Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Ford vs Me. Need help with "diesel" sounding engine.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ford vs Me. Need help with "diesel" sounding engine.

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I've been reading through all sorts of forums and I'm not sure if this is the same as what everybody is describing. I have a 2008 Ford f150 SuperCrew with a 5.4 liter 3 valve engine. The truck has 68000 miles on it and it's still under extended warranty from Ford.

So here's the situation. For about the past 10,000 to 15,000 miles I've had this noise and is getting progressively worse. When the air conditioning is on it is much much worse. It basically sounds like a diesel firing up it's driving me crazy. Along with that I'm getting a smell of oil burning so I cannot run my air conditioning with the fresh air vent, only on recirculate. They have been several instances also where I've had loss of power when I go to push down on the throttle to the point I almost got in an accident before. The engine seems excessively hot but when I hook up the OBD2 reader it is showing the coolant temp at 210 degrees.

Here is a video I shot tonight after doing about 35 minutes of driving around my neighborhood.

https://youtu.be/El0qVKXqtKY

at this point the dealerships kick me off the property because I got into it with the service managers. He is trying to say that "spark knock" and according to Ford it is normal and will not do damage to my vehicle.

From everything I've been reading it sounds like even if I go through their customer helpline or corporate I'm still going to end up having to make the repairs myself and pay out of pocket even though I have an extended warranty.

if anybody can give me some inside I would greatly appreciate it. I'm at my wit's end swear after this I'm never ever buying a Ford again! don't get me wrong, I love the truck, I just hate the service I've been getting!

Thanks in advance. Chris
Old 06-29-2019, 02:39 AM

Also on check there are no codes or check engine lights coming on. occasionally also air conditioning will kick out because I'm assuming the engine is getting too hot? The truck has never thrown a check engine light or a code. same thing as last month they had to rebuild my entire transmission because apparently my torque converter went out and sent shrapnel through the entire transmission. But again, no fault codes of any kind.

The service manager also told me that they need some hard evidence or codes in order to make repairs. They said Ford would not authorize any repairs without hard evidence.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:58 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Spark knock cannot occur at idle. It only happens under load. On a modern engine, extreme spark knock is pretty rare, knock sensors will cause the PCM to pull back the ignition timing as necessary to prevent/stop any spark knock.

Although not a 100% diagnosis, what you describe is typical of a "phaser knock" and is a common issue on all Ford 3v engines.

What are you using for a scan tool?
Old 06-29-2019, 11:14 AM

Did you watch the video? There's a link to one I uploaded to YouTube.

In the video the E-brake is on & it's in drive so it's under load technically. The AC is also on.

As for scanner I'm using the Android app "Torque Pro" with a Bluetooth OBD scanner.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:21 AM
Señor Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree with Freak007 about the phaser knock. Have you read through this sticky post? https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-r...-sound-141266/

Real common with our trucks.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:29 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Find a different dealer that is willing to work on the truck, sounds to me like the first one has warranty'itis.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:58 AM

I live in Vegas and have tried all the dealerships out here. There's only four of them. All of them say the same thing. I agree it seems like none of them want to do any kind of warranty work!
Old 06-29-2019, 12:00 PM

As for reading through on the face or not I have. I have read every forum, every tsp and covered every part of the web. That was my first thought when I first brought it to them when they only had 55,000 miles on it. Everybody was telling me at that point it was spark knock. I've look at the videos on YouTube and it doesn't really sound the same as mine. I even reached out to the YouTuber FordTechMakuLoco. he looked at the videos I shot previously and said it was a combination of issues. He was suggesting timing chain stretch, chain guides, cam phasers and solenoids. He also suggested upgrading the oil pump.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoktronic
Did you watch the video? There's a link to one I uploaded to YouTube.

In the video the E-brake is on & it's in drive so it's under load technically. The AC is also on.

As for scanner I'm using the Android app "Torque Pro" with a Bluetooth OBD scanner.
I did. I still believe it sounds like a phaser knock.

Look through the thread that I recently posted regarding the issues I am having with my phasers. While I am using a different software, it will give you a good idea of what you need to monitor in order to identify cam timing issues.

Originally Posted by Shoktronic
.... I even reached out to the YouTuber FordTechMakuLoco. he looked at the videos I shot previously and said it was a combination of issues. He was suggesting timing chain stretch, chain guides, cam phasers and solenoids. He also suggested upgrading the oil pump.
This would be the typical repair for failed phasers.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:12 PM

I forgot to mention when I spoke with the service manager he said they reached out to Ford technician or engineering hotline and they said it was typical and to not warranty it.

So what am I to do?

Quick Reply: Ford vs Me. Need help with "diesel" sounding engine.