Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long term storage: good or bad investment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 03:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Long term storage: good or bad investment?

I have a 96 F150 with the 300 ci and 5 speed, standard cab and long bed with dual tanks. It has ~150k original miles and it has been in pieces in my garage for a few years now. I'm toying with the idea of getting it back together (to include new paint) and putting it in storage and waiting for its value to increase.

Thoughts and opinions on if they think this would be worthwhile or if they think the value will not increase enough to offset storage costs?
Old 04-29-2024, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,263 Likes on 2,899 Posts

IMO, while those trucks are becoming more desirable, the value wont increase that much to offset storage, if anything, value will decrease because vehicles that sit for a long time and dont get driven, develop all kinds of problems
The following users liked this post:
eyecandynsx (04-30-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 03:26 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 359 Likes on 269 Posts

Really don't think anyone will pay for a 96 F150, no value there. Nothing makes that a special truck. Even if it was a desirable truck, the miles are way to high. Collectors look for extremely low mileage vehicles, like under 10k or even 5k.

Only trucks I think will have any value in the future:
-Classic 70's restored trucks and original broncos
-Possibly a mint condition low mileage lighting
-Dodge ram SRT10
-Ram TRX
-Trackhawks
-Durango hellcats
-cyclone
-Ford Raptor R's (maybe but they keep building more of them)

Everything else would be a consumable and go down in value..

Last edited by ReaperHWK; 04-29-2024 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:34 PM

@ReaperHWK I'm trying to understand why you think a 70's truck will be valuable but a 90's truck wouldn't. Presumably, the 70's truck is valuable in restored condition due to its age, which is the premise of my question for a 90's truck. So what is the difference in your logic? The other examples you gave make sense as to why their value would increase (and I'm assuming by "cyclone" you're referring to the GM Syclone?)
Old 04-29-2024, 03:38 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Originally Posted by jw11432
@ReaperHWK I'm trying to understand why you think a 70's truck will be valuable but a 90's truck wouldn't. Presumably, the 70's truck is valuable in restored condition due to its age, which is the premise of my question for a 90's truck. So what is the difference in your logic? The other examples you gave make sense as to why their value would increase (and I'm assuming by "cyclone" you're referring to the GM Syclone?)

70's trucks are like 60's muscle cars.... Days of old school vibes, big cubes, carburetors, no electronics, style that is from a bygone era, etc.

A 90's truck doesn't have anything like that, it's pretty much an inferior version of anything out today..... It's like my 2006 F150, there is nothing special about it compared to newer gen trucks. Who would want my 2006 over a 2023?

Yes GMC cyclone.
eyecandynsx (04-30-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ReaperHWK
70's trucks are like 60's muscle cars.... Days of old school vibes, big cubes, carburetors, no electronics, style that is from a bygone era, etc.

A 90's truck doesn't have anything like that, it's pretty much an inferior version of anything out today.....

Yes GMC cyclone.
I remember my thunderchicken, was the exact thing you described. big v8 , huge carb, and no electronics
Mark Miller (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 03:46 PM

Syclone. Not Cyclone. lol

Ok, so time is your variable. It's only a matter of time before the old school nostalgia is applied to newer vehicles. At a certain point, vehicles from the 60's and 70's will cease to exist as mother nature works to reclaim it for the earth. But younger generations will have the same sentiment for the vehicles their parents had, just as older generations have nostalgia for the vehicles their parents had, or whatever the basis of that sentiment is. But to suggest an inferior quality is silly, these trucks are still built on a twin I-beam frame and are very well built.

Having said that, I think I agree with djfllmn and that the increase in value would not likely be enough to offset storage costs, so I'm kinda thinking my best bet is to sell within the next few years. At minimum, I'll triple my money at least.
ReaperHWK (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 03:49 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Ok, so time is your variable. It's only a matter of time before the old school nostalgia is applied to newer vehicles. At a certain point, vehicles from the 60's and 70's will cease to exist as mother nature works to reclaim it for the earth. But younger generations will have the same sentiment for the vehicles their parents had, just as older generations have nostalgia for the vehicles their parents had, or whatever the basis of that sentiment is. But to suggest an inferior quality is silly, these trucks are still built on a twin I-beam frame and are very well built.

Having said that, I think I agree with djfllmn and that the increase in value would not likely be enough to offset storage costs, so I'm kinda thinking my best bet is to sell within the next few years. At minimum, I'll triple my money at least.
Could be true, but I think there are enough collectors that have some of the top tier 60's muscle cars that they will be around for a LONG time. Lots of them sitting in bubbles. And people put tons of money into them for restoration especially for the ones that are worth over 150-200k(ex. Chevelle SS 454 LS6).

You going to wait 30 more years and pay storage costs that long?

Last edited by ReaperHWK; 04-29-2024 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

I hate to burst your bubble. You won't triple your money in something like that
Old 04-29-2024, 03:57 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Originally Posted by djfllmn
I hate to burst your bubble. You won't triple your money in something like that
Maybe if it was in an airtight bubble, never disassembled, and had 1000 miles on the odometer.

Quick Reply: Long term storage: good or bad investment?