Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fx4 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:22 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Fx4 ?

Just placed an order for a Platinum 4x4 later Wednesday and flat out forgot about the FX4 option.I don't plan on getting off road but how beneficial are the skid plates for protection? I've never had an issue with debris causing undercarriage damage but with the 36 gallon tank I ordered I wonder if this option would've been prudent? I'm not even sure I can change my order at this point so it may be a moot point.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:43 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Call your dealer they can change it, truck probably hasn't started being built yet.

Keep in mind there's a lot more than just skid plates like the electronic rear locker etc.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:46 AM
Speedster

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

When they add the fx4 package to the order, its literally just adding skid plates. I watched my sales guy do it. Why not just order some nicer aftermarket ones?
Old 02-01-2016, 09:58 AM

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

• 3.31 Electronic-locking rear axle with 5.0L V8 engine or 3.5L V6 EcoBoost® Engine
• 3.55 Electronic-locking rear axle with 2.7L V6 EcoBoost® (axle is changed to 3.73 Electronic-locking differential if ordered with 2.7L V6 EcoBoost® Payload Pkg)
• Hill Descent Control™ – when activated, applies brake pressure as needed to descend grades at a controlled speed
• Off-road tuned shock absorbers
• Skid plates to protect the fuel tank, transfer case and front differential
• 4x4 “FX4 Off-Road” decal

Are the shocks as good as you can buy in the aftermarket? No probably not they are still OEM shocks, but I think they are an upgrade.

For me the FX4 package was a must have. Does it make your truck a rock crawler? No of course not. Not sure I would want to take one of these rock crawling, would buy a Wrangler for that.

I do take my truck off road, I wanted the skid plates. They are perfect for what I need, on the way to camp there are a few rocks if you don't approach them right you are going to hit them. My old truck had some pretty nice gashes on the skid plate, guess what I would rather them there than somewhere else on the truck. Again are these heavy duty aftermarket skids plates for rock crawling, haha well no they aren't. Do they help protect?absolutely.

Since an E-locker was also a must have for me, then really the FX4 package is costing about 330 over just an E-Locker (2015). So for me was a no brainer.

I think how you are going to use your truck will dictate a lot about whether it is worth it to you.

There is also this:

I'm astonished that people that pay for an FX4 are not getting their FREE upgrade to LT Kevlar Tires. When you order the FX4 Package, you must scroll down to the tire options and check the box for the Light Truck Tires or you'll get Passenger tires. They're FREE with the FX4 option and the tires retail for $30-$35 more per tire. I know that the sidewalls on LT tires are stiffer and some say that it gives a harsher ride but that only holds true if you're putting them on a "passenger vehicle". I'm coming from an 08 Explorer(passenger tires) to a 15 F-150 and the Light Truck tires ride feels smoother than my Eddie Bauer Explorer did. I put LTs on my 04 Mountaineer and they felt just fine. My daughter is still driving that Mercury and the tires are wearing like iron. I also understand that some people are buying off the lot and are subject to what the dealership orders but if you are ordering then don't Forget to "Check The Box"!
The following 2 users liked this post by articcatbill:
PARIAH (02-01-2016), Toovey2v (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle.foisy@gmail.com
When they add the fx4 package to the order, its literally just adding skid plates. I watched my sales guy do it. Why not just order some nicer aftermarket ones?
That would be incorrect.

Hill decent control, skid plates, shocks, electronic rear locker and the decal of course.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:06 AM

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

I was considering an in stock truck that came without the FX4 package. So, I checked out the cost of the options should I want to upgrade this vehicle. I was surprised how inexpensive the fuel tank skid plate is. If you don't want the rest of the FX4 stuff strongly consider just the skid plate. It's great insurance for a plastic tank.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:07 AM

I was in a rush headed out the door and should have stayed I did order the electronic locker but stuck with the 3.31's. I had spec'd my truck out online first but failed to print my sheet out and ironically, the brochure I used at the dealership didn't have the FX4 listed as an option on the Platinum page. I realize you get the hill descent, the tuned shocks and the stickers (which will be coming off it I can add to the order). Thanks for the input guys, I'm across the street from the dealer, going to check now.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:20 AM

Just had the dealer add it to the plan and they said we would have to see if the plant accepts the change...will notify me either way.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:50 AM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Just get the sticker and throw it on the side of the bed. Done lol I didn't want FX4 but it was on the truck I wanted. Don't see it as a big thing, although I do see other people glance at it, usually those with a Sport or 4x4 decal...
The following users liked this post:
130428 (03-04-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 01:58 PM

Just received a call from the dealership stating the FX4 option was accepted and showing up on the build...also thanks Chad for providing me my VIN already. I guess I go back to compiling my laundry list of aftermarket items to add...

Magnaflow 19054
Undercover SE
LED fogs
Mud guards, bug deflector, in channel vents and floor mats. Still haven't decided between Husky, AVS or Weather tech for these items.
The following users liked this post:
articcatbill (02-03-2016)

Quick Reply: Fx4 ?