Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.73 E-Locker Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 10:48 AM
Weekend Warrior!

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Default 3.73 E-Locker Question

Good morning All,

I've managed to pick up a good deal on a 3.73 e-locker rear end to replace my 3.31. Since I use my truck a lot for towing around our small fifth-wheel, I'm looking forward to the better gear ratio.

However, since my truck didn't come from the factory with an e-locker, nor does there seem to be an unused harness under there for an e-locker, I need to wire one up. My plan is to just wire a momentary switch to the rear end for those moments when I need it locked.

Does anyone know what the input voltage & amps are for these rears? I'm guessing 12 volts, but ya never know.... I've searched the forum and couldn't find an answer.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-04-2018, 11:39 AM

Received 295 Likes on 207 Posts

Is your truck 4WD? If your switching gear ratios on a 4WD you have to swap the front as well.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:52 PM
Weekend Warrior!

Originally Posted by ModularFord
Is your truck 4WD? If your switching gear ratios on a 4WD you have to swap the front as well.
Negative--2WD.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:50 PM

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,725 Posts

With all the issues some have had with the elocker not letting go, I'm not sure I'd want to use a momentary switch. Fuse 68 in mine is the locker, 25A. There's a control module, but I don't think anything alters the 12v to the locker.
The following users liked this post:
Greg Owen (10-04-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 10:14 AM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

I don't know if the lockers get a full 12V or not, but I think there was some experimenting done to get them to stay locked @ higher speeds. Not sure what it involved, but might give you some insight.

I wouldn't use a momentary switch, just one more thing to worry about when you need the locker. Also, bouncing the switch on and off under throttle will shock load the locker and likely cause failure.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:01 PM
How's she goin' eh?

Received 588 Likes on 488 Posts

Why not find the harnesses and switch from a wrecked truck with it all and make it look factory? Proper parts and it’ll work the way it’s supposed to.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:27 PM
Weekend Warrior!

Originally Posted by M0RRIS
Why not find the harnesses and switch from a wrecked truck with it all and make it look factory? Proper parts and it’ll work the way it’s supposed to.
I've been looking. But that was just a quick search. Haven't been able to find an OEM dash switch for a 2WD, only 4WD. Again, only did a quick search. It'll be a bit before I get around to doing the swap. Just had the 3.73 rear end dropped off about an hour-and-a-half ago; and I'm on crutches and a walking boot for about another 4 weeks.

From what I can find, my 2010 XLT, 2WD, 145" WB, Extended Cab wasn't available with a 3.73. If anyone has any other links otherwise, I would greatly appreciate it...
Old 10-08-2018, 04:52 PM
Weekend Warrior!

Originally Posted by jp360cj
I don't know if the lockers get a full 12V or not, but I think there was some experimenting done to get them to stay locked @ higher speeds. Not sure what it involved, but might give you some insight.

I wouldn't use a momentary switch, just one more thing to worry about when you need the locker. Also, bouncing the switch on and off under throttle will shock load the locker and likely cause failure.
I hear ya. I have no intentions whatsoever of leaving them locked for normal driving, but at least "bypassing" the normal is possible, if I can't find an OEM switch and harness. And the last thing I would ever do is press the switch with the rear end already spinning. Bad news. I'm installing this rear mainly for the ratio for towing our camper, and the e-locker for those one or two moments a year. The truck is only a 2WD, so I definitely don't go 4-wheeling or off-roading with it. And through the eight years of winters here in the northeast, I haven't been stuck with it once, making me a cautious winter driver.

I had one moment when towing our 5th wheel camper through a campground where I had to stop on a short, steep knoll. I was a bit startled when I went to go again and my 3.31 started spinning just my left tire. It did finally grip after a couple seconds, but that's when I started to wish I had a locking rear.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Owen
I hear ya. I have no intentions whatsoever of leaving them locked for normal driving, but at least "bypassing" the normal is possible, if I can't find an OEM switch and harness. And the last thing I would ever do is press the switch with the rear end already spinning. Bad news. I'm installing this rear mainly for the ratio for towing our camper, and the e-locker for those one or two moments a year. The truck is only a 2WD, so I definitely don't go 4-wheeling or off-roading with it. And through the eight years of winters here in the northeast, I haven't been stuck with it once, making me a cautious winter driver.

I had one moment when towing our 5th wheel camper through a campground where I had to stop on a short, steep knoll. I was a bit startled when I went to go again and my 3.31 started spinning just my left tire. It did finally grip after a couple seconds, but that's when I started to wish I had a locking rear.
You probably wouldn't intentionally lock the rear under load, but it could easily happen by accident with a momentary switch. Do you really want to be holding switch down with one hand and driving with the other and pulling the camper? There is no benefit to the momentary switch over a regular on/off switch, but quite a few negatives.

As far as the switch, I know the 2011+ 2wd's had the e locker as an option and the switch was in the place as the 4wd switch (where you probably have a coin holder). Might be easiest to call a ford dealer and see if the part is available.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:31 AM
How's she goin' eh?

Received 588 Likes on 488 Posts

You’re correct. Others have added it and possibly used forscan. I’m not sure

Quick Reply: 3.73 E-Locker Question