Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Words or warning/wisdom for all --- Plug Change 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 10:25 AM
NashBulldawg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Words or warning/wisdom for all --- Plug Change 5.4

I know the plug change subject has been beaten to death, i just wanted to share my story to maybe help anyone who is putting this off or thinking this is no big deal. I will start by saying I have 55K on my truck and baby the hell out of it. Only quality shell gas and regular fuel and gas treatments, also Mobil 1 every 3500 miles.

Man what a day i had yesterday! Got to Delk Performance at 9 and they started on my truck right away. Got the penetration oil in there at 9 and let it sit untill 12:30 or so. In the mean time got on my underdrive pulleys and new belt...(didn't need a new alternator) the whine was coming from somewhere else. At 12:30 the horror began....First plug broke...Second broke.....Third came out clean.......Fourth all the porcelin came out but left the metal jacket in the head. Moved the other four plugs a little more and put more penetration fluid and carb cleaner down there. Went to work on the first three broken plugs. Got the jacket out right away with the original Lisle tool but the ones with the porcelin were not coming out. Had to go get the new pusher extractor from O'Riley. Waited another hour to get the tool there and went to work on the two with the porcelin, Finally got the other two out. Now we started on the 4 on the other side....Plug 5 broke....Plug 6 broke.....Plug 7 broke....Plug 8 Broke.....Had to start all over again with the porcelin pusher extractor. Needless to say after a good vacumn of the cylinders and a coating of anti seize on the new plugs-- we put the MotherF**** Motorcraft plugs back in after a long conversation about how the brisk plugs were no good. Needless to say i got there at 9 am and left at 7 PM. Can't say enough good things about they guys there, stayed open 2 hours after closing to get me fixed right (And Didnt rape me on the labor charges). Just an FYI....I ran injector cleaners and fuel treatments through my last four tanks and before that on a regular basis. I also ran seafoam through the vacumn lines the weekend before. It just goes to show no matter what you do it all comes down to dumb luck! sorry for the long post just wanted to give a word of warning to all that need a plug change!

Happy trucking guys, Nashbulldawg
Old 04-10-2010, 03:29 PM
This picture scares you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Notice any difference in how she runs now???
Old 04-10-2010, 04:39 PM
NashBulldawg

Originally Posted by camstng66
Notice any difference in how she runs now???
She idles so smooth now....Never any hesitation or odd vibrations. Seems to have a little better response than before on the throttle. ALso had underdrive pulleys installed. Ill give a write up on them in a week or two after i drive with them. So far i do see more noticeable power on acceleration and when passing on the highway. It's not a huge difference but it's noticeable.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:56 PM
VanoFord2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NashBulldawg
She idles so smooth now....Never any hesitation or odd vibrations. Seems to have a little better response than before on the throttle. ALso had underdrive pulleys installed. Ill give a write up on them in a week or two after i drive with them. So far i do see more noticeable power on acceleration and when passing on the highway. It's not a huge difference but it's noticeable.
Man sorry to hear about your plugs,that sucks.But its good now.Its also good that they stayed open to help ya out ans wasn't so bad on the labor charges.

However tho,i have to dispute what he was saying about the risk plugs.Incorect.I did my own plugs(3 broke off)good thing i full rotunda extractor set with me to get them out)I then installed my brisk plugs and things runs super nice.Nice smooth idle,better acceleration off the line all around running better then it did with my motorcraft plugs in my opinion.I also gotta say brisk is tried and proven in cars as well as trucks.So not to your guy doesn't know about plugs or trucks,but if he knew anything about brisk and what they stand for(quality and reliability)he wouldn't be saying that.Again not trying to say he don't know anything,but i have to dispute what he says about brisk plugs.They are also for more Superior to motercraft plugs

Make sure to let us know about pullies.This is the next mod i will be doing.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:04 PM
NashBulldawg

Originally Posted by Skull31
Man sorry to hear about your plugs,that sucks.But its good now.Its also good that they stayed open to help ya out ans wasn't so bad on the labor charges.

