Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blinker volume control?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Received 894 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Blinker volume control?

First off, I am unsure if any of you guys dislike the loud F-150 blinker or not, but it is the one thing on my truck that I absolutly hate. I know most of you will say "turn up the radio" like in other threads. Well, I am weird and don't like listening to the radio that much and hardly ever do so that rules that out. Others would say that I will get used to it, but after 8 months of owning the truck it still bugs the hell out of me. I also will not stop using my blinker regardless of how bad I hate it either like some posts have said.

I thought I was just going to have to live with it since it is a relay that is making the sound like in most vehicles and there is no way to turn it off. That was until I was backing out of my garage earlier today with my blinker on and I had a door open. As soon as I put the truck in reverse, the door open alarm started sounding and it completely turned off the noise of the blinker. I tried it with some other alarms and same thing, the blinker went completely silent when the alarms came on. This tells me two things. One, the blinker volume is somehow controled by the ECU. Two, if it is control by the ECU then the volume can also be adjusted some how.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed this? If you have noticed it then has anyone asked the dealership if they can lower the volume on it or done something to lower it themselves?

BTW, I have read post about this issue in the past and just about every other post was about how it is not a big deal and people should just get over it. Well, everyone is different and what bothers me may not bother you. So please only post if you have a valid solution on lowering the volume on the blinker and not a "get over it" solution. Besides, if this doesn't bother you then neither should this thread so why post about a non-issue. Thanks!

Last edited by Al Kohalic; 01-15-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Kohalic
First off, I am unsure if any of you guys dislike the loud F-150 blinker or not, but it is the one thing on my truck that I absolutly hate. I know most of you will say "turn up the radio" like in other threads. Well, I am weird and don't like listening to the radio that much and hardly ever do so that rules that out. Others would say that I will get used to it, but after 8 months of owning the truck it still bugs the hell out of me. I also will not stop using my blinker regardless of how bad I hate it either like some posts have said.

I thought I was just going to have to live with it since it is a relay that is making the sound like in most vehicles and there is no way to turn it off. That was until I was backing out of my garage earlier today with my blinker on and I had a door open. As soon as I put the truck in reverse, the door open alarm started sounding and it completely turned off the noise of the blinker. I tried it with some other alarms and same thing, the blinker went completely silent when the alarms came on. This tells me two things. One, the blinker volume is somehow controled by the ECU. Two, if it is control by the ECU then the volume can also be adjusted some how.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed this? If you have noticed it then has anyone asked the dealership if they can lower the volume on it or done something to lower it themselves?

BTW, I have read post about this issue in the past and just about every other post was about how it is not a big deal and people should just get over it. Well, everyone is different and what bothers me may not bother you. So please only post if you have a valid solution on lowering the volume on the blinker and not a "get over it" solution. Besides, if this doesn't bother you then neither should this thread so why post about a non-issue. Thanks!
+1
Old 01-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Bad Mofo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like a damn cuckoo clock ticking
Old 01-15-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id just gove the dealer a call and see
Old 01-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Received 894 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by jwill8957
Id just gove the dealer a call and see

I am tomorrow and I also emailed Ford as well. I will let you know what they say. I just wanted to know if anyone has already done this?
Old 01-15-2012, 09:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah keep us updatEd! Offtopic but has anyone done anything about the seatnelt charm? It comes on if i movey truck around in the driveway amd its a pain
Old 01-15-2012, 09:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jwill8957
Yeah keep us updatEd! Offtopic but has anyone done anything about the seatnelt charm? It comes on if i movey truck around in the driveway amd its a pain
Read your owner's manual. Specifically the portion on "Beltminder". It will tell you how to turn it off.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Kohalic
I am tomorrow and I also emailed Ford as well. I will let you know what they say. I just wanted to know if anyone has already done this?

From a Raptor site concerning the signals...

You are right the warning chimes are prioitized, but i don't think it plays through ACM (audio control module) all warning chimes are inputs sent to IPC (instrument panel) via network from other modules. I did look over wiring I think sounds play out of IPCbut I'm not 100%, if you do disable it will disable all warnings including hill decent chime SRS fault chime TCS fault chime basically all warning and fault chimes will be disabled.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:56 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

There is a thread, did you search, about clipping a wire to get rid of it.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally like the blinker. Much better than the cars in the 90's that had that really loud obnoxious ticking sound where it sounded like someone was flicking the plastic.

Quick Reply: Blinker volume control?