Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

DIY Timing job.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 12:13 PM

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Default DIY Timing job.

Can I do it? which is the question I have been asking myself along with looking at countless videos. I've never tackled one especially on this type of engine. I know I am physically capable of getting in there and it doesn't seem like you can really mess it up if you take your time and pay attention. is there anybody out there that went through the same thing? Part of me wants to do it to say that I did and to save money of course but the other part stares at all the stuff and goes "Oh my God". I'm not looking for a pep talk but someone that actually went for it with the same hesitation that I have and was successful and would recommend doing it. On the other hand since I'm no expert will I be able to recognize other issues such as bad lifters or rollers etc. I would be replacing the oil pump and know that I might have to pull the oil pan. Now, that being said. I do have a Ford Mech that works on the side that would do it for $1,000 labor if I buy all parts. He needs it on a fri and sat. So, all opinions welcome. Thanks
Old 06-18-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 119 Likes on 110 Posts

i am the simple kind of dyi mechanic. brakes/ plugs ect. but not into the timing ect. i had my 05 done when it blew the plug. about $3200 that included fixing all the plugs at the samm time and polishing the heads and cam. pretty much a rebuild on the topside. ran so good after it broke the toque converter within 2k miles. that was in the 250-255k mile range so i didn't mind getting a lil love put into the engine and a rebuild of the tranny.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:02 PM
LightningRod

Received 640 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy J
Can I do it?
Y E S, Y O U C A N.

No pep talk. But if I, and a couple others here, can get through it at 70 years old, I know anyone can. I would have to have something to get ahold of to get my stiff *** back up after getting under it. But just took about 7 days a little at a time. I am no expert either. Wrenched lots in my younger hot rod days. But was totally unfamiliar with these new fangled engines and phasers and apprehensive about it. Social security dictated I do it myself. Even at my age, I would probably do it again for $1,000.00 - mainly because I could feel it was done right. And I made a couple of expensive mistakes too.

Just remember - "righty - tighty" / "lefty - loosey" and you can get lots of help from here.,
Old 06-18-2017, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by F150Torqued
Y E S, Y O U C A N.

No pep talk. But if I, and a couple others here, can get through it at 70 years old, I know anyone can. I would have to have something to get ahold of to get my stiff *** back up after getting under it. But just took about 7 days a little at a time. I am no expert either. Wrenched lots in my younger hot rod days. But was totally unfamiliar with these new fangled engines and phasers and apprehensive about it. Social security dictated I do it myself. Even at my age, I would probably do it again for $1,000.00 - mainly because I could feel it was done right. And I made a couple of expensive mistakes too.

Just remember - "righty - tighty" / "lefty - loosey" and you can get lots of help from here.,
I'm 52 and can barely get myself up from under there sometimes so you're making me feel bad ha ha. I'm not planning on 7 days that's for sure. What expensive mistakes did you make? I did the plugs, coils, vcts and even my exhaust and a host of other things so I sure hope I got the righty lefty thing correct. Actually I'm a contractor by trade so I have that figured out but appreciate your humor. Its the whole cam position thing that scares me. I know everythings got timing marks but I somehow think I can still screw things up because I'm not an expert on the whole concept of timing and position of parts. There are some good vids out there but attempting the unknown for the first time makes me nervous. You should see my wifes acura Tl. You can't even get your hands in there to change a belt. I hate that car too. Anyway, thanks for the reply
Old 06-18-2017, 11:48 PM
LightningRod

Received 640 Likes on 513 Posts

What expensive mistakes did you make?
You just jump right to it, don't you?

Well --- first thing, laying on my back under the damn thing (can't see s@%#t) trying to get the A/C compressor off, I loosened the wrong bolts and broke the seal on the A/C compressor! Then after bumping my head tryin' to get outa' the way, wiping the freon out of my eyes and off my glasses and getting a flash light under there, I found the three bolts that actually holds the damn thing to the block. So I rationalized that 212,000 miles was really a good enough life for an A/C compressor anyway and just replaced it for about $350 including evacuation and charge. After that I might as well get the A/C dryer and lines out of the way of passenger valve cover, so that part was made easier by that screw up.

Then I didn't have my new high volume Melling racing oil pump seated correctly before torqing the bolts down and busted the housing on it. Bondo was just NOT going to fix it. Take a peak at this: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/there-g...0/#post5358445 That laid waste to another $160.00 plus tax, but luckily a local O'Riley's had another one IN STOCK, and my credit card was still good - at that time!