However tho,i have to dispute what he was saying about the risk plugs.Incorect.I did my own plugs(3 broke off)good thing i full rotunda extractor set with me to get them out)I then installed my brisk plugs and things runs super nice.Nice smooth idle,better acceleration off the line all around running better then it did with my motorcraft plugs in my opinion.I also gotta say brisk is tried and proven in cars as well as trucks.So not to your guy doesn't know about plugs or trucks,but if he knew anything about brisk and what they stand for(quality and reliability)he wouldn't be saying that.Again not trying to say he don't know anything,but i have to dispute what he says about brisk plugs.They are also for more Superior to motercraft plugs

Make sure to let us know about pullies.This is the next mod i will be doing.
HE never actually said they were crap....He asked if i wanted to use them and i said i'll use what you use in your own car. He said if you change your plugs on a consistent basis they would be ok, say every 20K or so. THe shop i go to is a Ford Performance shop that specializes in mustangs..... and ford trucks every now and then. He said that after about 30K the brisk plugs show more misses and fouling than the motorcraft. I figure ill trust a guy who was working on a stage three Roush on the dyno and a 800 horsepower Lightning in the bay next to mine.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:25 PM

seems the brisk would be a good way to go. if your gonna change the motorcrafts every 20 thousand and the brisks at 30 or more and not have to worry about them breaking when you change them. i think the next time i change mine i'll try the brisks. i was one of the lucky ones changed mine at 72000 and none broken. but i put in mcs. i'll wait to have 20000 on them and change them to brisks
Old 04-11-2010, 09:35 AM

I used the Matco remover tool which appears to be about the same as the Lisle tool. It comes with the porcelain pusher and the puller. I broke 3 on my truck and it took me a total of 10 minutes for the first broken one with porcelain and a total of 10 minutes to do the other 2. Overall it only took me from 4:30-6pm after work to get all of mine changed. It sat from noon until 4:30 with seafoam in the cylinders too.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:48 PM
BLOWN club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

glad it all got worked out and now you dont have to worry about it anymore
Old 04-11-2010, 02:04 PM
VanoFord2

Originally Posted by NashBulldawg
HE never actually said they were crap....He asked if i wanted to use them and i said i'll use what you use in your own car. He said if you change your plugs on a consistent basis they would be ok, say every 20K or so. THe shop i go to is a Ford Performance shop that specializes in mustangs..... and ford trucks every now and then. He said that after about 30K the brisk plugs show more misses and fouling than the motorcraft. I figure ill trust a guy who was working on a stage three Roush on the dyno and a 800 horsepower Lightning in the bay next to mine.
Ya funny thing is,buddy that help me put mine in,works ata speed shop,and own his own auto shop.Owns a saleen himself and a 89notchback set up for the amature outlaw circuit so i would trust him,and does his own work himself.Oh wait,he has been running brisk in his 06 F150 and in the last year has put on around 60k on his brisk plugs.Never one miss from those plugs.He also runs Brisk plugs in all his stangs.Not trying to say your person is wrong,but you cant argue with brisk results.Motorcraft has had a history of fouled plugs that is widely known,brisk hasn't.I guess it comes to each person's opinion in the end,theirs nor right or wrong person here.Also one thing with the mortorcraft you put back in,their still not two piece,you knew that right?And yes your guy used anti seize,however tho,those can still break off being two piece plugs if they were to get to corroded that is just snaps inside the walls if you were to change them again.Have seen it,lol.Well any point,good luck with them man
Old 04-11-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

the break off isnt an issue anymore ever since they designed the tools, aggervating yes, but you deal with it. and im sorry i am goin to use what the truck was designed which is motorcraft never had issues with OEM plugs, theyll last 75000 if the truck is running properly. if the truck is modded heavly you might go for aftermarket plugs, but for most of us motorcraft is fine

Quick Reply: Words or warning/wisdom for all --- Plug Change 5.4