Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack is Crap

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:08 PM
She Likes It.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jack is Crap

So was out and about with my 2011 SCREW 5.0 and having a good time when the dash suddenly beeped and the low tire warning came up.

I pulled safely to the side of the road and proceeded to step out and evaluate the situation. I could hear immedidately the sound of a tire losing air.

By the time I was able to get the jack out of its storage the tire was flat to the ground.

Now understand, I'm on the side of the interstate, concrete, flat, no wind, very little traffic and I begin to change the tire. I place the jack according to the owners manual, begin cranking it up and proceed to remove the flat tire.

As I am putting the spare on I notice I dont have the vehicle high enough off the ground and see I need to crank the jack a few more turns.

I lay back down and start to put the length of handle back into the jack when I notice it is starting to collapse....to the side!!!!!

Im like WTF and try to crank it up anyway. I get it to crank up a few more turns and hurridly get the tire on as I can see the frame starting to settle towards the ground.

Luckily I was able to get the tire on the studs and a few nuts on before the weight of the truck settled back on the tire.

I try to remove the jack from under the truck but its so contored at this time that it will not crank down.

It actually collapsed sideways...the baseplate collapsed on the inside edge and the pivot points (where the threaded bolt goes thru) collapsed away from the wheel.

I had to drive the truck off the jack to get the jack back.

Sorry no pics, was too pissed to think straight.

I took it to the dealer on Saturday and showed the service rep, he shook his head and said go talk to the parts guy.

Went into the parts counter and he asked me what that was off of, I told him the F150 and he looked right at me and said that jack was too small for the F150.

I said no **** sherlock.

Long story short we went and looked at another one on the lot and it had the identical jack.

Story is not over yet, they ordered me another one but want to charge me 148 bucks for it.

More details as I get them, but I believe it should be a warranty item.

So be careful out there with the jacks Boys and Girls.

Regards,

NS

Last edited by NetStalker; 07-09-2012 at 01:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
XLT2012F-150 (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Yeah...I had a '04 lariat. 1 look at the jack and I went out and bought a really cheap floor jack. That I then transfered to my '10. I keep it in the toolbox in my bed. I have never trusted scissor jacks for this reason
Old 07-09-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also If you have any larger tires than stock size the jack will be too short to get a taller wheel on unless you have something to place the jack on top of
Old 07-09-2012, 01:47 PM
SilverBullet

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

i knew that jack was a p.o.s so i took it out of its compartment and store a defensive item in there now lol
Old 07-09-2012, 02:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

First replacement part I bought...decent bottle jack.

http://www.torinjacks.com/ProductLis...n=Type&Type=11
jlc41 (07-10-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I've used mine frequently with no problems. Two flat tires on the truck, several times readjusting the supersprings, and the one flat tire on the camper.

Wish you had better luck with yours.

Tim
Old 07-09-2012, 03:13 PM

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

The one on my 2006 is fine too, im leveled on 33's and it lifts it just fine. I used it on a friends dakota as well many times since he has no jack at his house. But no way would i pay that much for a replacement, go to the store and get a decent one.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:18 PM

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Sorry for your luck...

But.... wait for it... wait for it... c'mon...

You don't know jack.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
NetStalker (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Sarcastic Soul

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteDreamin
Sorry for your luck...

But.... wait for it... wait for it... c'mon...

You don't know jack.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Priceless! I was jut playing that ;&:^]# game last night. Lol.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad you started this thread. i haven't had any flats on the road in years. usually walk out to one while truck is in the driveway or i see a nail by accident when rotating tires or washing the truck.

a few trucks a go i did have that problem where the jack did not go high enough. put some boards under the seat.

gotta get a good bottle jack.

Quick Reply: Jack is Crap