Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using Ford Pass to Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 09:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Using Ford Pass to Remote Start

So my 2017 XLT with Sync3 has remote start but doesn't have Sync Connect.
I am wondering if there is a way for me to use remote start from my phone?
Old 11-19-2017, 09:59 PM

Received 217 Likes on 125 Posts

You would have to purchase the module, if that's even possible. It will not work without sync connect out of the box.
The following users liked this post:
Nitrodoc (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 10:16 PM

Received 705 Likes on 547 Posts

You need the module and the Ford remote access app, 50 dollars per year. The module is only like 110 if you have the 2 way remote now.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by caperj
You need the module and the Ford remote access app, 50 dollars per year. The module is only like 110 if you have the 2 way remote now.
What's the 2 way remote?
Old 11-19-2017, 10:23 PM

The one that's a separate fob works at longer range and beeps to let you know the trucks started. The one way is on the key fob. If you have the one way start you need the 2 way (bi directional) in order to get the remote access app, it also gives you shock detection.

Last edited by caperJ; 11-19-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Sync connect with remote start is awesome. Makes it so much easier to start the vehicle from a distance + the ability to schedule auto start is awesome.

For example if you leave for work everyday at 8:35am - you set your remote start for 8:25am and your truck be nice and toasty by the time you get out to it to leave
The following users liked this post:
robry (11-20-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 12:43 AM
It's my first day

Received 1,681 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by caperj
I didn't know you could buy the module. Do you know if the modem is different by geographic region, for example: GSM or CDMA locked OR carrier locked? I think current USA modems are all AT&T.

in the US I understand the $50 annual fee, but in Canada Ford Pass (as a platform) has been such a miserable commercialized failure that a memo went out to all Canadian Dealerships back in the summer from Ford Canada announcing that Ford Canada will no longer charge customers after the 5 year promotion period. I think the $50 annual fee here has been scrapped.

If I can buy the modems I already know they can easily be wired in and activated with ForScan, granted which ever vehicle they end up in has a 2017 or newer version of firmware already in the BCM that can talk to the modem on the MS CAN Bus.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:10 AM

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Airborne_Ape
in the US I understand the $50 annual fee, but in Canada Ford Pass (as a platform) has been such a miserable commercialized failure that a memo went out to all Canadian Dealerships back in the summer from Ford Canada announcing that Ford Canada will no longer charge customers after the 5 year promotion period. I think the $50 annual fee here has been scrapped.
The $50 fee is for the remote access module, it's a different product for -2016 vehicles. The module works with the added security module to give you remote start/lock/unlock functionality. It's a easy install. sits on the CAN BUS. If your truck already has remote start, no programming is needed.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by tbinmd
The $50 fee is for the remote access module, it's a different product for -2016 vehicles. The module works with the added security module to give you remote start/lock/unlock functionality. It's a easy install. sits on the CAN BUS. If your truck already has remote start, no programming is needed.
I can only speak for where I am. You will need the module and Ford to get the 4 digit code to enable the module. After that you just need to login to enable. It's 50 per year and so far has not failed for me as long as you have cell coverage. You will need the 2 way start for this to work. I did not think I would use this til I went to malls etc that the remote start would not reach, however now that I have it I love it. 50 bucks is nothing in the winter.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:55 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Bunch of misinformation here.

Sync Connect is only available on new vehicles.

Sync Connect uses FordPass app.

Ford Remote Access requires the addition of 2 modules, activation on the truck (can be done with FORScan), and to be turned on by the dealer that sold the module (they do this remotely). This provides cellular access.

You do NOT need any type of remote start, 1 way or 2 way, to add this. If you already have 1 way or 2 way remote start, then you can skip the "activation on truck" step.

Ford was supposed to release a Sync Connect like feature for installation on vehicles that did not come with the option, including older years (basically replacing Ford Remote Access), this past summer, but did not.