Came and looked it up and realized I have a limited slip! I used the royal purple with friction modifier. Truck runs great now.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-13-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Default Fluids Change

Originally Posted by goldenjmu
All fluids replaced. 30 quarts or so.

Front diff was like a milky gray color. Transfer case was burnt black. Rear diff was black and smelled awful. Tranny was a maroon color, not bad but not good.

I have a 2001 and I heard they stopped putting drain plug in after 99. I figured why not take a look. After two small turns on the crankshaft the drain plug on the torque converter appeared! I got lucky. The magnet in bottom of pan was like double in size from all the small metal particles. Whoever came up with the idea to put a magnet on the drain plugs and oil pan is a smart man.

I've owned my truck for 11 years now. I looked at the door jamb and it said H9. Came and looked it up and realized I have a limited slip! I used the royal purple with friction modifier. Truck runs great now.

Thanks for the help!
If you used RP with added friction modifier in the rear you still need to get a tube of FM from the ford dealership. The "added" is not enough.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2002 and read that it should not have a torque converter drain plug but decided to check anyway. I pulled the black plug and the drain plug was right there. I didn't even have to turn the motor.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by 02_Black_On_White
If you used RP with added friction modifier in the rear you still need to get a tube of FM from the ford dealership. The "added" is not enough.
Ok I'll go pick up a bottle. What's the lifetime of limited slip? Do the clutches wear out or need replaced? I'm sure they weren't engaging previously with that old fluid in there.

Quick Reply: Fluids Change