On a more positive/serious note though, there are a BUNCH of really nice guys on here that are knowledgable, have personal experience, and very generous in offering guidance, tips, cautions, how to's -- and relevant documentation when needed --- anytime you get ready to tackle the job. If you still have butterflys in the stomach, this thread by @adrianjwalsh is a good read starting about here:https://www.f150forum.com/f4/tension...4/#post5282533 . With our help, he made it through the job just fine.

All of us are going to be recomending you remove the oil pan and clean pickup tube, use OEM Phasers, metal ratcheting tensioners, and install a high volume oil pump as part of your parts list.

Good LUCK
Old 06-19-2017, 12:40 AM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

You got this. Just RTFM a couple times and don't get in a hurry. With new chains, timing is pretty easy. Two black links on top, one black link on the bottom. Make sure you have your right & left on the proper sides (but it will still run as long as you get both cams wrong).

Putting all the rockers back in was a tedious pain in the ****, but went quick enough.

Black RTV is your friend.

Don't leave any rags in it.

Last edited by Eric Kleven; 06-19-2017 at 12:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tommy J (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 07:43 AM

Well --- first thing, laying on my back under the damn thing (can't see s@%#t) trying to get the A/C compressor off, I loosened the wrong bolts and broke the seal on the A/C compressor! Then after bumping my head tryin' to get outa' the way, wiping the freon out of my eyes and off my glasses and getting a flash light under there, I found the three bolts that actually holds the damn thing to the block. So I rationalized that 212,000 miles was really a good enough life for an A/C compressor anyway and just replaced it for about $350 including evacuation and charge. After that I might as well get the A/C dryer and lines out of the way of passenger valve cover, so that part was made easier by that screw up.

Then I didn't have my new high volume Melling racing oil pump seated correctly before torqing the bolts down and busted the housing on it. Bondo was just NOT going to fix it. Take a peak at this: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/there-g...0/#post5358445 That laid waste to another $160.00 plus tax, but luckily a local O'Riley's had another one IN STOCK, and my credit card was still good - at that time!

On a more positive/serious note though, there are a BUNCH of really nice guys on here that are knowledgable, have personal experience, and very generous in offering guidance, tips, cautions, how to's -- and relevant documentation when needed --- anytime you get ready to tackle the job. If you still have butterflys in the stomach, this thread by @adrianjwalsh is a good read starting about here:https://www.f150forum.com/f4/tension...4/#post5282533 . With our help, he made it through the job just fine.

All of us are going to be recomending you remove the oil pan and clean pickup tube, use OEM Phasers, metal ratcheting tensioners, and install a high volume oil pump as part of your parts list.

Good LUCK
Hey, you brought it up so I had to ask. trust me I"ve made my share of mistakes. My wife usually leaves the premises when I'm under the truck. Already bought the oem phasers and was planning on the metal tensioners and oil pump. only downside is truck won't fit in garage so have to do it outside with good weather. Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:03 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey, you brought it up so I had to ask. trust me I"ve made my share of mistakes. My wife usually leaves the premises when I'm under the truck. Already bought the oem phasers and was planning on the metal tensioners and oil pump. only downside is truck won't fit in garage so have to do it outside with good weather. Thanks again for the feedback.
Making sure the timing is correct and having to do it outside is exactly what's scaring me too. And maybe making sure everything is connected back to where it should go. Wish I had a garage big enough to park into when I'll need to do the job
Old 06-19-2017, 08:36 AM

Good LUCK
Ok, read both forum topics and must confess I did laugh a little at the cracked oil pump comment, kind of like when you're golfing and your buddy duffs one and you just have to laugh even though its cruel. Seriously Its good to know someone else including you and redfish did this for the first time. still a little confused about importance of cam position. I just keep thinking just line up all colored links and good to go but I think I'm missing something. I will try to follow Fordtechmakuloco vid as close as possible. Anyway, thanks for the time and other forum articles.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by LariatDude
Making sure the timing is correct and having to do it outside is exactly what's scaring me too. And maybe making sure everything is connected back to where it should go. Wish I had a garage big enough to park into when I'll need to do the job
I know right and there will also be a point of no return also. I hate not grasping the concept of something like cam position and all the different tecniques. I'm not planning on doing anything I don't have to like removing the cams. the torques and sequences are already freaking me out. If my ford mech guy that works on the side wasn't so busy I would have had him do it by now and just paid the $1,000 . Good luck