Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Keys for Our Trucks??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Keys for Our Trucks??

hey guys do our trucks have chips in there keys?? i know some of the last generaiton did, and is it on all models??? Do the lower modles (i.e. XL, STX) have them also? im askin because my truck just came with one key, and i was wonderin if i wanted another one would i have to go threw the delaer or could wally world or lowes help me out ha.

preciate the replies
Old 03-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

I do not think they do.

I know that a cool mod is to get a key from a Fusion (Key with integrated remote) and have it cut for your truck. All it takes is to just program the keyless entry system to work with that key wich is explained in the owners manual.

No reprogramming of the key needed.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lenn
I do not think they do.

I know that a cool mod is to get a key from a Fusion (Key with integrated remote) and have it cut for your truck. All it takes is to just program the keyless entry system to work with that key wich is explained in the owners manual.

No reprogramming of the key needed.

Another way I seperate myself from the pack....

That makes no sense to me to have the remote integrated with the key. I'd hate that. The reason I want keyless entry is so I can leave the truck running, and lock the doors..... If the remote is in the key, you can't do that without the keypad(which I have anyway) or another remote. I have my ignition keys on one half of a key chain with a quick disconnect and on the other I have the remotes and other keys...... And I use it almost daily.... daily in the winter..
Old 03-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Administrator

I have not done the mod because I can not justify spending $30 on a key and then $XX to get it cut when I already have functional items that work fine for me.

I just know that a couple people have done it.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:08 PM
PJB

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The keys to my '06 have a chip. I had to get a key made when I bought the truck for a spare and it had to be programmed by a locksmith. A computer hooks up to the obd2 port and programs it.

I made the dealer pay for it so I dont know the cost.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Black 06 F150 SCab 4x4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenn
I have not done the mod because I can not justify spending $30 on a key and then $XX to get it cut when I already have functional items that work fine for me.

I just know that a couple people have done it.
My local hardware store charges about $1 to cut any key... so if you are paying $xx then you are getting ripped off by at least 1000%. Shop around some. Oh, and Wal-Mart sucks, try Ace hardware.

Also, to the other person above... leaving your keys in the ignition is a great way to have your insurance company deny your claim. It also makes it significantly harder to prove breaking and entering if the thief has a key and a story how you let him borrow the truck. Remote start systems let you leave it running without your key in... and they come as part of a security system usually. Talk to Travis at KC Auto Sound. He does a great job and is excellent to work with.

www.kcautosound.com (I bought my remote start from him on my last vehicle and will buy one before long for my truck)
Old 03-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by djbruce26
My local hardware store charges about $1 to cut any key... so if you are paying $xx then you are getting ripped off by at least 1000%. Shop around some. Oh, and Wal-Mart sucks, try Ace hardware.

Also, to the other person above... leaving your keys in the ignition is a great way to have your insurance company deny your claim. It also makes it significantly harder to prove breaking and entering if the thief has a key and a story how you let him borrow the truck. Remote start systems let you leave it running without your key in... and they come as part of a security system usually. Talk to Travis at KC Auto Sound. He does a great job and is excellent to work with.

www.kcautosound.com (I bought my remote start from him on my last vehicle and will buy one before long for my truck)
I am not paying $xx... I am not paying anything. I just used "XX" to denote "I have no idea how much".
Old 03-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Black 06 F150 SCab 4x4

Ahh, I was worried there for a moment... Nevermind me then--I'm just slowly losing my mind...
Old 03-24-2009, 07:38 PM
'08 4x4 Crew

Yes they do have a chip in them If you get it programed by the ford dealer you will pay out the ***** but if you have them cut the key you can program it yourself. Just look in your owners manual
Old 03-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

The 2004 to 2008 trucks have a "transmitter" in the black part of the key. There is a "transiever" based around the ignition cylinder (a wire circles the the top of the ignition cylinder under the plastic column cover). When the key is inserted into the ignition, the key transmits it's "signal" to the transeiver, and a message is sent to the PATS (passive anti theft) circuit located in the PCM (power control module) located in the engine compartment, passenger side firewall. The PATS sends a "go/no go" which basically enables/disables the ignition (spark) allowing the engine to start (or not start).

Yes, you can take a blank PATS key to any hardware store and have it cut to turn the ignition cylinder, but the transmitter within the key has to be programmed into your PATS/PCM.

Your owners manual tells you how to program a new key to your truck. It requires that you have TWO keys already (yes, TWO keys). If you only have one key, then your Ford dealership will have to program your second key.

It is good to have two keys; this way you can program a third (or forth) yourself. If you only have one key, it's a trip to the dealership (and possibly a charge).

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 03-24-2009 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Keys for Our Trucks??