Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Key Replacement/Programming

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 10:59 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Key Replacement/Programming

I called around a few places and have been quoted around $160 by local shops and around that figure by the dealership. I figure I can save some money by ordering keys/keyfobs myself at least, cut it at Home Depot, then have the dealership program them (I only have one key and fob for my truck). Will these work, and are they priced well?:http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Ford...JXhQEd&vxp=mtr
Old 03-30-2017, 07:37 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Yes, those will work. Once you get a second key programmed maybe consider getting 1 or 2 more spares that can then be programmed by you and keep the 2 masters in a safe place so you don't have to pay a dealer to reprogram anymore keys. If you have 2 master keys you can program spares on your own. The fob you can always program on your own.
The following users liked this post:
LariatDude (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

So couple of things, first off, call a local locksmith. My local guy, who runs his business out of his van, had the Ford transponder keys, cut and programmed one, and then cut me a valet key, for $35 out the door.

The fobs you can program yourself and they're $10 for 2 on amazon, even with prime shipping.

https://smile.amazon.com/OxGord-KYRC...dp/B017SKPTK0/

(these are the ones I got awhile back) https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KTIUG5C/
LariatDude (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by StephenG
Yes, those will work. Once you get a second key programmed maybe consider getting 1 or 2 more spares that can then be programmed by you and keep the 2 masters in a safe place so you don't have to pay a dealer to reprogram anymore keys. If you have 2 master keys you can program spares on your own. The fob you can always program on your own.
Good idea!!
Originally Posted by elricfate
So couple of things, first off, call a local locksmith. My local guy, who runs his business out of his van, had the Ford transponder keys, cut and programmed one, and then cut me a valet key, for $35 out the door.

The fobs you can program yourself and they're $10 for 2 on amazon, even with prime shipping.

https://smile.amazon.com/OxGord-KYRC...dp/B017SKPTK0/

(these are the ones I got awhile back) https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KTIUG5C/
Oh man I need a guy like yours. I did call around here and they asked a pretty high price. Might have to extend my reach a little farther
Old 03-30-2017, 10:11 AM

Oh and another question, I have one of those "ILCO" keys with a bigger head on the key. It's not even the original. Would this key even work with programming the new one at the dealership?
Old 03-30-2017, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by LariatDude
Oh and another question, I have one of those "ILCO" keys with a bigger head on the key. It's not even the original. Would this key even work with programming the new one at the dealership?

That depends on the key. It needs to have the correct chip in it. Do you have a link to where you bought the key? Then it depends on the dealer. Some of them don't care what key as long as the chip matches.... some will only do a factory ford key. The way the system works is the chip inside the key puts out a signal and that signal is read by the computer. If it is not recognized by the computer it wont start. The dealer just basically tells the computer that the signal (if compatible) is a good signal and so the computer accepts it as a master key.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LariatDude
I called around a few places and have been quoted around $160 by local shops and around that figure by the dealership. I figure I can save some money by ordering keys/keyfobs myself at least, cut it at Home Depot, then have the dealership program them (I only have one key and fob for my truck). Will these work, and are they priced well?:http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Ford...JXhQEd&vxp=mtr
I've bought a couple from Lowes and with one key they programmed it for me in the store. The key was $75 or so.

The fob does take 2 keys for some reason but they work fine. I ordered 2 new ones on ebay for my truck and 2 for my suv. $15? All programmed fine and work great
Old 03-30-2017, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by diver64
I've bought a couple from Lowes and with one key they programmed it for me in the store. The key was $75 or so.

The fob does take 2 keys for some reason but they work fine. I ordered 2 new ones on ebay for my truck and 2 for my suv. $15? All programmed fine and work great

$75 for the key?!?!? or for the key and to program it? Keys are like $12 on ebay and they work most of the time.

The fob does not require two keys to program. It is simply a sequence involving having your doors unlocked. Turning the key on and off a number of times the pressing any button on the fob. Its laid out in the owners manual.

Last edited by BadFish523; 03-30-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:18 PM

Programming remote transmitters
It is necessary to have all (maximum of six — original and/or new) of
your remote transmitters available prior to beginning this procedure. If
all remote entry transmitters are not present during the programming
procedure, the transmitters that are not present during programming will
no longer operate the vehicle.

2006 F-150 (f12)
Owners Guide (post-2002-fmt)
USA (fus)
Locks and Security

To program the transmitters yourself:
Note: Ensure the brake pedal is not
depressed during this sequence.
Unlock all doors using the power
door lock/unlock control. Insert a
key and turn the ignition from
the 1 (OFF/LOCK) to the 3 (ON)
position and cycle between 1
(OFF/LOCK) and 3 (ON) eight
times in rapid succession (within
10 seconds) with the eighth turn
ending in the 3 (ON) position. The locks will cycle to confirm that the
programming mode has been entered.
Within 20 seconds, program a remote transmitter by pressing any
button on a transmitter. The locks will cycle once to confirm that the
remote transmitter has been programmed. (If more than 20 seconds
pass before pressing a remote transmitter button, the programming
mode will exit and the procedure will have to be repeated.)
Repeat the previous step to program additional remote transmitters.
The locks will cycle once to confirm that each remote transmitter has
been programmed.
When you have completed programming the remote transmitters, turn
the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position or wait 20 seconds. Again
the doors will lock/unlock to confirm programming has been
completed

This is directly from the 06 and/or 07 owners manual.
LariatDude (03-31-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 07:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by StephenG
$75 for the key?!?!? or for the key and to program it? Keys are like $12 on ebay and they work most of the time.

The fob does not require two keys to program. It is simply a sequence involving having your doors unlocked. Turning the key on and off a number of times the pressing any button on the fob. Its laid out in the owners manual.
The key and program it. No, the key takes two to program it and I only had one. The fob doesn't and was easy to do