Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start behavior

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 11:30 AM
fjc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start behavior

There have been a few threads about the Ford Factory remote start, and how on the 2010's the engine will shut off the second you open any of the doors.

I had posted that this was done on purpose by Ford, because of the new MyKey system. MyKey lets you program a key for a young driver, setting the maximum speed, radio volume level, etc. Apparently MyKey was bypassed if remote start was used, so Ford's solution was to have the engine shut off if the door was opened. This then forced the driver to start the engine with their key, picking up the MyKey settings.
From what I've read, apparently some dealers claim this behavior can't be changed. My dealer said, "No problem, bring it in." I took my 2010 in to my dealer yesterday morning to have this changed (Jack Demmer Ford in Michigan).

Their accessory guy told me, "I can keep MyKey working and just have it shut off the engine when you put the key into the ignition, or I can have it work like previous model years, where the engine keeps running and you just put your key in, turn it to ON, and go." I told him to do the latter so I wouldn't have to restart the engine. I was there maybe 15-20 minutes, and he was done.

Works like a champ. I originally figured it didn't matter much, but I like it working this way better. Now if I start the truck and walk out to it, I can open a door and get my scraper without having to restart the truck so that it keeps warming up/defrosting.

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know, in case you want to get yours changed.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:33 PM
blue blood

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the my key sees the chip in the key. so if you start it and it stays running my key sees the remote start chip not the kids key .so if you dont remote start it when the kid uses the truck my key works fine. so yes you can have both working.. i have programed many.and some kits still dont have that program yet.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:51 PM

What the...

I've been told by 2 different dealerships that there was no such thing as a factory remote starter! They both offered to get me an aftermarket remote starter... My order has been pulled, but they haven't started building it yet. I'm wondering if I should call the dealership back and request/demand that my remote starter be the Ford factory one...

Can anybody shed some lights on this apparent contradiction?
Old 12-09-2009, 02:11 AM
blue blood

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a 1 button remote start that thay install at the factory . the 2 way remote and the 6 butten alarm is dealer insall only the factory one is the same kit the dealer can install. so there is 3 kits some have my key programing some older built ones dont.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:12 AM
fjc

Originally Posted by d21581
What the...

I've been told by 2 different dealerships that there was no such thing as a factory remote starter! They both offered to get me an aftermarket remote starter... My order has been pulled, but they haven't started building it yet. I'm wondering if I should call the dealership back and request/demand that my remote starter be the Ford factory one...

Can anybody shed some lights on this apparent contradiction?
You can even add it on the online "Build a Vehicle" application on the Ford website. $300 or $350 MSRP option, if I recall.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I called the dealer and he confirmed that I was going to get a "non-Ford" aftermarket remote starter. He explained that for the price he had quoted me, he cannot put on the factory remote starter... I guess they're quit a bit more expansive... Hopefully I'll be happy with the one they'll get installed on my truck. I just wish they had told me about all the options right away instead of telling me factory remote starters weren't available anymore (even if it was just a one button option).
Old 12-09-2009, 11:46 AM

I never had any problem with my 2010 with the remote start. The only time the engine dies is if I try to put it in gear with out turning the ignition on.......Still would like to change the timing to fifteen minutes, though am not willing to try the instructions posted on another thread, I would screw it up.....
Old 12-09-2009, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by islander
I never had any problem with my 2010 with the remote start. The only time the engine dies is if I try to put it in gear with out turning the ignition on.......Still would like to change the timing to fifteen minutes, though am not willing to try the instructions posted on another thread, I would screw it up.....
islander, I have the Ford remote start with the 1 button fob, and I changed the run time to 15 min. It's very easy. I can post the instructions I used if you want. You just need access to the LED and overide button on the harness.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:17 PM
fjc

Originally Posted by XLTed
islander, I have the Ford remote start with the 1 button fob, and I changed the run time to 15 min. It's very easy. I can post the instructions I used if you want. You just need access to the LED and overide button on the harness.
I need to figure out where that button/LED are located - I want to change mine to not beep the horn when remote starting. I don't think my neighbors appreciate it at 5am.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by fjc
I need to figure out where that button/LED are located - I want to change mine to not beep the horn when remote starting. I don't think my neighbors appreciate it at 5am.

It depends on where your installer mounted the module. Mine was under the dash on the drivers side. The LED and button are connected to the wiring harness which plugs into the module. There is an option to disable the horn.

Quick Reply: Remote Start behavior