Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Electrical bug

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical bug

Alright so my truck started this about a month ago thought I had it fixed but it started again.

At first my AC would run full blast when I shut the truck off. Took out the AC clutch relay for 24 hours and replaced it and that fixed that problem. The continuing problem comes in here. My 4x4 light randomly flips on and off. 4 wheel drive does not engage during this time. But whIle it is flipping on and off my power windows, windshield wipers and 4 wheel drive do not work unless the light happens to be on. Which is hard to do considering the light flips on and off like crazy.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:30 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

I'd suspect a faulty or failing gem module. It can be caused by a leak in your windshield seal allowing water to get into the gem under the dash. Do more noticable things happen after a rain or washing your truck?

Fix the problem by resealing windshield. If it still happens, replace the gem.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:57 PM

The first time it happened it had rained for a week. Now it just randomly does it. Like 80 degrees sunny today and it did it once
Old 03-31-2016, 07:11 PM
Title

You can pull it out spray electronic contact cleaner on it and let it dry, then stick it back in and see if it's any better. It is attached to the fuse box. Write down the numbers on it when you have it out because if you still have issues, you'll need to find one that matches. Aka one from a truck with the same options.

The windshield is likely the root cause and will need to be sealed again.

The gem controls 4x4, windows, blinkers, chimes, ignition...etc. This is a fairly common issue that results in a wide range of symptoms. Google it for more information.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 548 Likes on 427 Posts

Agreed. The leaking windshield was a common thing with these trucks. So, I'd follow tackle's advice. Also, check the area under the windshield. If that's the cause, then that also has to be addressed. Don't do that, and you'll be in the same boat again.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:27 AM

Received 6,476 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Just out of curiosity... my Buddy suggested I fill the two fuse box bulkhead connections with dielectric grease to help prevent water from getting in there. Have any of you tried that before? When mine was doing all of that stuff that KingTriton's is, the water was in the fuse box rather than the GEM. You can see where I found the water in mine in the bottom of this connector.

My GEM has a cover on it that I believe is keeping the water out of it.

By the way KingTriton, this worked really well for me. I put the whole deal in a bucket with a 5 lb bag of rice for 24 hours.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:47 AM

Received 5,553 Likes on 4,630 Posts

That's a new one...haven't seen it before. Works ehh?
Old 04-01-2016, 01:51 AM

Thanks guys. I'll be sure to check all of it tomorrow after work. Truck never goes very far but it's just irritating having to deal with this stuff.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:06 AM

Received 6,476 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by KingTriton
Thanks guys. I'll be sure to check all of it tomorrow after work. Truck never goes very far but it's just irritating having to deal with this stuff.
Twice when it rained a lot, mine was actually turning over the starter non stop. The first time my Wife was in the hospital and I wasn't home. My neighbor heard it going all possessed like, and said it was also honking the horn. He came over and unhooked the battery on it.

Originally Posted by Jbrew
That's a new one...haven't seen it before. Works ehh?
Yeah, it worked very well and quick too. It works good on wet cell phones too... don't ask me how I know, LOL.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:32 AM
Title

Concrete also draws out moisture, I've heard.

Dielectric grease can be used. I've never tried it for this application but it works to create a seal and prevents water from getting on the contacts. Wouldn't hurt to do if you have it out anyway and determine the windshield isn't the issue.

Last edited by Tackle; 04-01-2016 at 08:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Electrical bug