Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Starting with Ford Pass Sync

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Starting with Ford Pass Sync

I hope this doesn't sound odd, I'm asking this for my friend!

He just got the 2019 F150 that he ordered and he's setting it up and learning about it.

We're trying to figure out what it takes to remote start the truck using Ford Pass?

He doesn't think he ordered factory remote start on his truck.

Is that built in on all new F150's, or is it an option?

If it's an option, does anyone know if an aftermarket remote starter can communicate on the data bus to allow Ford Pass to start the truck remotely?

Or, if remote start is optional equipment, is it possible to add Ford's remote start to a new Ford truck that shipped without it?

My limited understanding is that Ford Pass is free to use for all Ford Owners. If that's true then there's obvious advantages to that over any aftermarket remote starter that you have to pay a monthly fee to use on your phone...

Thank you for any and all information!

Lee
Old 06-18-2019, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,141 Likes on 2,840 Posts

Originally Posted by k3000
I hope this doesn't sound odd, I'm asking this for my friend!

He just got the 2019 F150 that he ordered and he's setting it up and learning about it.

We're trying to figure out what it takes to remote start the truck using Ford Pass?

He doesn't think he ordered factory remote start on his truck.

Is that built in on all new F150's, or is it an option?

If it's an option, does anyone know if an aftermarket remote starter can communicate on the data bus to allow Ford Pass to start the truck remotely?

Or, if remote start is optional equipment, is it possible to add Ford's remote start to a new Ford truck that shipped without it?

My limited understanding is that Ford Pass is free to use for all Ford Owners. If that's true then there's obvious advantages to that over any aftermarket remote starter that you have to pay a monthly fee to use on your phone...

Thank you for any and all information!

Lee
if he did not order sync connect then the ford pass app will not work, and no factory remote start is not standard, you have to get at least an XLT 302A package to get factory remote start. Yes you can add it but it will be on a separate 1 button key fob

have him look at the window sticker
Old 06-18-2019, 07:20 AM

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,345 Posts

There are a few things wrong with the post above, for one you don't have to order Sync Connect on most F-150s for 2019, even on a base 300A XLT it is included and is now called FordPass Connect.

Determining if he has it is very simple, just add the truck's VIN in the FordPass app and it will tell you ask you to confirm activation on the head unit if it has it.

Non-FordPass remote start can typically be added by having the dealer turn on the feature on the truck and buy a replacement FOB that will have the remote start button integrated, shouldn't need a separate one button FOB. Everything needed for remote start is already on the truck, it just has to be turned on and have the right FOB.

If you gave us what model he has, or the VIN, or anything like that, we could be more helpful, but I think what I have above would get him everything. If he doesn't have FordPass Connect, that isn't an easy one to add after the fact though.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by vulnox
Non-FordPass remote start can typically be added by having the dealer turn on the feature on the truck and buy a replacement FOB that will have the remote start button integrated, shouldn't need a separate one button FOB. Everything needed for remote start is already on the truck, it just has to be turned on and have the right FOB.
that is not true with the 2015+ trucks...the older ones yes..but not on the newer ones. the fobs work on a different frequency if you have factory remote start VS not. Its not as simple as just a new set of keys and turning the feature on anymore in the BCM. there is a separate module that you have to add and yes you will need a separate fob.

The factory remote start fob operates at 902 MHZ and the non remote start is 315 MHZ, you cant interchange them like you could on the 11-14

Last edited by djfllmn; 06-18-2019 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:01 AM

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Originally Posted by djfllmn
that is not true with the 2015+ trucks...the older ones yes..but not on the newer ones. the fobs work on a different frequency if you have factory remote start VS not. Its not as simple as just a new set of keys and turning the feature on anymore in the BCM. there is a separate module that you have to add and yes you will need a separate fob.

The factory remote start fob operates at 902 MHZ and the non remote start is 315 MHZ, you cant interchange them like you could on the 11-14
Ah okay, my apologies, I swear I had read of tons of people on here activating it (maybe with FORScan?) and just replacing the FOB, but digging now I see people that are adding a module and that if they want to stick to one remote. That sucks, maybe I was just flashing back to when I was reading on here back when I had my 2012.

Sorry for the confusion!
Old 06-18-2019, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by vulnox
Ah okay, my apologies, I swear I had read of tons of people on here activating it (maybe with FORScan?) and just replacing the FOB, but digging now I see people that are adding a module and that if they want to stick to one remote. That sucks, maybe I was just flashing back to when I was reading on here back when I had my 2012.

Sorry for the confusion!
no biggie. Ford did make it more complicated than it has to be
Old 06-18-2019, 08:21 AM

Default WOW! Thank you!

Having installed several remote starts myself over the years, I understand these answers and am VERY appreciative! You guys really know your trucks!

I'm going to show this to my friend tonight in work, and if there's more questions from him I'll get the exact model and the VIN number.

I know he definitely has the Ford Pass Connect, it's on his phone now, he just doesn't know fully how to use it yet!

Thank You!

Lee
Old 06-18-2019, 09:43 AM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

All I can say about it is, I have it with my truck and love it. A nice, neat and tidy little package of tapping an app and being able to start my truck, unlock it, or lock it if I suspect I may have forgotten to (I’ve done this when parking at the airport and hurrying to catch the shuttle!), see where it is when someone else is using it, maintenance status, etc. All of that plus being able to start it from anywhere. As soon as my flight touches down and I can turn on my phone, I can start it and It’s warmed up and ready to take off by the time I eventually get back to it. With no limitation of my physical distance from the truck. It also allows notification of recalls and maintenance history.
The following users liked this post:
k3000 (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 10:06 AM

Default Ford Pass

I agree with you on all of that.

He can do lock/unlock I believe and all the maintenance stuff.

Would he have all that and not remote start too?

L.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:45 AM

Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

I'm just perplexed that someone purchased a new truck and doesn't know if it has remote start or not.

Quick Reply: Remote Starting with Ford Pass Sync