Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Ramp for changing oil, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 08:32 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Auto Ramp for changing oil, etc.

How many use auto ramps to raise the front of the truck to do oil changes?

I used to do that, but when I did my first oil change on my 2010 F-150, I crawled under the truck without raising it. It was a tight fit, so this time I took some paver stones from the garden and stacked them on the driveway, put the truck in 4X4 Low and drove up the "ramp". It provided just enough extra clearance to make the oil change much easier.

Of course this would be a waste of time for y'all who have lifted your trucks high enough to walk under them. Also not good for those who have lowered trucks where the air dam drags on the pavement.

Last edited by SailorDon; 01-01-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't like drive on ramps or cinder blocks always seem like a disaster waiting to happen.

For the cars, I use jack stands.

Was able to reach under my 2WD Ranger and do the oil and filter w/out raising it but had to do the filter by feel - so the 150 shouldn't be any more difficult w/out lifting it.

Paver stones you got there are probably safe enough and raise it just enough.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:33 PM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Rotax
Was able to reach under my 2WD Ranger and do the oil and filter w/out raising it but had to do the filter by feel - so the 150 shouldn't be any more difficult w/out lifting it.
That's funny.... you aparently havent tried to change the oil in a 2010 + F150...

Back to OP. I have a set of the ramps picked up at WALMART when they were on sale. Makes it a lot easier to get in under the air-dam... but 1st time I had too much of a lift and the useless oil-catching bowl-thingie pored all the oil out the back side. My fault, i know.

Last edited by ABN Panzer; 01-01-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ABN Panzer
That's funny.... you aparently havent tried to change the oil in a 2010 + F150...
That's right. I heard the filter was on too tight from the factory so I let the dealer do the first oil change and then the second because I got lazy and their price is near enough to what it would cost for me to buy the oil and filter to do it myself.

But looking at it I'm sure I could get the filter from the top easy enough (4.6) and the drain plug shouldn't be a problem to reach.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:17 AM
06 f150 larait

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have 2" blocks in the front of mine so i just slide right under on my creeper. dont evin have to take my hat off.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Mark

Received 2,420 Likes on 2,119 Posts

I use ramps...they work GR8. You had to use 4WD to get up on your cinder blocks ?? lol
Old 01-02-2012, 09:58 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I use jackstands when I change my oil. But I haven't been doing that lately at all as I've been letting the dealership (gasp) change my oil while the truck is under warranty.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:19 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by ABN Panzer

Back to OP. I have a set of the ramps picked up at WALMART when they were on sale. Makes it a lot easier to get in under the air-dam... but 1st time I had too much of a lift and the useless oil-catching bowl-thingie pored all the oil out the back side. My fault, i know.
Helpful hint on the newer truck filter change. loosen the filter just enough to start it draining slowley then go do something else for 15 mins. when you get back you can remove near empty filter and oil wont run every where. These new Fords are aroyal pain to change and with the on line coupons and dealer discounts it aint worth the hassel to me I always check the work first thing when I get home but the garage floor stays a lot cleaner.Bubbabud
Old 01-02-2012, 12:06 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
You had to use 4WD to get up on your cinder blocks ?? lol
I probably could have done it with 2WD, but you don't get the extra low creeping speed (like you could get with the "granny" gear option on the old manual transmissions). Slow is better for more control and prevents driving off (overshooting) the other side of the paver stones.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:10 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

I have a set of folding ramps for loading an ATV in the bed, they are oil changing ramps when all folded up. I also installed a fumoto valve, works awesome.

Quick Reply: Auto Ramp for changing oil, etc.