Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Timing chain, front end replacements

Old 09-28-2017, 01:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Timing chain, front end replacements

Hi guys, new to the forum and looking for a little advice.

I have a 07 f150. I am looking at changing out the timing chain and all associated parts. The one thing I am wondering is this. If I change out the timing stuff. Should I change out the Cam Phasers as well?

Currently I hear a Marbles-in-a-coffee-can sound only on slow accelerations through a drive-through or against a wall. And only at low RPM. Once RPM is up the sound dissapears. (thus my thinking a time chain)

I do not have any codes showing up on the dash. With that being said again, Should I change the Phasers aswell?

The truck has 203,000 KM on it and is used mostly as my weekend driver. I dont do any trailer hauling or carrying heavy loads.

I know I SHOULD change them based on the fact I'm in the engine at the time. But I'm low on funds right now and I'd rather not change a perfectly working part if I don't need to.

Thoughts?
Old 09-30-2017, 09:43 AM
LightningRod

Received 640 Likes on 513 Posts

Come on all you good seasoned members out there - lets give this new member some sound advice.

I have suggested to the OP that if he has NO timing codes, his Phasers have to be functioning - thus if he replaces everything under the TC (including Oil pump), he could defer replacing Phasers for now. They could be done later by removing only Valve Covers and using the wedge tool.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:00 PM

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

Cam Phasers and soleniods are common problems on these engines, i would replace them while you are in there.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:41 PM

At this point I think I'll do a complete swap off timing chain parts, Solonoids.
A little apprehensive about doing the phasers at this point as I have no codes showing up on the dash. I don't want to go spending money on parts that aren't causing a problem yet.
Likely easier to get it all done then to go back for something that wasn't done the first time. But I'm cost limited at this point, thus doing the work myself and wondering about the necessity of doing the phasers with no codes.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:59 PM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

Check this:

-Hot Engine
-un-plug the phaser solenoids
start the engine: if your phasers aren't clunking, they're still good

I'd still change them while you're in there. check Freedom Racing, theirs are pretty solid and cost less than the OEM units. DEFINITELY use the Motorcraft solenoids, & get metal 2v tensioners.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Kleven
Check this:

-Hot Engine

I'd still change them while you're in there. check Freedom Racing, theirs are pretty solid and cost less than the OEM units. DEFINITELY use the Motorcraft solenoids, & get metal 2v tensioners.
This may sound like a stupid question, but When unplugging the Phaser solonoids, do I unplug them while the engine is still running after being hot or unplug them first then start the engine?
Old 10-09-2017, 01:18 PM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

unplug with the engine off, try not to give your computer any extra reasons to have convulsions.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:05 PM

Okay so one question that is weighing on my mind as I collect parts and dollars for this job is this.

Of the guys that have done the repairs on this issue. how many have of you have had to go back into the engine weeks or months later due to failed parts or what ever??

I guess my biggest concern is that I spend all this time doing the job, which I don't have an issue with, but I just don't want to have to do it all again for at least several years.....or ever.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:58 PM
LightningRod

Received 640 Likes on 513 Posts

I know there have been some, but not very many compared to those that seem very pleased with post timing job performance. I know some of those who have gone back in - would not have had to but for lingering 'stupid' little mistakes (like crossed vacuum lines or poor electrical connections, etc) that have overtaken their confidence in doing the job right. In other words, they would not have HAD to tear down and retime had they known. Just make double-dog sure timing is correct as it cannot be verified after reassembly and turning the engine over even one revolution.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Kleven
Check this:

-Hot Engine

I took a free moment this weekend to fiddle with the Phaser solenoids and unplugged them after the engine was hot.
had the truck next to a fence so I could hear the sound of the engine revving at the 900-1200 RMP area. Which is the only time I hear the rattling sound.

After the Solenoids were unplugged I couldn't hear the rattling marbles in the coffee can sound.
Turned the engine off and plugged them back in, and there was the noise again. Turned the engine off and unplugged and no noise. same thing one more time to plug in and noise was there again.

Probably a normal happening from me plugging and unplugging the solenoids, but now I'v got the check engine light on. My guess is it will go off if I take it to the shop and have them clear the code. As there was no light on before I started playing with the solenoids.

SO question. Can I drive around with the solenoids unplugged to do a longer test? My understanding is that ith the solenoids lugged in their job is to control the little oil spirts that go to all the engine parts, but with them unplugged they get a continuous flow. (I could have misunderstood this point.) I'd like to try and drive around just a bit to see just how different it is for a few miles. Is there any harm in short term tesr driving?

Last edited by ElCarnicero; 10-16-2017 at 11:09 AM. Reason: added a question

Search this Thread