Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Another Detailing thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 02:57 PM

Received 204 Likes on 154 Posts

Default Another Detailing thread

Looking for experiences and tips. Yesterday I decided to wash, clay bar and wax my F150.
Took about 4 hours to wax and clay bar. And I still have the hood, roof and glass to do. The truck has never been clayed or waxed since I bought it. It had tons of yellow specks on the hood and some on the fenders. Looks like maybe overspray from the factory. Maybe from painting another truck?
Truck info - Oxford White. 2013 with 15k miles on it. Bought new in March this year with 1600 miles on it.
The truck sits 90% of the time under a carport and I drive my co-truck.

Products used - Chemical guys clay bar (blue 'light') and blue spray lubricant.
Collinte 845 - loved it!!!
Dupli-Color Scratch Fix All in 1 - did not match my Oxford paint... Anyone else use this? The touch up paint was definitely darker.

The clay worked well and majority of the paint didn't need much rubbing to become extremely smooth. I know there's lots of factors, but to get the yellow and tiny black specks off my paint took probably 60-80 swipes with the clay with a lot of pressure to remove. The specks are the size of the tip of a toothpick. I tried removing them with my thumb nail but couldn't get them off. There's still quite a bit on my hood. Is there anything I should do differently? Maybe step up the clay bar to the medium or higher level? Is there anything I can wipe the body panels with before claying that might remove them?
Old 11-07-2014, 03:40 PM

Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts

I used a Nanoskin Autoscrub pad instead of claying and loved it.

YouTube or Google it, it's a great product. You will need a random orbit polisher. I bought a cheap one at Harbor Freight for about $50, worked fine.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:03 PM

Received 308 Likes on 247 Posts

Another vote for Nanoskin Autoscrub. I will never go back to a traditional clay bar again. I was able to clay my wife's '09 Camry SE in about 20mins. I'll be waiting until the spring time to clay mine.

http://www.autogeek.net/autoscrub-handy-towel.html

You may want to start with some Iron X.

http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-cleaner.html
Old 11-07-2014, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by BucketMan
I used a Nanoskin Autoscrub pad instead of claying and loved it. YouTube or Google it, it's a great product. You will need a random orbit polisher. I bought a cheap one at Harbor Freight for about $50, worked fine.
I will check that out thank you. I have always don't this work by hand. I had to this time, I didn't have much choice.... I'm in an apartment for the first time even though I own a home elsewhere. I have no access right now to plug an extension cord in.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:06 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

You might try a plastic razor blade or plastic putty knife. I had luck remove hard sap from a bald cyprus tree on a truck. Just be gentle at first. for obvious reason dont use metal. Next step would be to try a polish then compound if that doesnt work. I use Harbor Freight DA polisher and it works pretty good for me. I was able to remove about 90% of my swirls with it, one of their orange pads, and Meg ultimate polish.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:54 PM

Should I add polish in the mix with clay and wax? And if so, in which step should I apply it?

And I noticed one of my doors has water spots just now. Should I use a rag and water or polish?

Last edited by OilFieldCash; 11-07-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:19 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

That is rail dust or iron contamination for the atmosphere. Like someone else said CarPro Iron X will get that.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:22 PM

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

easy beginners guide--

I use Iron-X after the wash and before nano skin. Just a warning but detailing can become addictive.-- http://www.autogeek.net/exteriorcare.html Sign up for email alerts, they have sales all the time.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:27 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OilFieldCash
Should I add polish in the mix with clay and wax? And if so, in which step should I apply it?

And I noticed one of my doors has water spots just now. Should I use a rag and water or polish?
wash, clay,iron X if you want,(wash again) polish or compound then wax/ sealant.
Water spots may come out with a light polish. Depending on how set in the clear they are you may need to compound. Always start with the least aggressive technique first which would be clay then polish then compounds and then wet sanding

Visit autogeek.net for some great tips, although some of those guys are very OCD about detailing you can get some great ideas. Larry with AMMONYC on youtube has some great videos.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:08 PM

Thanks guys will do!!!

Here's a pic of the Dupli-color I'm removing and rock chips.

Another Detailing thread-image-447534697.jpg

Quick Reply: Another Detailing thread