Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 sony premium sound system

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2012 sony premium sound system

Hey guys i know this has probably been asked before but i cant find much about it anywhere. My question is relating to the new sony 700w sound system.

Is it just me or is it really just that terrible. The reason im wonder is i had a 2010 mazdaspeed 3 with the tech package and it had the 360w Bose system in it and it was more loud and clear than my new fords 700w system!.. now this is double the wattage output so you would think it would be much more chrisp and loud on the top end but its not... I find that when you get any more than 60% up the stereo automatically limits the treble and bass but its NOT EVEN loud you could have a conversation with someone beside you if the stereo was cranked up.

Now if this is all the system has is there anyways to get into the amp and maybe limit the bass and treble cut features when the volume goes up cause i know for sure the speakers can handle it cause they do not distort in the slightest when turned up all the way.. Im just really dissappointed cause i paid the extra money for this and am soo upset with how it sounds my 360w mazda stereo blew it out of the water.. Now i use to have a competition system made by mtx that i paid 14,000$ for and had over 10,000watts i do not want that anymore cause iv grown out of the head pounding thump but i do like to turn my music up and have it nice and loud and clear but i cant even do that.. anyone else in this boat what should i do.. get a JL audio clean sweep and upgrade the whole system.. cause if so there goes that extra money on the sony system for nothing
Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 PM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

I have it and it's most certainly better than the regular factory radio. My 06 fx4 with the audiophile had a much better stereo than this one.

But you are used to high end stereos so I don't know what to tell you that you wouldn't already know to fix it.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:54 PM

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

I think they really sound good for a factory system. The sub could use a little beefing up. It seems that is the weak link in the system. It sounds way better than the Bose in my wife's Nissan. I changed out the sub on mine, but the amp was too weak to drive it like it neede so I put the stocker back in.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:17 PM

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Systems have gone backwards, my 07 Mark LT system was really good for a stock system. No reason the new premium systems would not be as good or better.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:28 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I saved money with not getting the Sony system cuz I know how it performs and that for the money I could replace all components with aftermarket stuff and have a much higher quality.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I think Ford still has the mindset that only middle age guys buys trucks and anything will do. It's a shame that they can't get it right. Go ahead and upgrade not much else you can do.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:56 AM
THUNDER UP!

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

At first, I wasn't very impressed. However, I changed the setting today to +3, or +4 and noticed a huge improvement in bass (felt more like +10).

Still doesn't bump like a decent aftermarket system, but not awful like I first thought.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:06 AM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

It's murky and cloudy sounding and gives me listener's fatigue from the flat, mono speakers and the amp is way too underpowered. Also, after about half volume it really doesn't get any louder, it just flattens the sound further, especially when the sub picks up the DJ talking and I have to turn the bass down. The audiophile in the 04-08's kicked *** and sounded more like it appealed to my age group, the Sony is disappointing at best, even with a poly-filled sub. I have considered replacing the amp and sub to see where it goes. I want a clear, surround sound with a hard hitting sub....is that too much to ask? I'm willing to pay extra for it ford! I really am!

Ford should call up pioneer and take them out to lunch, set something up. Pioneer makes excellent car stereos IMO

Last edited by HCFX2013; 04-07-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah see i dunno what to say now, some of you are saying its pretty damn good for factory and others are saying its not good at all.. i know its a factory system and i expected that but when my 2010 speed3 360w system is more loud and clear than my new 700w system it got me worried.. Maybe mine just isnt right i think i might go to the dealer and see how the other ones sound just to make sure i didnt get a dud..

If not i think it looks like ill be getting the JL audio clean sweep so i can keep my nav an touch screen and upgrading the system. I dont want the huge boom anymore iv had 5 systems in my life that had that hard core boom..(old system hit 152db) so i dont need that i just want nice and loud and i can just have me my truck music and the open road on a nice day..

I always knew sony was garbage but i thought in a factory system claiming to have 700w it was like that all ill need! man was i worng
Old 04-07-2012, 08:39 AM

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a "stuffing sub woofer" mod on the forums here. Do the mod and turn bass and treble up to almost max. You will see the virtues of the system then.

I did the mod because I thought the sub was a bit weak. Now it makes the the truck rock

Quick Reply: 2012 sony premium sound system