Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Grinding noises

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 05:37 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Grinding noises

So I have a 2008 F150 FX4 and have a grinding sound coming from my front passenger side. I've currently had my iwe solenoid replace and vacuum lines replaced (lines were leaking) and the dealership gave my truck back saying it's fixed. Around 1600 RPM steady speed I can hear the sound again so I took it back and they replaced the actuator. Got the truck back around 4pm and heard the noise AGAIN that night. They have been taking it on road tests and still nothing. I drove it with the shop manager and he finally heard it but doesn't have a clue what it could be. Anyone have this issue and a resolution?
Old 04-30-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like it could be the hub bearing on the passenger side. Would need to replace the entire hub assembly. I would think they would have checked it out when the did the iwe but you never know as the techs are single minded and only do the bare minimum thats required of them.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by IceFishinFool
Sounds like it could be the hub bearing on the passenger side. Would need to replace the entire hub assembly. I would think they would have checked it out when the did the iwe but you never know as the techs are single minded and only do the bare minimum thats required of them.
they told me it's more than likely not the hub but I don't know what else would cause it
Old 04-30-2014, 07:05 PM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Does the noise go away if you put it in 4wd hi?
Old 04-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

Well,... There are these to read through. Vacuum lines, or solenoid, or IWEs, or check valves... etc... Lots of shops still haven't found this information. Even at dealerships.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1211749-4wd-not-working-help-me-pinpoint-my-issue-plz.html#post12662529

https://www.f150forum.com/f72/how-di...m-esof-186872/

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/83...then-some.html
Old 05-01-2014, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by 07_F150_XLT_SCab
Does the noise go away if you put it in 4wd hi?
I can't say yet because it comes and goes unless I can get the perfect pedal placement. I told them to jump on the forums and read into it and fix it already. 3 days in the shop is getting old fast
Old 05-01-2014, 02:12 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Quickest way to determine if it's IWE related is throw it into 4hi like 07_f150 suggested or pull the vacuum line from the IWE solenoid (force the front differential to lock the hubs). If you can't simulate the noise in either of those, it's related to the IWE system somewhere.

I had an issue where my passenger side IWE hub was shot but the leak was at the point where the passenger IWE was locked, and could generate enough vacuum loss to make the drivers side partially engage. This made it seem as if the drivers side was shot as it was making the noise, but it was actually the passenger side. This would only happen under load on hills, certain RPM, etc. The best way to test it then is by vacuum testing the hubs individually. The links 60DRB provided will help with that.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:56 AM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

yep...replace the other IWE and be done...
Old 05-01-2014, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by homer
Quickest way to determine if it's IWE related is throw it into 4hi like 07_f150 suggested or pull the vacuum line from the IWE solenoid (force the front differential to lock the hubs). If you can't simulate the noise in either of those, it's related to the IWE system somewhere. I had an issue where my passenger side IWE hub was shot but the leak was at the point where the passenger IWE was locked, and could generate enough vacuum loss to make the drivers side partially engage. This made it seem as if the drivers side was shot as it was making the noise, but it was actually the passenger side. This would only happen under load on hills, certain RPM, etc. The best way to test it then is by vacuum testing the hubs individually. The links 60DRB provided will help with that.
thanks I'll pass the info onto the techs working on my truck. I'm not handy enough to do it myself. When I first took it in my driver side was really grinding and they found leaking vac lines but you'd think they would have fixed all the leaks that day
Old 05-01-2014, 10:00 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Surkanos
thanks I'll pass the info onto the techs working on my truck. I'm not handy enough to do it myself. When I first took it in my driver side was really grinding and they found leaking vac lines but you'd think they would have fixed all the leaks that day
No worries. If they are a shop who hasn't come across the IWE issue yet (but really, who hasn't? LOL - I think EVERYONE with our F150's have experienced that issue hahahaha), then they may not have fully understood how the system operates. That's where it can be a bit tricky. At the end of the day though, it's really not that complicated.

Let us know how it works out

Quick Reply: Grinding noises