Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Pulled the trigger on some new tires!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 05:13 AM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Pulled the trigger on some new tires!!

After pondering for the last two weeks whether I was going to go back with the Nitto Terra Grapplers or go with the Ridge Grappler.

As stated in a previous post, I had about 75,000 miles on the Terra's. Far exceeded all expectations for a 325/65 tire. G1 was 34.8" tall and 13" wide. I'd have been happy with 50000 miles!!! I can't say enough good things about my first set of Nittos. Lasted 7 years, towing my tandem trailer, bass boat, tractor, and whatever else needed hauling and still had tread left.

So, with an experience like that, it made it hard to switch to anything else.

After reading reviews, scanning sites, speaking to tire store (most all of which all had no clue as they are a relatively new tire), and with Nitto, I decided to go with the Ridge Grapplers.

I was made to feel confident that my expectations for these should be similar to my previous Nitto experience and I like the more aggressive look of the Ridge.

I'm attaching some photos, this is the first set I've ever seen so I didnt know exactly what to expect. Especially since I decided to downsize a tad bit to free up some fender well space (strictly for cosmetics). I wanted to go with a 305/65 but that size is not available for an 18" wheel. My goal was to go down in diameter and width just a small amount and I was willing to give more width up to retain the height.

So, went with a 295/70 R18 10 Ply. It's 34.3" in diameter and 11.77" wide. So, only lost about a 1/4"on the truck height, which I'm glad for, and lost 1.23" on the width. It's also a little bit lighter than my old Terra Grapplers.

Instantly had to reprogram my speedo as it was way off. I'm hoping the reduction in size may help my MPG a little.

One of the biggest Pro's about these tires I'd read was how quiet they were supposed to be for the type of tire it is. These tires are MUCH quieter than the Terra Grapplers were. It's remarkable how quiet and smooth the ride is for such an aggressive tire.

Well, thats all I got for now. Just wanted to share the latest $$$$ spent on the ol girl and I'll update if any significant developments occur.

The following users liked this post:
LariatDude (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Now THAT's a handsome set of tires. Congrats!!
Old 06-23-2017, 12:02 PM

[QUOTE=LariatDude;5364945]Now THAT's a handsome set of tires.

Thanks man!

after 13 years owning the truck, it's not too often I do anything that I get excited about to the truck but, I'm happy about how these tires look on her.

you know with something like tires, and having never seen a set in person, it's hard to know exactly how they will look once installed. Feel like I won on this bet though!
Old 06-23-2017, 01:01 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I can't wait to put new ones on mine. I know I want nittos again, but after seeing your pics I'll definitely be getting ridge graps
The following users liked this post:
Jamieat (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 02:47 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by SCORGE
I can't wait to put new ones on mine. I know I want nittos again, but after seeing your pics I'll definitely be getting ridge graps

Maybe the size plays some part in it but, I cant believe that the ride is even better than the Terra's and they are much quieter, really can't even hear them running 60.

I am a believer in the brand and already exceeds expectations. I did the Nitrogen Fill as before. So, only time will tell the life but I'm optimistic and would recommend them to anyone.

Price was about 30 bucks a tire more than the G2's but well worth it. As expensive as they are, what's $120 at that point right?!

Anyway, thanks man and its SOOOOO tempting to hit the ol dirt path through the river bottom behind my house as it's been raining like crazy just to test them out. I'm sure the traction is superior to what I had before. I just can't bring myself to get her all muddied up. Not b/c I care if she gets dirty, I just dont wanna have to wash!!!

A 12 pack, after midnight tonight, I may feel different and have some more pics by the end of the weekend!!! LOL
Old 06-23-2017, 05:46 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 339 Likes on 253 Posts

Looks great.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by ReaperHWK
Looks great.
Thank you very much sir
Old 06-29-2017, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel size

Hello Jamieat just wondering what width are your stock wheels and what height is your lift on your truck it looks great . Thanks Dave
Old 06-29-2017, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Leojet757
Hello Jamieat just wondering what width are your stock wheels and what height is your lift on your truck it looks great . Thanks Dave

Wheels, according to the sticker in the door jam (unibody) they are 7.5" x 18".

I have a 2.5" leveling kit on it.

Thanks for the compliment. I've had it for 13 years and still enjoy taking care of it just like i did the day I got it.