Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Spark plug change

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark plug change

I'm changing the plugs on my 2004 F150 Lariat 4x4 and I have a quick question about getting to the rear passenger side plug (would that be cylinder #4?) Should I unplug and remove the PCM on the firewall? I have already unbolted it and removed the bracket but I still can't even really see that back COP. I'm a little nervous about disturbing the connectors there if I don't have to. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I removed everything on my 06, I have big hands and I had too. I unplugged and pulled hoses on everything close to the coils.
Good luck, I followed the instructions and broke 7 of 8 plugs. Back passenger the only one that came out in one peace. The Lisle tool works great. I used real long needle-nose-pliers to pull the 4 electrodes out.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:14 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Get some light in there

Its not fun but its doable . Torque those plugs in from 25-28 foot pounds . Its best to use a little anti sieze on cop bolts .
Replace the boots and springs use a little dielectric compound on each end of rubber boot . Clean all cop contacts , you want a good connection for the next 60k . Don't use off brand plugs .
Old 07-01-2017, 07:31 PM

My truck has 225,000 miles and I have no idea when the plugs were last changed. The plugs in there right now are 5/8" instead of 9/16" like the Motorcraft plugs I got to put in there. Hopefully they used a modern replacement that won't break like the Champions. I cracked them open a quarter turn and have them soaking in carb cleaner now. I'll try removing them tomorrow. I should probably buy all new COPs but I'll try a plug change first to see if it gets rid of my occasional miss I've had a few times lately. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waldreps
I'm changing the plugs on my 2004 F150 Lariat 4x4 and I have a quick question about getting to the rear passenger side plug (would that be cylinder #4?) Should I unplug and remove the PCM on the firewall? I have already unbolted it and removed the bracket but I still can't even really see that back COP. I'm a little nervous about disturbing the connectors there if I don't have to. Thanks.
I cracked mine open about a quarter turn, then put a mix of PB blaster and carb cleaner in mine, walk away for and hour let sit, then repeated quarter turn and re tighten down a bit, back and forth till they came out. was a long process but no plug breakage. when they came out they were wet for PB and carb cleaner but could see where it helped.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:58 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Default Its standard to remove pcm and bracket

Get all the flex head ratchets and extensions you need for those back ones . I go to harbor freight and buy any combination I think I could use . Plenty of different lengths of extensions ,universal joints .
Old 07-02-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

I managed to do all 8 without removing anything other than the coils. Each person is different though. If it makes it easier for you, then by all means get it out of your way.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:14 PM

I managed to get them all out. The previous owner had champion plugs in there which probably helped getting them out without any breaking. I'm putting Motorcraft SP515s in there with some nickel anti-sieze. The champions were in pretty good shape except most of them were in the 0.060 range for gap. Now to get the new ones in and everything cleaned up.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:58 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Default Clean that cyl tip are out with carb cleaner

Using anti seize was only a temp solution until they redesigned plugs , you can use it but it can cause other problems .Getting that carbon cleaned out of there is important.
I have run three sets of champs no problem, just bought a set of sp515 but some posters complaining about bad out of the box so I'm sticking with champs .
And I use a tiny bit of nickle anti seize on threads . But always change the boots and clean all cop connections .
Old 07-03-2017, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by redfishtd
Using anti seize was only a temp solution until they redesigned plugs , you can use it but it can cause other problems .Getting that carbon cleaned out of there is important.
I have run three sets of champs no problem, just bought a set of sp515 but some posters complaining about bad out of the box so I'm sticking with champs .
And I use a tiny bit of nickle anti seize on threads . But always change the boots and clean all cop connections .
That's odd cause on the three F150 forums I'm on I've mostly heard just the opposite... problems with champions and switching back to Motorcraft. Also champions don't seem to last long before the gap is really large. I don't know personally but read lots of posts about it. Anti seize is still recommended even with newer plugs on the extended part. You just have to be careful not to get it on the ground strap.