Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 5.0L with Multiple Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 03:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2018 5.0L with Multiple Problems

Hello All! Was so excited to finally get back to the Ford family when I recently traded in my Ram that was starting to have problems after just one year. Got a great deal on a brand new RED F150 5.0L Screw with the towing package we really needed for our camper (the Ram didn't have an "official" towing package, and my towing oil and trans temps reflected this!). I've had a few Fords in the past and drove Ford emergency vehicles during my previous career, so I just figured Ford was the natural choice! That said, I've been pretty happy with the truck, rolled over 900 miles on it as of this morning, but I have some serious concerns. I've been lurking on this forum long enough to see they've been described multiple times, but I'd still like anyone's advice or suggestions on what to have the dealer check? Or, if you've gotten these problems actually resolved, what ended up being the issue?

Do I even have any options here or am I just stuck with all these problems? I dont even know where to begin with all of them, here goes:

1. Cold start rattle upon releasing the accelerator, hoping to get the truck in this week to have the newest TSB applied
2. Loud transmission whine at idle once it's warmed up, I have the 10R80. I'm aware of the SSM that describes this, but I think mine is just far too loud to be "normal"
3. Loud "woosh/whistle/whine" as the transmission prepares to shift to ANY gear, quick video I made here:
3 part 2. I did test drive another truck off the dealers lot that also had this shift whine, but it was the exact same build date (10/18) and factory (Kansas City) as mine, which leads me to believe it's the same batch of transmission as the noisy beast I got stuck with
4. Leaving my house a few days ago, it shifted into second, then applying the gas did nothing but rev the motor, no power was going toward forward motion of the truck, once I let the RPMs settle, it SLAMMED into 3rd gear, felt like I got rear ended, this has only happened once
5. Looks like the passenger side of the dashboard is warping? There's a very noticeable "bump" right by the defroster vents
6. There is a very noticeable trans "clunk" when starting the truck after its warmed up, turned off and left to sit for a bit, say while you run into a store

Feeling a bit discouraged and overwhelmed at this point, I was really excited to get back to a gorgeous Ford, but these multitude of issues have been discouraging. My Ram had its problems, sure, but I'd much rather have just stuck those out then deal with all of these on a BRAND new vehicle. My dealer and service department are just waiting for a loaner vehicle to return to the shop and then they'll take the truck in to try and look at these issues. But I've already gotten the "this must be normal because another one did it too" story about the transmission whining. I just cannot accept that the noise is acceptable.

Thank you all for all your support and advice across this forum, I've already learned so much! I also just plan to use this thread to sort of "log" what happens as I work with the dealership in case anyone else has these issues as well.

FTF
Old 12-29-2018, 04:09 PM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

What was diagnosis from the dealer when you took it in for service?
Old 12-29-2018, 04:13 PM

Nothing, they just rode with me in my truck. Acknowledged that they could hear the noise when it shifted. Then we drove a similar vehicle and it did the same thing, so they just told me it must be normal and sent me on my way. They didn't listen until I contacted Ford directly and opened up a case. Now they're willing to take it in and try and address the problems. I'm just worried about the transmission now slipping like it did. I mean, had I been turning across traffic or something when it did that, it could've been much worse!

I guess just fingers crossed for now. I feel like a brand new vehicle shouldn't be having these problems
Old 12-29-2018, 05:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My truck has had similar transmission issues since new. Currently has 13000mi and still runs fine. I have had the truck at Ford a few times and the transmission checks out with no issues. I find it frustrating like yourself that occasionally the transmission just refuses to shift.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:02 PM

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

So a few things:

1. The rattle is timing gear related. A TSB recently put out modifies the commanded duty cycle to the solenoids...for some it quiets the noise a bit, for some it does nothing at all. The 3.5's have a similar issue, my hunch is that there's some combination of problems between the VCT and the timing chain tensioner. I'll carefully say that there has been no confirmed fix to date. Once the TSB has been performed the dealership will say it's normal.
2. The whine is most likely due to the transmission pump. It's offset from the input shaft using a straight cut idler gear. It's noisy. Ford says there's no long-term concern with the whine...I'd be surprised if that's the case. Typically, any gear whine like that means the gears are not meshing as they should. The only fix is to replaced the pump and the gear. Ford deems it as normal, so good luck.
3. There's also a TSB for the transmission shift harshness...many have had luck with the reflash.
4. Many have the warp. That should be fixed under warranty. But most likely will warp again.
5. The trans clunk might actually be a chain slap...not saying for sure that it is...but with the doors and windows shut...a chain slap can sound like a thunk.

My advice to you is to keep bringing it to to the dealership...whether it's the same dealership or another...make sure you test drive it with a tech, make sure you get the invoice...and if Ford fails to fix it after 5-6 times...demand a buyback.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:02 PM

Yeah that’s not good. But not only did mine NOT shift. There was zero power being sent to the wheels. It was just like being in neutral. But I verified it was in drive. Didn’t start putting power to the wheels until it slammed itself into gear.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:08 PM

Thank you gopherman. Awesome insights. I’m hoping they can address as much as possible right away. The truck is much quieter and smoother than my Ram was, but these problems are driving me crazy. I’ve read about the straight cut gears as well, but I’ve been a maniac finding and listening to every F-150 I come across/drive by. And NONE (even the one I test drove with the dealer that also DID whine when shifting) made the idling whine noise as loud as mine. Including a friend of mine who has the EB, but same tranny. His idles/shifts nice and quiet.

You mention a buyback, what’s that? Just like it sounds like? Ford “refunds” my money or buys the truck back? I’ve heard of Lemon Laws, but the whole prospect is a bit terrifying and intimidating.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:15 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I have both the rattle and the whine you describe. My truck now has just over 3k miles on it. There is no fix for either of those problems so I will probably just live with it for now. Definitely annoying. My fear is the same as most, that ultimately it will impact longevity and it will finally become serious once the warranty is up....
Old 12-29-2018, 05:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Excellent video! That's a great way to document the problem.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:26 PM

Torro - I just have a hard time accepting that these noises are normal. I wouldn’t mind a little whine. But when I can hear the idle whine from inside the cab while at a stoplight. That’s insanity. My Ram was completely silent. My wife’s Jeep is completely silent. My mother’s RAV4, well you could hear a mouse fart in that pig. So quiet. I know these are complex machines, but I’m also really sensitive to any weird noises. So I dunno. Maybe I’m the problem! Lol

weevil - thanks. It was a good excuse to josh around with the GoPro. And I thought the shot underneath was actually really cool. Do you know if it’s normal for the front driveshaft to spin, then not spin like that? Just curious. I was in 2h the whole video. I also asked Ford if they would watch my video. They said nope. Haha

Quick Reply: 2018 5.0L with Multiple Problems