Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Throttle body is hanging up

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle body is hanging up

Trying to clean up a 1995 f150 5.0 that I bought. I was shocked to find that there was no air filter. I decided to clean the throttle body. It was bad. Big chunks of carbon or some kind of black crap was coming out. I may have gotten a little too aggressive. Now when I press the accelerator, it doesn't go all the way back to the idle stop. It hands up around 1500 RPMs.I can push it back. I'm wondering if I damaged it, or if the butterfly is gummed up with some of the gue I loosed up. Should I take it off and clean it better, or is it screwed? thanks
Old 02-24-2022, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,308 Likes on 2,924 Posts

i would give it a good cleaning again and lubricate the spring a little bit if you are able
The following users liked this post:
mr.Farnsworth (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 04:02 PM

thanks, I did lube the cable/spring. I think I'm going to order a gasket and take it off.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:51 PM

Could it be that the computer has to learn a new butterfly setting for idle now that it is getting more air?
Old 02-24-2022, 08:11 PM

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Did you see the label on the TB saying "DO NOT CLEAN"? Look near the center of this pic:

(click this text)

Ford calls it "sludge-tolerant", which means that grime wasn't hurting anything until you messed with it. Now, it's gonna need a lot more work than if you had left it alone.

Last edited by Steve83; 02-25-2022 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2022, 09:15 PM

Thanks, its running good now. Better than before I cleaned it. I guess the butterfly needed to free up. I disagree that the grime wan't hurting anything. I have better idle. Less hesitation on acceleration. Hopping my horrific gas mileage will improve. Good clean used throttle bodies are plentiful and cheap around here. So, I wasn't planning on doing any work to it. I thought cleaning it was worth a shot before replacing it..
Old 02-25-2022, 07:17 PM

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.Farnsworth
I disagree that the grime wan't hurting anything.
You realize you're disagreeing with Ford, right? Not me. You're always entitled to your opinion, but I think they know more about the vehicles, engines, & throttle bodies that they designed & built than you or I.
Old 02-25-2022, 07:35 PM

Do a search Guru, you will find hundreds people disagreeing with FORD, and with excellent results. This includes professional Ford mechanics. Truck runs like crap, guy cleans grim and trucks runs great - hard to argue with results. No F-ing thing as sludge tolerant Guru. Keep your motor clean.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:29 AM

Received 1,188 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.Farnsworth
Thanks, its running good now. Better than before I cleaned it. I guess the butterfly needed to free up. I disagree that the grime wan't hurting anything. I have better idle. Less hesitation on acceleration. Hopping my horrific gas mileage will improve. Good clean used throttle bodies are plentiful and cheap around here. So, I wasn't planning on doing any work to it. I thought cleaning it was worth a shot before replacing it..
have you done plugs yet?

By sounds of your initial findings (ex No air filter) I’d assume it had horrible maint history all the way around. Also sounds like you’re making good progress.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:54 AM

Yes, plugs, cap, wires, coil ( it fell apart when I took off the wire), air idle control valve was missing - put one in, new pcv valve, packed dry bearings, rebuilt steering box, oil and rear diff, new carpet and headliner, rebuilt the front seat, new widow regulator and motor, drop springs and shocks front shackles and shocks rear, doing hangers next week. Pioneer premiere with JBL speakers and sub, did new paint and a lot of body work in my garage.
Its coming along. Was having a hard shift 1st and 2nd and a little hesitation in 2nd. Cleaning the TB seems to have helped that - I need more time to drive it. I should have replaced the TPS when I had the TB out. I may do a shift kit. A friend is going to come over with his fancy code reader, but we just haven't had a chance yet.. Thanks for asking!

Quick Reply: Throttle body is hanging up