Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BLIS and backup warning?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 10:34 AM
retgi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default BLIS and backup warning?

I have two concerns on my 18' Lariat:
1. Is my blind spot system working correctly? The only indication of a vehicle in my blind spot is an orange light in the side mirrors and nothing more if I should happen merge into a car in my blind spot. I'm comparing this to my
wife's 2014 Mazda 6 and whenever you merge into another lane with a car in your blind spot her car gives a nice audible alarm as well as an orange warning light in the side mirror. I can't believe all Ford's system
does is show an orange warning light! Who hasn't merged into another lane and for whatever reason not looked in the side mirror? The Mazda's system seems so much better. What's the point of this system if it doesn't give off an audible alarm
if one makes a stupid mistake and doesn't look to the side when merging? I don't do this often but it happens to all of us once in a while.

2. No back up warning with a pedestrian crossing rear of truck when in reverse! Works fine for vehicle but no warning for a pedestrian. Again I'm comparing to wife's four year old Mazda 6 which gives a nice audible warning when
a pedestrian crosses the rear of her car within 20 feet. Tried this in our driveway and had wife walk in back of truck while in reverse and no warning at all from several distances whatsoever!
Old 04-25-2018, 10:40 AM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

yes, there is no audible warning for the blind spot warning. im pretty sure the cross traffic alert has picked up people walking behind my truck before.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:54 AM
Old Fart

Received 297 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by retgi
1. Is my blind spot system working correctly? The only indication of a vehicle in my blind spot is an orange light in the side mirrors and nothing more if I should happen merge into a car in my blind spot. I'm comparing this to my
wife's 2014 Mazda 6 and whenever you merge into another lane with a car in your blind spot her car gives a nice audible alarm as well as an orange warning light in the side mirror. I can't believe all Ford's system
does is show an orange warning light! Who hasn't merged into another lane and for whatever reason not looked in the side mirror? The Mazda's system seems so much better. What's the point of this system if it doesn't give off an audible alarm
if one makes a stupid mistake and doesn't look to the side when merging? I don't do this often but it happens to all of us once in a while.

2. No back up warning with a pedestrian crossing rear of truck when in reverse! Works fine for vehicle but no warning for a pedestrian. Again I'm comparing to wife's four year old Mazda 6 which gives a nice audible warning when
a pedestrian crosses the rear of her car within 20 feet. Tried this in our driveway and had wife walk in back of truck while in reverse and no warning at all from several distances whatsoever!

As mentioned above, no audible on the BLIS and it is pure pot luck on the pedestrian. I have the same issue. I think the only time the cross traffic with a pedestrian works is if they are truly an android with lots of metal parts in them.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:55 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Who hasn't merged into another lane and for whatever reason not looked in the side mirror?
What?? NO! This is why I don't like systems like BLIS. Now people rely on the electronics to tell them that it isn't safe to change lanes instead of turning their heads and looking before even turning on the turn signal.

I believe that the Ford system of a little light and no audible sound is better than yet another chime to annoy me when I'm driving. Then again, I'm always scanning my mirrors so I already know that there's a car there without relying on the orange LED.
The following 3 users liked this post by Scooter70:
legendarybc (07-06-2019), msgtord (04-25-2018), Skwerl (07-02-2019)
Old 04-25-2018, 10:57 AM

Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts

Is it really that hard to look to make sure the blind spot light is lit up? These are driving assist features, meaning the driver is still required to use standard practices when driving and not let those features do all the work considering they are not fool proof.
The following users liked this post:
Axles of Evil (07-06-2019)
Old 04-25-2018, 12:20 PM

Received 1,157 Likes on 557 Posts

The BLIS light on your side mirror will flash if you turn on your turn signal while it's on, but no audible alarm and I'm damn glad.

My backup warning will absolutely pick up a pedestrian walking close by. It will also pick up a car driving by from like 50 feet away, and I hate that audible alarm too!
Old 04-25-2018, 02:07 PM

Received 98 Likes on 38 Posts

Look in your mirror before you change lanes. The BLIS is excellent, but it requires you to actually pretend like you don't want to sideswipe someone.
Sven150 (04-26-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who hasn't merged into another lane and for whatever reason not looked in the side mirror?
I've never done that...if you have please turn in your license immediately.
Sven150 (04-26-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 03:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

does is show an orange warning light! Who hasn't merged into another lane andfor whatever reason not looked in the side mirror? The Mazda's system seems so much better. What's the point of this system if it doesn't give off an audible alarm

So, you are saying you would like for the truck to make an annoying sound every time a vehicle passes by you? That would drive me crazy.......I will have to say the position and size of the yellow dot on the side mirrors could be better. I think an additional yellow dot in the rear view mirror on the extreme left side and right side of the mirror would get your attention better.

My truck definitely has the audible cross traffic alert that has saved my butt several times backing out of a parking spot or my driveway. When backing out of my driveway, it will pick up another vehicle at least 30 feet or more in each direction. It has also alerted me to pedestrians in the grocery store parking lot as well just not at that great of a range...maybe 10-15 feet.

Last edited by rbraughn; 04-25-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:34 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

Who hasn't merged into another lane and for whatever reason not looked in the side mirror? The Mazda's system seems so much better. What's the point of this system if it doesn't give off an audible alarm
It doesn't happen to me. I always look first and don't rely on the light to make a decision for me. That is the problem with today's drivers that think the vehicle should complete every task for them and they don't have any responsibility.
Axles of Evil (07-06-2019)

Quick Reply: BLIS and backup warning?