Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Windshield wiper problems (always on)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield wiper problems (always on)

Hello. New to the f150 family (always been a mustang guy though).

When my fiancee and I bought our 2007 f150 it had a small issue with it. The wipers didn't work. I found out there was no fuse in it.

When I put the fuse in the wipers go on, looks like full speed (but not the top speed). It will go on even with the truck off. I'm guessing this is an always closed circuit.

Any ideas on what steps I can take to fix this issue? I was looking at the relays but any relays that look like it could belong to the wiper is also coupled with other accessories. Still a possibility I guess but more unlikely.

Are the f150s known to have some issues with the turn signal assembly? It looks like an original part. But what else could it be?

Last edited by Mdk0420; 05-28-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Sounds like the seller was hiding the issue. In some states, that is not allowed.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Sounds like the seller was hiding the issue. In some states, that is not allowed.
They weren't hiding the problem. We knew the wipers weren't working which is why we got it at a pretty decent price. There's not a whole lot I can see being the problem. Relays and turn signal assembly. But those are the only two things I can think of. Was mostly wondering if there were some other things that could cause this issue that I'm not thinking of.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:33 AM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

I had this problem on an old expedition. It ended up being the multifunction switch. Something to look into.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by connorfx4
I had this problem on an old expedition. It ended up being the multifunction switch. Something to look into.
I was thinking that too. Problem is I don't have any diagrams. Also don't k ow the exact name of the connectors in the 07. Checked into multi function switch but it must be called something else because everything is split now.

There's 1 male connector coming from the turn signal assembly. The other 2 are female connectors. The one male connector leads directly to the wiper functions.

I wanted to test some of the connections but I can't without a diagram for it. Don't feel like spending the money for an alldata lookup either lol. Any clue what the connectors would be called on the 07?
Old 06-04-2016, 05:31 PM

Still looking into this issue. I replaced turn signal assembly and no go. I tested the fuses and all good. Are there any relays at all for the wipers? Manual isn't going anything except for the cartridge fuse (which needs to be left out or wipers will always be on even with he truck off and parked), and another mini fuse which even taken out the wipers still run. That was fuse location #1 for run/accessory wipers, cluster and radio/audio.

Anyone have any diagrams on these wiring and connections?
Old 06-06-2016, 06:21 PM
Seņor Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Are they always on in one position? Or can you adjust the speed even with them always on?
Is the wiring loom damaged in anyway between the steering column and the wiper motors?
I had a previous vehicle where the owner used a 3" drywall screw to mount a speaker.
The screw went through the door wiring bundle. It shorted SO much together.
I cut out the shorted bundle, spliced all the wires back together, and all was fixed.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:45 PM

Figured I should mention that this issue was resolved. I replaced the wiper motor and everything worked good. Must've been some kind of issue with the circuit inside the motor leaving it always on. It was always on, even with the truck off. However the "Max" setting worked. And when it was on in any other position it acted as if it was in the second highest setting the whole time. Hopefully this helps someone else out in the future
Old 09-28-2016, 08:42 PM

I have a 2012 F-150 and the wipers stay on all of the time, even with the pickup turned off. I have to raise the hood and take the fuse out to make them go off. The speeds are all correct, its just when you turn it to off they want go off. Every once in awhile you can go from high to low to off and they will actually go off, but not every often. How can I know if its the wiper motor or the multifunction switch.
The turn signal, cruise, lights all work just fine
Old 10-21-2016, 03:28 PM

Having similar problem with my daughter's 2011 F-150. Wiper just comes on. Most times stops only when ignition is turned off. Wife turned wipers up to max speed and then off. Wipers stopped. Thinking it is the multifunction switch. You might try that. I will be replacing her mf switch. If it works will reply.

Quick Reply: Windshield wiper problems (always on)