Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote start

Old 01-11-2016, 08:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Remote start

I'm wanting to install remote start on my 2014 Stx. Can anyone give me names of some good brands with pros and cons please? Thanks
Old 01-11-2016, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the Ford factory kit. All said and done, round about $300ish for kit, key cut, programming. You will end up with additional spare keys, its plug and play with no cutting of wires, and shouldn't void any parts of the warranty.
The following users liked this post:
Skoty422 (01-11-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 09:21 AM
New Guy

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Skoty422
I'm wanting to install remote start on my 2014 Stx. Can anyone give me names of some good brands with pros and cons please? Thanks
I just did this on my 2013 xlt, I went with a ford factory kit from eBay from Fariway Ford. I opted for the one key kit which was only $130 they have a 2 key kit for around $200 but who really needs two different keys with remote start, your original keys still do everything but remote start the truck. Anyways it shipped in a few days and was easy to install. One thing to check is if you have the hood switch already, most do, it's a plunger looking button on the drivers side fender under the hood
Old 01-11-2016, 09:23 AM
New Guy

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

You still have to get the key cut and get the remote start activated at a dealership, not sure what that'll cost you though, I got lucky and have a buddy at the ford garage that did both for me for a cold 30 pack
Skoty422 (01-11-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 09:41 AM

Thanks guys. I'm going to look into it now.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:47 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

My truck came with factory remote start and I was not at all impressed with it. The range of the remote being the biggest issue for me. My office is on a 3rd floor corner and I can look down and see my truck from there and could only get it to start about half the time. For some people the range isn't an issue, but it was for me.

Then over the summer of last year, my truck was broken into. Thankfully nothing stolen, but since they just broke a window and didn't open the door, the truck "alarm" never went off. No noises of any kind.

I ended up going with a Viper 5706V which has the 2 way communication remote. It is also USB rechargeable so no need to replace batteries in the future. It starts almost a full mile away (I've tested it) and will immediately let me know if anything is wrong or what the status of the alarm is. It even will show the temp inside the truck on the keyfob so on days like today where it was 29 degrees, I knew when it was fully warmed up inside before I took my 9 month old daughter outside to get in.
The following 2 users liked this post by TJPlatinumEB:
Pulli (02-11-2016), RES4CUE (01-11-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 09:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just did this last week. Went with the same one key kit from Fairway Ford. I had the key cut at a local locksmith, $4.00. I installed the kit, and programmed the key myself. I had to call around to a lot of dealerships to get one to work with me on the price for activation. They all quote around $100.00 to activate it in IDS system. I finally found a dealer that said he would only charge me for the actual time it took to do the job. Cost me $55.00 to get it activated. It really should only take them 30 minutes or less. Anyway, it works great. Totally happy with it. The final cost was under $200.00.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:57 AM

Where did you find the kit? I only see it for $245
Old 01-11-2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by TJPlatinumEB
My truck came with factory remote start and I was not at all impressed with it. The range of the remote being the biggest issue for me. My office is on a 3rd floor corner and I can look down and see my truck from there and could only get it to start about half the time. For some people the range isn't an issue, but it was for me.

Then over the summer of last year, my truck was broken into. Thankfully nothing stolen, but since they just broke a window and didn't open the door, the truck "alarm" never went off. No noises of any kind.

I ended up going with a Viper 5706V which has the 2 way communication remote. It is also USB rechargeable so no need to replace batteries in the future. It starts almost a full mile away (I've tested it) and will immediately let me know if anything is wrong or what the status of the alarm is. It even will show the temp inside the truck on the keyfob so on days like today where it was 29 degrees, I knew when it was fully warmed up inside before I took my 9 month old daughter outside to get in.
How much did install cost? Looks like some wire splicing will be needed for this install.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

How much did install cost? Looks like some wire splicing will be needed for this install.
They aren't cutting wires, but they are tapping into them. Lifetime warranty on installation from an authorized Viper installer. They will even take it out of the truck when I sell it and put it in the next one for $200 total in the future.

I paid $600 in total as I added an extra keyfob and siren as well. Base price including install was $525-$550 if memory serves.
RES4CUE (01-11-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote start