Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sync3 APIM module failure or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 06:05 PM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts
Default sync3 APIM module failure or something else?

phone wont pair with sync3 anymore, voice commands are for all intents and purposes unuseable, nav map freezes on a location. steering wheel volume controls are also extremely slow bordering on unuseable at times. ford customer service says an update to sync might fix the problems, but i doubt that. im guessing the apim module is toast, but figured id ask you guys for your opinion first.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:03 PM

Received 600 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by SCrewYou
phone wont pair with sync3 anymore, voice commands are for all intents and purposes unuseable, nav map freezes on a location. steering wheel volume controls are also extremely slow bordering on unuseable at times. ford customer service says an update to sync might fix the problems, but i doubt that. im guessing the apim module is toast, but figured id ask you guys for your opinion first.
Did a factory reset do anything? Open a warranty case with dealer and get it replaced.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:37 PM
Large Member

Originally Posted by TexasFording
Did a factory reset do anything? Open a warranty case with dealer and get it replaced.
fixed it for a short period of time. i have a case open to get it covered under my ESP, waiting to schedule a time when their "sync guy" will be there.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:31 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

I had exactly this problem... they reflashed it which did nothing (I was pissed and took it back same day). They ended up replacing the APIM. No problems since.
The following users liked this post:
SCrewYou (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 04:42 PM
Retired Car Guy

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I was having similar issues; frozen nav screen, screen buttons non responsive, etc. Resets would work for 5 minutes, then back to same issues. Dealer replaced APIM and all is well.
SCrewYou (03-07-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 03:03 AM
It's my first day

Received 1,682 Likes on 887 Posts

just a friendly reminder several releases of iOS 11.2.X causes this. I have iOS 11.3 public beta 4 and Apples patch corrected the issue. Credit goes to DanMc85 for telling me of the fix.
SCrewYou (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 06:31 AM

Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

My screen is going black during which time the steering wheel controls and all other functions of the sync system are frozen. I have to reset it by holding the seek up and power button. I have taken it to the dealer twice so far. The first time they did an update and called it fixed. then it froze up 4 more times and I have video recordings of it freezing up each time. So I took it in again and they checked the system out and said they can't find anything or do anything with the recordings and that if there is no rvc code coming up on a scan there is nothing they can do. I mentioned another guy on one of the forums that had his tech do a write up based on customer concerns and he got his sync module replaced, but they said that is not how they work there. Nothing like having an expensive vehicle that doesn't work and is under warranty but they won't fix the issue.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:20 AM

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I had two lockups, but only Pandora in CarPlay... all other screens seemed normal and it fixed itself the next time I got in the truck.
That said, I do have an issue where CarPlay just simply does not display. Reseating the USB cable fixes it sometimes but not usually. Interestingly, if I switch screens and hit Home, I can see the CarPlay screen in the background as the Home screen slides into view.
I also have an issue with the stock GPS just flat out never working... the dealership has promised to replace the APIM next service appointment.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:39 AM
Large Member

Originally Posted by Airborne_Ape
just a friendly reminder several releases of iOS 11.2.X causes this. I have iOS 11.3 public beta 4 and Apples patch corrected the issue. Credit goes to DanMc85 for telling me of the fix.
come to think of it, this didnt start happening until i upgraded from an iphone 7 to an iphone 10.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:43 AM
Large Member

Originally Posted by Darknight1974
My screen is going black during which time the steering wheel controls and all other functions of the sync system are frozen. I have to reset it by holding the seek up and power button. I have taken it to the dealer twice so far. The first time they did an update and called it fixed. then it froze up 4 more times and I have video recordings of it freezing up each time. So I took it in again and they checked the system out and said they can't find anything or do anything with the recordings and that if there is no rvc code coming up on a scan there is nothing they can do. I mentioned another guy on one of the forums that had his tech do a write up based on customer concerns and he got his sync module replaced, but they said that is not how they work there. Nothing like having an expensive vehicle that doesn't work and is under warranty but they won't fix the issue.
my screen never goes black, it just freezes on whatever screen i had it on. it also takes a while to shut off after getting out of the truck.

Originally Posted by itsbry
I had two lockups, but only Pandora in CarPlay... all other screens seemed normal and it fixed itself the next time I got in the truck.
That said, I do have an issue where CarPlay just simply does not display. Reseating the USB cable fixes it sometimes but not usually. Interestingly, if I switch screens and hit Home, I can see the CarPlay screen in the background as the Home screen slides into view.
I also have an issue with the stock GPS just flat out never working... the dealership has promised to replace the APIM next service appointment.
no carplay here, havent bothered to update the usb hub and all that jazz yet.

Quick Reply: sync3 APIM module failure or something else?