Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winching

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 01:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Winching

Hey everyone,

I've been having a heck of a time trying to pick a good, front mount winch. I don't need anything too over the top. Primarily if I need to pull someone out of the ditch (snow, deep water etc) or if I'm on some of the logging road trails and need to pull myself out. I'm running 33" Duratracs on a 2012 5.0L Screw. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been looking at the waterproof smittybilt myself, it sits behind the stock bumper
Old 01-21-2015, 08:30 AM
LSU

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently installed my old Warn 9.5ti from my old Jeep Wrangler on a Rough Country F-150 hidden winch plate. Fits very nicely inside the front bumper with only the fairlead and hook visible. Took about an hour to install, not counting running wiring for in-cab control.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:01 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Rule of thumb is go for a winch that's 1 1/2 times the weight of truck meaning that if it weighs 6000lbs look for a winch rated for 9000lbs. The theory is that you have to pull the weight of the truck AND overcome whatever you're stuck in. Angles and steepness of terrain play into this also.

You can get around this kinda of using a lower rates winch using a 2/1 with ****** block but you lose cable length.

I would stay away from harbor freight stuff and unless doing serious off-road stay away from Warn. Go with the middle ground.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interested in this too. I have been contemplating the Rough Country hidden winch mount and going with one of the Warn VR series.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mercurytech
I recently installed my old Warn 9.5ti from my old Jeep Wrangler on a Rough Country F-150 hidden winch plate. Fits very nicely inside the front bumper with only the fairlead and hook visible. Took about an hour to install, not counting running wiring for in-cab control.
Was just wondering if you had any pics of this. Any clearance issues with the 9.5ti?
Old 01-21-2015, 10:16 AM

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by RES4CUE
unless doing serious off-road stay away from Warn. Go with the middle ground.
I disagree..

I recommend you go with the best you can afford since generally you only break it/find out it's broken when get stuck and really need it. I chose Warn for their great reputation for reliability.

If you always wheel in a group then not a big deal since you have help and a ride home.

When I was out solo exploring the open space of Utah in my Jeep I always had my warn M8000 and a Pull-Pal (since there were no trees). I have needed both on several occasions when they saved me from a 50+ mile trek back to civilization.

Last edited by frieed; 01-21-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by frieed
I disagree.. I recommend you go with the best you can afford since generally you only break it/find out it's broken when get stuck and really need it. I chose Warn for their great reputation for reliability. If you always wheel in a group then not a big deal since you have help and a ride home. When I was out solo exploring the open space of Utah in my Jeep I always had my warn M8000 and a Pull-Pal (since there were no trees). I have needed both on several occasions when they saved me from a 50+ mile trek back to civilization.
Well I would do weekly checks on my winch for operation but I don't think you need to drop a grand on a warn to pull people out of ditches and some light OFFROAD situations hence why I said unless you are going to be doing hardcore offroading.

There are several companies that are great out there right now, yes warn makes a great product with a reputation but you can have a similar rated winch with more features for much cheaper.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:24 PM

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

I just re-purposed my old Warn M8000 from my old truck. They've gotten tons cheaper in recent years, so if I had to do it over I'd probably go with one of the other cheaper brands.
I prefer the synthetic line myself though, since the steel cable rusts
Old 01-21-2015, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kytann
I just re-purposed my old Warn M8000 from my old truck. They've gotten tons cheaper in recent years, so if I had to do it over I'd probably go with one of the other cheaper brands. I prefer the synthetic line myself though, since the steel cable rusts
Yes to the synthetic line!

Quick Reply: Winching