General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edge evolution

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 12:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Edge evolution

Ive been looking into the thought of buying an edge evolution programer for the truck, the thing is the only ones I have seen that will fit my truck is the edge cs and edge cts. I was looking at the original edge evolution and was wondering if it would fit the truck. Its a 1998 f150 4.6
Old 01-20-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Edge has moved from the monochrome Evolution, to the CS, CTS, and added the Evo HT as their flash tuner. Your best bet on finding a monochrome Evo is either someone who still has a new one still in stock or finding a used one.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got mine - read below and save some money

I just installed my Evolution CS today. My main goal was to program my 09' for economy driving, since I do quite a bit of driving around town. It's still too early to tell what sort of difference its gonna make, but tonights driving seemed promising. Though I'm not sure yet if I was just extra light on the pedal or if it was the tune. Time will tell. Anyway, back on topic. I never looked at the original Evolution (mainly because it won't work for my truck), but through all my research I found quite a few people mentioning that there have been a lot of problems with the cables for the original Evolutions. I'm not sure what they cost, but keep that in mind when while you are looking. Also, normally the Edge Evolution CS Gas runs $440 or so, but I got mine brand new for $350 from THMotorsports.com with free shipping (http://thmotorsports.com/i-390236.as...ingSeanVehSpec). It is listed at $362.18. I found a coupon code that gave me an additional $12 bucks off (type in 'edge' in the coupon field). So basically you get $90 off normal pricing.

Before you purchase consider the following....Normally THMotorsports does not accept returns on electronics after they are opened. My concern with returns was because of sketchy documentation with regards to support of the 2009 and 2010 models. In the end I emailed THMotorsports and asked them to clarify their return policy. I was told the same thing, that they don't accept returns on 'used' (opened) electronics, but the 'assured' me that it would work with my truck. I replied with the following:

"Thanks for your quick response. I hope you can appreciate my point of view here. I would assume I'm not the only person who has this concern. You have instilled more confidence in me for sure, but I'm still reluctant to jump in and buy this thing. It seems even though you are assuring me that it will work, that you guys are willing to take no responsibility if your 'reassurance' turns out to be incorrect and your customer purchases a wrong product because of your fault. What sort of 'customer services' do you guys provide? In what instances or situations are your customers protected?"

A short time later they replied again explaining why they don't typically accept returns on electronics, but they said that they would go the extra mile and 'eat the cost' if I had a compatibility issue. So I have an email to backup my return if I had any issues. Luckily I didn't and the programmer works fine as they said. In the end, I saved $90 and received my programmer the next day (free shipping). You might consider looking at the CS since these guys offer it for so much less. It is legit. I believe the CS works all the way back to 97' so you shouldn't have a compatibility issue (don't take my word for it, verify first), but if you want to back yourself up send them an email and do something similar to what I did. Hopefully this is useful to you, and if not to you to someone else who stumbles upon this forum.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thats really good info, and after doing a lot more research I have desided to go with the CS. Its funny how you mentioned THMotorsports because I just called them yesterday to ask a few questions about the CS tuner. Looks like Im going to be placing my order with in the next week or two...

Thanks for the great info.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:59 PM

Just figured I would give an update. Had the economy tune on for a few weeks. For the most part I've just trusted the computer to give me semi-accurate MPG readings up to this point, however I just started paying attention to the mileage coach and the two were WAY off. The mileage coach was telling me I was getting 19MPGs (awesome) while the stock computer was saying 15ish. Well, they were both wrong, sorta. I know this isn't completely accurate either, but I took my miles (no topping off) and divided by my filled gallons and I was getting 13.7 (with the economy tune-quite a bit of stop and go driving). I decided to change the air filter because I've never done it before (I bought the truck used 6 months ago). Immediately I notice my AMPG (average MPG-which wasn't accurate in the first place) drop drastically on the edge monitor. It was now below the stock computer. I took a 90ish mile highway drive and got 16.5ish. I decided to change it back to stock and ended up getting around 15.6MPG mixed city/highway (the same fill and measure method). I ran that for a bit and then decided to go back to economy just for kicks. Again, I noticed it drop greatly, so I switched back to stock again. I'll probably be staying there for a while, we'll see what summer brings. I read somewhere about someone saying the economy tune can actually cause worse mileage due to the reduced power. This may be the case for me, however some people swear by them.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:02 AM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Interesting..... Thanks for posting.

Have you looked into a little more custom tunes for your CS?
Had seen where PHP (Power Hungry Performance) can write tunes for the Edge Tuners, while looking into buying one myself.

I dont have the background to be able to compare to Mike at 5 star (which I hear good things about) but you already have the device... maybe a more specific tune would help.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by ABN Panzer
Interesting..... Thanks for posting.

Have you looked into a little more custom tunes for your CS?
Had seen where PHP (Power Hungry Performance) can write tunes for the Edge Tuners, while looking into buying one myself.

I dont have the background to be able to compare to Mike at 5 star (which I hear good things about) but you already have the device... maybe a more specific tune would help.
I've browsed the site, but haven't done much else with PHP yet. I've read that their custom tunes are much better, but I haven't taken the plung yet. That may be my next step. From what I read/undersood (which might be wrong) they wipe the firmware on the programmer and replace it with something completely different. Do you know if this is true? I'm just wondering if it is possible to get back to the factory settings after the custom tunes are added. (Don't know why I would need to, I just thought it would be nice to know)

Last edited by LiveFreeClimbHard; 02-20-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by LiveFreeClimbHard
Just figured I would give an update. Had the economy tune on for a few weeks. For the most part I've just trusted the computer to give me semi-accurate MPG readings up to this point, however I just started paying attention to the mileage coach and the two were WAY off. The mileage coach was telling me I was getting 19MPGs (awesome) while the stock computer was saying 15ish. Well, they were both wrong, sorta. I know this isn't completely accurate either, but I took my miles (no topping off) and divided by my filled gallons and I was getting 13.7 (with the economy tune-quite a bit of stop and go driving). I decided to change the air filter because I've never done it before (I bought the truck used 6 months ago). Immediately I notice my AMPG (average MPG-which wasn't accurate in the first place) drop drastically on the edge monitor. It was now below the stock computer. I took a 90ish mile highway drive and got 16.5ish. I decided to change it back to stock and ended up getting around 15.6MPG mixed city/highway (the same fill and measure method). I ran that for a bit and then decided to go back to economy just for kicks. Again, I noticed it drop greatly, so I switched back to stock again. I'll probably be staying there for a while, we'll see what summer brings. I read somewhere about someone saying the economy tune can actually cause worse mileage due to the reduced power. This may be the case for me, however some people swear by them.
I run the race tune on mine to get the best mileage. At 55-65 I can get 18-22 depending on how bad traffic is. I live in Chicago so it differs but over all it gives the best millage if you stay out of the gas
Old 02-27-2015, 11:07 AM

Received 224 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbush0627

I run the race tune on mine to get the best mileage. At 55-65 I can get 18-22 depending on how bad traffic is. I live in Chicago so it differs but over all it gives the best millage if you stay out of the gas
I'm in Chicago, as well. Was the race tune on 87 or 93? Also, did you switch to gryphon?

Quick Reply: Edge evolution