Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

AC Smells?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 10:29 AM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Default AC Smells?

Vehicle: 2016 F150 Screw

After running my AC full all summer in Texas, I am starting to get a moldy smell when I turn on the engine. What is the best way to deal with it?

i found this online:
Old 10-07-2018, 11:59 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Turn the A/C off a few minutes before you turn the truck off, so the moisture can dry off the evaporator core. There are also sprays available to kill mold, and reduce odors. But none of that will work if the truck is just dirty inside (like from pet hair & dander, cigarette smoke, or air pollution). At worst, the dash may have to be removed to wash the evaporator. Does the truck have a cabin filter? Is it (over)due to be changed?
The following users liked this post:
UncleFester (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 12:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, if you use the air conditioner on "Max" or recirculation constantly, it will not allow moisture to escape. Be sure to run it in fresh air mode, that allows air from the outside to mix with the conditioned air. This will likely solve the issue. The owners manual will specify this as well.
UncleFester (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 01:24 PM

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Lysol spray, thru cowl and foot area on passenger side. Kills the bacteria that creates the smell and mold.
UncleFester (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 03:44 PM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve83
Turn the A/C off a few minutes before you turn the truck off, so the moisture can dry off the evaporator core. There are also sprays available to kill mold, and reduce odors. But none of that will work if the truck is just dirty inside (like from pet hair & dander, cigarette smoke, or air pollution). At worst, the dash may have to be removed to wash the evaporator. Does the truck have a cabin filter? Is it (over)due to be changed?
Thanks. I’ll try to do that with the A/C.

My wife makes fun of me because I keep the interior of the truck cleaner than our house. No food, no drinks, and no garbage laying around. You are definitely right about the cabin air filter. Because of allergies and dust in our area, I change mine every 6 months despite the monumental PITA Ford designed into the process.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:01 PM

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleFester

Thanks. I’ll try to do that with the A/C.

My wife makes fun of me because I keep the interior of the truck cleaner than our house. No food, no drinks, and no garbage laying around. You are definitely right about the cabin air filter. Because of allergies and dust in our area, I change mine every 6 months despite the monumental PITA Ford designed into the process.
excellent advice, but that won't kill what's there and there is no need to remove dash. Lots of posts on this, in seconds you can have a fresh smelling car!
Old 10-07-2018, 04:38 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Lysol sprayed my truck last year or year before and it still smells normal.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:48 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by preflight66
Also, if you use the air conditioner on "Max" or recirculation constantly, it will not allow moisture to escape. Be sure to run it in fresh air mode, that allows air from the outside to mix with the conditioned air.
That's 100% wrong. Bringing fresh air in brings fresh moisture in. Recirculating keeps the dried air (the moisture drips out onto the ground from the evaporator drain) inside, and keeps the vehicle dry.

Quick Reply: AC Smells?