Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger window

Old 09-18-2018, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passenger window

I've got a 2015 SCrew that has a weird window problem. The rear passenger window will not work from that switch, but it works from the master switch at the driver door. I took it in b4 my warranty ran out and they tested it and said the driver door master switch needed to be replaced. I found that odd since that's the one that would roll the window down and the other wouldn't, but hey I'm no mechanic. They replaced it, and sure enough it worked. . . For 13 months. I took it back and told them the same thing happened and they said that it only had a 12 month warranty. How convenient! Then they said they would have to charge me a diagnostic fee to find out if that's what is wrong this time. I'm wondering what the likelihood of it being the same thing is, or if there's something else that could be causing it. Maybe the actual passenger switch this time? Anybody have any issues like this? Any insight would be appreciated
Old 09-18-2018, 09:01 PM

Received 577 Likes on 390 Posts

I would just swap the left and right switches and see if it followed. If it does you have a bad switch if not then it is something else.
The following users liked this post:
robwcormack (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mlarv
I would just swap the left and right switches and see if it followed. If it does you have a bad switch if not then it is something else.
You know those times when somebody tells you something and you think to yourself "Why the heck didn't I think of that?" Having one of those right now.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:21 AM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

That is an odd problem. Also begs the question of why are you having switches go out on a 3 year old truck?
Old 09-19-2018, 10:21 AM

Received 391 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by robwcormack
I've got a 2015 SCrew that has a weird window problem. The rear passenger window will not work from that switch, but it works from the master switch at the driver door. I took it in b4 my warranty ran out and they tested it and said the driver door master switch needed to be replaced. I found that odd since that's the one that would roll the window down and the other wouldn't, but hey I'm no mechanic. They replaced it, and sure enough it worked. . . For 13 months. I took it back and told them the same thing happened and they said that it only had a 12 month warranty. How convenient! Then they said they would have to charge me a diagnostic fee to find out if that's what is wrong this time. I'm wondering what the likelihood of it being the same thing is, or if there's something else that could be causing it. Maybe the actual passenger switch this time? Anybody have any issues like this? Any insight would be appreciated
The power for the back windows go through the drivers master switch, that's why it could cause it to fail.
I would pull that drivers switch out of the door, if I remember right you pry it up towards the front of the truck. No screws, don't have to rip the door apart. But I would look at the connector to make sure a wire is not partially out of the plug. Also if you search for that master switch using google, you can pick them up pretty cheap, or even a nearby junk yard. Hard to believe you have two switches go bad so quick.
EDIT: Forget that front switch, if its working there it has to be the back switch, I would check the plug as long as you are swapping the switches

Last edited by Gordy49913; 09-19-2018 at 10:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
robwcormack (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by tareed94
That is an odd problem. Also begs the question of why are you having switches go out on a 3 year old truck?
I agree! I can't even tell you how mad I was when I went in the service department at the stealership and they said it was 1 month out of warranty so too bad.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Gordy49913
The power for the back windows go through the drivers master switch, that's why it could cause it to fail.
I would pull that drivers switch out of the door, if I remember right you pry it up towards the front of the truck. No screws, don't have to rip the door apart. But I would look at the connector to make sure a wire is not partially out of the plug. Also if you search for that master switch using google, you can pick them up pretty cheap, or even a nearby junk yard. Hard to believe you have two switches go bad so quick.
EDIT: Forget that front switch, if its working there it has to be the back switch, I would check the plug as long as you are swapping the switches
What's odd about that though is that they replaced the drivers master switch when I took it in, and it made the back one work. I thought the same thing, that if it worked at the driver it had to be the back. I just can't imagine what else it could be. I though maybe a relay or something, but they didn't change a relay when they did it. Unless there's a relay built in to the master switch, which begs the question what before that relay is causing it to go bad?

When I get home I'm gonna start with the initial suggestion and move that switch to the other side and see if it follows. That'll at least narrow the problem down some.

I hate chasing electrical problems! I had enough of that crap with my jeep wranglers
Old 09-19-2018, 11:13 AM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

With the amount of electronics and modules in these trucks, an electrical gremlin would be hell to find. Hopefully that isn't your issue.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

They replaced it, and sure enough it worked. . . For 13 months. I took it back and told them the same thing happened and they said that it only had a 12 month warranty.
That's weird, I usually see an unlimited miles 24 month warranty on Motorcraft replacement parts: www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us/home/warranty.html
Old 09-19-2018, 11:29 AM

Received 577 Likes on 390 Posts

You know those times when somebody tells you something and you think to yourself "Why the heck didn't I think of that?" Having one of those right now.
I have them alot sometimes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passenger window