Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration while decelerating

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 538 Likes on 398 Posts

Default Vibration while decelerating

Anyone know what would cause a vibration when decelerating. It feels like I have knobby off road tires on the truck when on a perfectly smooth road. If I accelerate the vibration goes away.

It's most predominant between 50 mph - 40 mph.

Dealer checked U-Joint bolts and they were to spec, but only had an apprentice who just wasted my day and time. Told me to come back in the week when they have journeymen. I worked doubles in the week so that's a no can do when a rental car will have to be returned. I scheduled with dealer so it's was on them to have a Journeyman when I was waiting on the truck, not my fault. Not sure I'll go back to them as free time is rare and my time is money literally.

So if I go back or find another dealer, I would like to have a heads up on this to get it corrected the first time and not waste anymore time on this issue.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

While coasting or braking? If while braking then probably warped rotors
Old 09-11-2016, 01:42 PM

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Up
Anyone know what would cause a vibration when decelerating. It feels like I have knobby off road tires on the truck when on a perfectly smooth road. If I accelerate the vibration goes away.

It's most predominant between 50 mph - 40 mph.

Dealer checked U-Joint bolts and they were to spec, but only had an apprentice who just wasted my day and time. Told me to come back in the week when they have journeymen. I worked doubles in the week so that's a no can do when a rental car will have to be returned. I scheduled with dealer so it's was on them to have a Journeyman when I was waiting on the truck, not my fault. Not sure I'll go back to them as free time is rare and my time is money literally.

So if I go back or find another dealer, I would like to have a heads up on this to get it corrected the first time and not waste anymore time on this issue.

Thanks for the help.
I'm experiencing the exact same thing. The vibration is definitely driveshaft related. It's a high frequency vibration that I can feel mostly in the steering wheel, but also can be felt in the centre console. There is a low frequency rumbling sound that accompanies the vibration.

Mine vibrates when coasting, especially when under a reverse load. If I feather the gas pedal, it goes away. Shifting to neutral does not change the vibration at all.

I've had my truck to the dealer a few times and I'm getting very frustrated. They even had a ford rep with an analyzer machine look at it and it didn't pick up any vibration (so they say). But, I can feel it as plain as day each time I drive the truck. Its definitely affecting my overall enjoyment of my new truck.
The following users liked this post:
carye7nash (06-26-2023)
Old 09-11-2016, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess its a day for vibrations.. i just posted on my vibration. It is happening to me between 50-60 after letting off of the accelerator and coasting. It seems to go away below 50.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:33 PM

Received 3,522 Likes on 1,689 Posts

I always go with (check) the tires first. I've had a few go bad over the years and do weird things.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:46 PM

I had my tires road force balanced and they were near perfect apparently. But in my case, I know its not the tires. The frequency of vibration is much higher than the rotation of the wheels. Definitely driveshaft related on my truck.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:50 PM

Received 149 Likes on 119 Posts

On my phone or I would post the link. Search for shudder from stop might be the same issue. He has the long bed too and they have a 2 piece drive shaft that's the culprit. Check out the videos and see if it's a similar thing.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:56 PM

My truck, and the OP's (I assume) are a one piece aluminum driveshaft.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:00 AM

Thanks everyone. The vibration just started not long after the first oil change. Since I have the 5.5' bed, it's likely the 1 piece drive shaft.

Don't think it's wheels or tires since the vibration goes away when accelerating. Seems to be the vibration is from something that's not tight since acceleration puts torque on it and forces parts to press together.

Really wishing I never traded in my 2012 F150, that truck was awesome.

Last edited by Mike Up; 09-12-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:20 PM

Okay, I haven't posted back because I've been confused. I had a rental 2017 F150 very similar to mine. It also had a vibration in the same manor but much less severe. I couldn't compare it on the roads that produced the worst vibration mainly because they were ice and snow covered. But on other roads I did feel it on deceleration even if it was quite a bit less severe.

I'm used to driving my 2012 F150 which had a very isolated feel from the road. In fact it was a main complaint as many reviews said the steering was numb and lacked road feedback.

So I think Ford intentionally changed the feel so you can now feel the road surface.

I actually found the answer to my vibration while searching the forums here but wish I could remember the member to give them credit. They had mentioned the telescoping steering column.

Well I never remembered having this vibration when I first got the truck and in fact didn't even know my steering column telescoped. After fighting to find a comfortable position, I found in the manual that the steering column telescoped. It wasn't long after that, now that I remember back, that the vibration issue seemed to surface.

What I found is that with the steering column pushed all the way in, there is a very slight road feedback when decelerating right after acceleration, and much less noticeable when comparing deceleration from a steady speed.

The more you telescope the steering column out, that slight difference is amplified. Even at 1/2 length it's very minor and seems to be similar to the other 2017 F150 5.0L that I drove.

Pulling the steering column all the way out, produces the concerning vibration I first posted about. Getting the column off the extended out stop, seems to reduce it by quite a bit.

I pulled the column all the way so I could get my legs stretched out but having the column all the way out isn't really needed. I put it about 1/2 way out and the vibration seems to be a none issue now.

Another thing, while the 5.0L revs smooth, it produces it's own vibrations, more so than the 2012 5.0L I had, which in itself, produced more vibration than the 2010 5.4L 3V I had previous to the 2012.

While the acceleration vibration from the 5.0L is smooth (think of a lower robust blender feel), it seems to mask all road feel and vibration. Hense making the difference from acceleration to deceleration noticeable. Comparing from a steady speed, not acceleration, makes the difference not very noticeable if at all.

Hope this is the answer to other's vibration issues in the thread. With the steering wheel telescoped only 1/2 way out, the road feel/vibration is acceptable and most likely would had never been noticed if the column had never extended all the way out.

Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions.

Last edited by Mike Up; 03-13-2017 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Vibration while decelerating