General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Push button start

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 02:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Push button start

Thinking about the concept of push-button start for the F-150, I've come to the conclusion it's a cheap way for Ford and other car companies to make money. Especially bundling it with other expensive options. Push-button start should be no more expensive or difficult to offer than a normal key start. The procedure is simple, use a push-button instead of the key switch. Both are simple switches. The key provides the security in one case and computer programming and the key fob the security in the case of push-button starting.

Furthermore, any vehicle could be retrofitted to allow push-button start. Just put an appropriate switch somewhere on the dash and wire it in parallel with the key switch. That wouldn't be very secure since anyone could start the thing, but easily done. It could also be done by interrupting the data stream from the remote starting the vehicle.

But both push-button and remote start are features that cost little to implement and can be bundled with other high-end features to make a large profit for automakers. Both likely cost less than $25.00 to implement. An updated key fob with a remote start button on it might cost an extra dollar or two. Neither uses any expensive components.

Any comments? Agree or disagree. Try not to get personal.
The following users liked this post:
TLJ2010 (06-28-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 04:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I think it's what goes along with the push button start that makes it expensive. To retain the security of the car many cars have the proximity sensors for the key, plus the chips in the keys that transmit the signal, the back up ignition switch (in case the push button fails) all add up. Automobile companies are in the business to make money and will charge you for every little thing.

Here is a push button switch I had on my old truck just for fun.
https://youtu.be/YRxP980L3rE

Last edited by dont slow down; 06-22-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Actually my estimate for the cost of the push button start includes the proximity sensors and the key and all the chips. Those things are really very cheap. And quite common. And have been around for decades. There is no new technology in the push button start.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:30 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Key word, estimate.

There's much more to it than just the switch. While I'm not positive I do believe there is a thread in the 2015 - Present section about retrofitting one in for those that don't have it. There's more to it than meets the eye..

Curious why you're singling out the push button start? It's called an option. There is no way of adding option packages that is going to please everyone.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:51 AM

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Guthrie
Actually my estimate for the cost of the push button start includes the proximity sensors and the key and all the chips. Those things are really very cheap. And quite common. And have been around for decades. There is no new technology in the push button start.
Was quoted a 500.00 price to fix a push button fob issue

I like keys
The following 2 users liked this post by szym:
rmc63 (07-01-2019), wizwor (07-05-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 10:59 AM

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

The true cost of a part is not a linear relationship to the customers cost. It depends what the item is. Many manufactures of all kinds of products have different power levels of a product. Even if every part number is exactly the same, only difference being a software package. So for the OEM, the cost is no different in the different ranges, but the cost difference could be thousands, or tens of thousands of dollars to the end user.

You want perceived quality higher, but argue that the cost is the same. How can they charge extra for push button start if they all got it? It's a novelty, or a perk, not a necessity. And it's one that a lot of people are happy to pay for. It's how business works.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:10 AM

Received 4,777 Likes on 2,819 Posts

Thinking about the concept of push-button start for the F-150, I've come to the conclusion it's a cheap way for Ford and other car companies to make money. Especially bundling it with other expensive options. Push-button start should be no more expensive or difficult to offer than a normal key start. The procedure is simple, use a push-button instead of the key switch. Both are simple switches. The key provides the security in one case and computer programming and the key fob the security in the case of push-button starting.

Furthermore, any vehicle could be retrofitted to allow push-button start. Just put an appropriate switch somewhere on the dash and wire it in parallel with the key switch. That wouldn't be very secure since anyone could start the thing, but easily done. It could also be done by interrupting the data stream from the remote starting the vehicle.

But both push-button and remote start are features that cost little to implement and can be bundled with other high-end features to make a large profit for automakers. Both likely cost less than $25.00 to implement. An updated key fob with a remote start button on it might cost an extra dollar or two. Neither uses any expensive components.

I'd be more interested in your opinion if you had experience retrofitting vehicles to have fully functional push button start with proximity entry.

Because, you know, there's a lot more to it than pushing a button vs turning a key.

I get the feeling you haven't driven a vehicle with push button start and intelligent/proximity access.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:01 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

There are federal laws governing how the power windows are allowed to work, or not. How many do you think there are regarding how a vehicle (which is titled chattel, and insured, and registered, and licensed, and taxed, and the deadliest machine man has yet created by a WIDE margin over guns & nuclear weapons combined) can be started? You seem to think that vehicles work the way they did in the 90s - back when they could be hotwired, or the ignition cylinder broken with a wrench & the vehicle driven away with everything operational.

THEY'RE NOT.

Yes, I could add a pushbutton start system to my truck without much cost or effort, and it would be at least as secure as the factory key. Anything newer... Not so much.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:31 AM

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

How would you deal with the physical locking of the wheel from turning? When you turn the key it moves a pin and lets the steering wheel turn. Additional security...
Old 07-01-2019, 02:53 PM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

OP, I get what you are saying. However, the systems in place today are much more complicated than you seem to realize.
Beyond cost of materials, adding a machine or person to install all these components to the assembly line, and the engineering....it all adds up.
Then, you have to add profit to it.

After all that, the marketing department has [correctly] learned that it is a highly desirable option that will propel some to select a higher trim model to get it....so the that gets factored in too.

It's like the LED headlights. LED chips are nearly free in the quantities that Ford buys, but they will cost you quite a bit to get the them. It's a similar relationship in cost/marketing.

Fortunately for you, things do become standard after a while....so maybe that button will become a standard feature in your lifetime. Backup cameras were once optional...so were disc brakes, power brakes, power steering, am/fm radio, air conditioning, airbags, etc....

Quick Reply: Push button start